Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs invite Rimouski Oceanic right winger Michael Joly to training camp

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The thing that surprises me a little on the timing of this invite by Leafs is that Joly is 1995 born player which made his draft eligible year 2013 draft for the first time at age 18.

He has been passed over in 2 drafts to date and he just turned 20 years old on May 5th.

By the CBA a player must pass through 3 consecutive drafts before he is considered a UFA (undrafted player) and as such I see Joly as a re-entry player for the upcoming 2015 draft and could actually be drafted by a team this year.

The actual reason for the camp invite and not a signing is because he is still draft eligible.

Leafs seem to be the early bird to the dance here of inviting a player to camp that is still draft eligible in the belief that if he goes undrafted (which is possible) for the 3rd time that he already has a pro camp in his back pocket as a backup plan, when other teams come to call. Very interesting tactic by Leafs thinking outside the box by Hunter/Dubas and its almost like Leafs are using an imaginary extra 7th round pick on Joly trying to secure his rights without drafting him, and trying to discourage other teams from using a late pick on this at the draft. :handclap:

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
The thing that surprises me a little on the timing of this invite by Leafs is that Joly is 1995 born player which made his draft eligible year 2013 draft for the first time at age 18.

He has been passed over in 2 drafts to date and he just turned 20 years old on May 5th.

By the CBA a player must pass through 3 consecutive drafts before he is considered a UFA (undrafted player) and as such I see Joly as a re-entry player for the upcoming 2015 draft and could actually be drafted by a team this year.

The actual reason for the camp invite and not a signing is because he is still draft eligible.

Leafs seem to be the early bird to the dance here of inviting a player to camp that is still draft eligible in the belief that if he goes undrafted (which is possible) for the 3rd time that he already has a pro camp in his back pocket as a backup plan, when other teams come to call. Very interesting tactic by Leafs thinking outside the box by Hunter/Dubas and its almost like Leafs are using an imaginary extra 7th round pick on Joly trying to secure his rights without drafting him, and trying to discourage other teams from using a late pick on this at the draft. :handclap:

Really interesting. Kinda a slap in the face to think a team wants you to go undrafted so they can pick you up for free after, imaginary draft pick mentality. Why not use our 7th on him then if he is still available is the question that comes to mind.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Really interesting. Kinda a slap in the face to think a team wants you to go undrafted so they can pick you up for free after, imaginary draft pick mentality. Why not use our 7th on him then if he is still available is the question that comes to mind.

I'd guess there are several small, skilled, offensive, undrafted 20 year olds around the league.

If he's drafted he's drafted if he isn't he isn't.

I wouldn't use a pick on him ...

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

wouldn't this have the opposite affect? this would bring more attention to himself and teams might see the Leafs interested in him and so other teams might go back and review there notes on him?

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010

Forcing Buffalo, who's camp he attended last year I believe, to draft him or lose him. No free wallets for you Mr. Murray. If he is drafted, nothing ventured nothing lost.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
wouldn't this have the opposite affect? this would bring more attention to himself and teams might see the Leafs interested in him and so other teams might go back and review there notes on him?

Joly brought enough attention on himself by his own play.

He was the player that scored the GWG which was the double overtime championship winning snipe for Rimouski making them QJMHL champs.

He scored 12 times in the post season including 5 goals in the final series against Quebec.

He also excelled at the Memorial Cup recording 2-4-6 points in 4 games finishing tied for 2nd just behind Draisaitl who had 7.

He has been nearly a PPG player in the Q throughout his 3 year career scoring .. 159 games 81 goals 67 assists 148 points.

So he is not really going to catch any teams scouts unaware. That said many teams do not usually draft 20 year olds passed over numerous times and so Toronto has put themselves at the top of the priority list if he is undrafted.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Waste of a pick. We would have drafted him last year then.

How do you figure? I'm assuming a good chunk of our interest in him is based on his performance this season.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that we do use a pick on him, just saying that the only way he's selected in the draft and still comes to our camp is if we're the ones selecting him.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Meh, a PPG player that declined in productivity going from 19 to 20.

Maaaybe he's a 23P guy.

(0.28*45) *(82/45)

He didn't make Buffalo's roster after attending their camp last year. He was less productive this year, despite being a man playing against boys. Why do we want him?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
How do you figure? I'm assuming a good chunk of our interest in him is based on his performance this season.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that we do use a pick on him, just saying that the only way he's selected in the draft and still comes to our camp is if we're the ones selecting him.

Well he had a better PPG and wasn't injured last year. Rimouski went further this year, so he could continue his PPG pace for longer, but that's about it.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
Is it really accurate that he can be drafted? I doubt you are allowed to invite a draft eligible player to camp before the draft. If so, let's invite Mr. McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad