Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs @ Islanders | Tomorrow at 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not really. Johnsson’s numbers have been significantly better, and our PK has been as good, if not better without Komarov.

Until those numbers change, should we not roll with the status quo?

You might be right, I don't make a habit of studying stats so I'll admit that I don't know what Johnsson's number are and I also think he's looked really good. I'd be OK with keeping the status quo (for now) if I was certain that Komarov wouldn't feel slighted. I guess he should be OK with it being a gud pro and all, I'd just be more comfortable with Johnsson taking his spot 2 months before the playoffs as opposed to 2 weeks before.

I think it's a tough decision and good on Johnsson for making it tough, I trust Babcock to make the best decision, and also to keep an open mind. Let's think positive, we're going to go all the way and we'll need Komarov and Johnsson both, hell we might even need Martin.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Looks like Johnsson and Carrick are both in tomorrow.

I would bet Polak and Komarov back in on Saturday

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think he wants to keep Komarov ready, but might as well keep running with the hot hand. In a good position and allows Komarov to be as close to 100% as possible for when he comes back in. Might as well let Johnsson play, he's been doing great. Gives him experience and lets Babcock see what he can do.

Hopefully we get another good game. Be really fun to break 100 points. Just from a personal satisfaction point of view :).

Triple digits would be nice indeed!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Looks like Johnsson and Carrick are both in tomorrow.

I would bet Polak and Komarov back in on Saturday
That's a bit weird. Islanders are a dirty team and I'd rather have grit against them and skill vs Winnipeg

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Unless it's your first day watching Babcock, Polak and Komarov will be in lineup when the time comes.
Nobody escapes the playoffs without injury. If you do, you probably got bounced in the 1st round.

Polak has been really good though. :)
Honestly for me - Komarov would sit unless AJ shows he couldn't handle the playoffs. but they were talking about this on the radio re: Holtby/Gruebouer? (however you spell his name). even though everything points that Gru is better you go with whom you trust first then if he sucks, you can go back to the better option vs. going with your yay option, and he struggles then you go with the guy you don't want.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Komarov is a warrior, a proven veteran, the kind of player who we need in the playoffs, especially if we play teams like Boston. Players like Komarov often have a way of stepping it up when the real games begin, benching him before he even has a chance to show that isn't smart and if he sucks, Johnsson would probably replace him anyway. What you don't want to do is tell Komarov that he's lost his job because while he was injured, a rookie took his job. A rookie that has played well but is nevertheless -3 with 1 point over 7 games. Doing this less than two weeks before the playoffs start ... yeah you could do it I guess but it would be risky and there are good arguments against doing it.

If we're going to win the cup it's going to be a long grind and we'll need both Komarov and Johnsson before it's over, guaranteed.

He ain't no warrior no more. He is solid on PK gives us much better option than Brown-Kapanen on the 2nd PK unit. I wouldn't mind if he takes a spot in stead of Johnsson.

We can always switch according to our needs in the playoffs. If we need more scoring depth then Johnsson, if we need to solidify our defense then Komarov.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
The measuring stick game is on Saturday against the Jets, I expect Komo back in the lineup and Fred to start ideally. But who knows?

I've been impressed with Johnsson. He's had a good stint with us given the limited minutes he's played. His speed sticks out glaringly, and his offensive and defensive awareness has looked solid as well. He seems like a player that can play any role, and with any player. He's looked good on the fourth line and in his limited moments with the big boys (Matthews, etc) he doesn't look out of place. Good on him.

But that being said, I'm glad Komo is feeling better - we need to get him some games here in the final stretch so he's good to go for Round 1.

Wonder who starts against the Islanders. McElhinney?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The measuring stick game is on Saturday against the Jets, I expect Komo back in the lineup and Fred to start ideally. But who knows?

I've been impressed with Johnsson. He's had a good stint with us given the limited minutes he's played. His speed sticks out glaringly, and his offensive and defensive awareness has looked solid as well. He seems like a player that can play any role, and with any player. He's looked good on the fourth line and in his limited moments with the big boys (Matthews, etc) he doesn't look out of place. Good on him.

But that being said, I'm glad Komo is feeling better - we need to get him some games here in the final stretch so he's good to go for Round 1.

Wonder who starts against the Islanders. McElhinney?

I'd assume Andersen, Babcock seems to like giving the backup the second game on a back to back, has Andersen ever started the second game on a b2b even?

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Mainboards just keep getting worse. It would be nice, if for once, a Matthews thread wasn't overtaken by insecure Oiler fans.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I'd assume Andersen, Babcock seems to like giving the backup the second game on a back to back, has Andersen ever started the second game on a b2b even?
Nope. Your point is fair, I'm just going with giving Andersen the better team but there is no way to predict that tbh - Islanders can show up as a team possessed tomorrow and maybe having Andersen gets us the win, just like we could have McElhinney start against the Jets and he could potentially steal the game (he's had a fabulous year for us as a backup). So anything is possible, I guess I'm just giving more credit to the Jets than the Isles.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
All they have going for them is having the shiniest toy in the world. I guarantee oilers fans would trade franchises with the leafs in a second and it kills them

I love how they always claim Leaf fans overtake threads, but as always, on cue, they show their insecurity whenever a Matthews thread is made.

Like we get it, McDavid is the best player in the game. Doesn't mean Matthews isn't elite either.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I love how they always claim Leaf fans overtake threads, but as always, on cue, they show their insecurity whenever a Matthews thread is made.

Like we get it, McDavid is the best player in the game. Doesn't mean Matthews isn't elite either.

They're like little children, their franchise is the definition of a dumpster fire and they have hands down the most embarrassing draft history in NHL history with 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 1st overall picks...yet they're still in the basement. From that standpoint I can understand where their vicious/bitter insecurity comes from.

With regards to tomorrows game against the Islanders, Leafs should keep an eye out for that dirty rat Clutterbuck.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I said this several times.
I like McDavid a lot, I wish we drafted him at the time.
We have Matty and I think he's better for us imo. and wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: Dzonna

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

So Komo is going in and the plan was to have him in tomorrow if he was ready. I wonder if they're going to cycle them in rotation till the end of the season or if they'll try to get Komo going.

If Komo can find his groove and get back to where he was last year I think he'd be quite fine on the 4th line with Plek and Kap.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
McElhinney vs NYI and Andersen vs the jets makes sense right?

I'd honestly start McElhinney 2 of the last 3 games of the season assuming they've clinched 3rd in the division by Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad