Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs @ Islanders | Tomorrow at 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Komarov skating in Johnsson’s spot this morning at practice. Johnsson is wearing a defensemen jersey.

*Ducks and Runs*

Update: Babcock told Johnsson and Komarov to switch!

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I mean it's pretty much expected. Johnsson has been good for sure and he'll get his spot going into next season. Komarov has been just fine in that 4th line role though and he deserves to take his spot back.

The Leafs know what they have in Johnsson now and Babcock appears to be very high on him. This is good news, even if Johnsson goes back to the Marlies shortly.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
no, it's idiotic. Komarov has been our worst player in pretty much every metric. Johnsson has been good

Komarov is a warrior, a proven veteran, the kind of player who we need in the playoffs, especially if we play teams like Boston. Players like Komarov often have a way of stepping it up when the real games begin, benching him before he even has a chance to show that isn't smart and if he sucks, Johnsson would probably replace him anyway. What you don't want to do is tell Komarov that he's lost his job because while he was injured, a rookie took his job. A rookie that has played well but is nevertheless -3 with 1 point over 7 games. Doing this less than two weeks before the playoffs start ... yeah you could do it I guess but it would be risky and there are good arguments against doing it.

If we're going to win the cup it's going to be a long grind and we'll need both Komarov and Johnsson before it's over, guaranteed.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Komarov is a warrior, a proven veteran, the kind of player who we need in the playoffs, especially if we play teams like Boston. Players like Komarov often have a way of stepping it up when the real games begin, benching him before he even has a chance to show that isn't smart and if he sucks, Johnsson would probably replace him anyway. What you don't want to do is tell Komarov that he's lost his job because while he was injured, a rookie took his job. A rookie that has played well but is nevertheless -3 with 1 point over 7 games. Doing this less than two weeks before the playoffs start ... yeah you could do it I guess but it would be risky and there are good arguments against doing it.

If we're going to win the cup it's going to be a long grind and we'll need both Komarov and Johnsson before it's over, guaranteed.
sorry, I can't take a narrative driven post seriously when all facts and evidence point to him being a lousy player

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
sorry, I can't take a narrative driven post seriously when all facts and evidence point to him being a lousy player

Lousy is a subjective term. Johnsson has only played 7 NHL games and has played well but at the same time, the one point he's put up hasn't exactly set the world on fire. Take that fact into evidence before throwing Leo under the bus.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
Leo might not be putting lots of points on a score sheet this year, but he is arguably one of our best defensive forwards and penalty killers, he has experience and the ability to step up in the playoffs and shut down some of the best forwards of the potential opponents. Those players are definitely needed in the playoffs. Johnsson will have his chance either later on this year or next. Leo definitely is not a lousy player.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Leo might not be putting lots of points on a score sheet this year, but he is arguably one of our best defensive forwards and penalty killers, he has experience and the ability to step up in the playoffs and shut down some of the best forwards of the potential opponents. Those players are definitely needed in the playoffs. Johnsson will have his chance either later on this year or next.
I don't see how you can argue that at all. His possession and expected goals for percentage is the worst on the team, meaning he regularly gets outplayed and outchanced when he's on the ice more than anyone else on the team. he wasn't even good in the playoffs last year. I honestly wouldn't care if he produced or not if he actually played good defense, but I don't see any evidence that he does.

Plus our PK has been at 92% without Komarov

Reactions: weems

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lousy is a subjective term. Johnsson has only played 7 NHL games and has played well but at the same time, the one point he's put up hasn't exactly set the world on fire. Take that fact into evidence before throwing Leo under the bus.

We don’t need points from our 4th line.

Johnsson-Plekanec-Kapanen have been excellent at maintaining possession and keeping the puck out of our net and in the opposing zone. While that hasn’t translated into the offense we’d like, it will eventually.

Komarov gets SHELLED at 5v5. He has the worst CF% and xGF% among our forwards by quite a bit.

Komarov is a warrior, and a solid PK guy, but Johnsson on the 4th line gives us a better chance to win.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i think honestly, it could be more of a "you don't lose your job due to injury." kind of thing (also - keeps him somewhat fresh should we have an injury). It wouldn't surprise me if Martin draws in after we clinch (maybe Leivo as well). just to get some touches and be good to go.

i do feel - esp. if we play tampa, we don't see Komarov that much, simply because AJ/Kap seem to be very much gelling with Plek and that line is a lot more dangerous.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We don’t need points from our 4th line.

Johnsson-Plekanec-Kapanen have been excellent at maintaining possession and keeping the puck out of our net and in the opposing zone. While that hasn’t translated into the offense we’d like, it will eventually.

Komarov gets SHELLED at 5v5. He has the worst CF% and xGF% among our forwards by quite a bit.

Komarov is a warrior, and a solid PK guy, but Johnsson on the 4th line gives us a better chance to win.

You might be right but it's too early to know this for sure IMO.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Unless it's your first day watching Babcock, Polak and Komarov will be in lineup when the time comes.
Nobody escapes the playoffs without injury. If you do, you probably got bounced in the 1st round.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You might be right but it's too early to know this for sure IMO.

Not really. Johnsson’s numbers have been significantly better, and our PK has been as good, if not better without Komarov.

Until those numbers change, should we not roll with the status quo?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
i think honestly, it could be more of a "you don't lose your job due to injury." kind of thing (also - keeps him somewhat fresh should we have an injury). It wouldn't surprise me if Martin draws in after we clinch (maybe Leivo as well). just to get some touches and be good to go.

i do feel - esp. if we play tampa, we don't see Komarov that much, simply because AJ/Kap seem to be very much gelling with Plek and that line is a lot more dangerous.

You might be right about Martin, he's kind of a forgotten man right now but we still might need him. And I agree that it's important to keep everyone "somewhat fresh", as I said earlier, if we're to win the cup it's gonna be a long grind and we're going to need more than 12 forwards to make a contribution so let's not freak out too much about what the lines are in practice today, who plays tomorrow or even who starts in game 1 of the playoffs.

I also agree that Komarov is more likely to play against Boston than TB. Same goes for Martin of course.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think he wants to keep Komarov ready, but might as well keep running with the hot hand. In a good position and allows Komarov to be as close to 100% as possible for when he comes back in. Might as well let Johnsson play, he's been doing great. Gives him experience and lets Babcock see what he can do.

Hopefully we get another good game. Be really fun to break 100 points. Just from a personal satisfaction point of view :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->