Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs invite Rimouski Oceanic right winger Michael Joly to training camp

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Meh, AHL depth at best. Not good enough to be top 6. Not strong enough to be bottom 6. But who knows.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Meh, AHL depth at best. Not good enough to be top 6. Not strong enough to be bottom 6 consistently.

For next year he should be in the AHL, but if everything goes well we could see him in the show one day, he is only 20

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
For next year he should be in the AHL, but if everything goes well we could see him in the show one day, he is only 20

Agree,

Some players develop later....he might never make the NHL but management must see something in him.

They're not looking for AHL guys.

They're looking for skill guys to play in the AHL that have a chance of making the NHL.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Where does he play in the AHL? The best I can see him do is displace Rodewald on the 4th line, but I doubt he'd do well there.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Where does he play in the AHL? The best I can see him do is displace Rodewald on the 4th line, but I doubt he'd do well there.

If the rebuild truly happens, there will be a few guys graduating from the marlies next season.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If the rebuild truly happens, there will be a few guys graduating from the marlies next season.

Oh, so you are talking about 2016/2017. I was talking about next year. Because really, Leivo (middle 6 last year), Frattin (top 6 replaced by Soshnikov last year), Carrick (bottom 6 last year), McKegg (middle 6 last year) and Devane (bottom 6 last year) are the only ones that will have any shot of graduating from the Marlies. So it's mostly bottom 6 spots, and we have guys signed (Biggs, Gauthier, Verhaeghe, R.Rupert) that are there already, plus Matt Rupert, T.J. Foster and Jack Rodewald already on AHL contracts.

I mean, I'd bring him in for the ECHL. It's better than Manderson and Della Rovere.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
I don't know, he looks small. Marner kinda small. Hahaha

Bring him to camp and hopefully it works out for everyone. If not with us maybe another club gives him a shot.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Don't cut this guy to short here, he was pretty clutch in the playoffs, hes got a little bit of that "gamer" instinct in him imo

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I've watched him a lot the last few seasons and don't think we'll end up signing him. He has good IQ , great hands and a shot but isn't the best skater and doesn't play a 200 foot game. Don't see him as anything more than a depth guy for the Marlies. Could be wrong though , wish him the best.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
can't we think of something better than "free wallet".
?

idn "free agent"?:laugh:

I was just wondering why wouldn't somebody give this guy a chance while watching the Memorial cup. He seemed to be a "go to guy" on Rimouski. Then I looked at his stats. 44 goals in his sophomore season. He is short and maybe not the fastest out there, but he seems to get it done. Can't hurt inviting someone for a tryout. Sometimes you just need a chance.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Really good skill offensively, not sure about the rest of his game though. Probably solid AHL depth, we'll see how he does in camp.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've watched him a lot the last few seasons and don't think we'll end up signing him. He has good IQ , great hands and a shot but isn't the best skater and doesn't play a 200 foot game. Don't see him as anything more than a depth guy for the Marlies. Could be wrong though , wish him the best.

So you are questioning the scouting abilities of the Hunter lead crew?

Should I be concerned about the draft?

:innocent::sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Michael Joly attended Buffalo's rookie camp on an invite last year but never earned a contract.

Joly was lights out and among the best (scoring leaders) in the Memorial cup tournament.

Looks like something in his game caught Leafs management's eye to give him an invite to the Leafs camp. Will be interesting to see if he can earn a pro contract with the Marlies.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Michael Joly attended Buffalo's rookie camp on an invite last year but never earned a contract.

Joly was lights out and among the best (scoring leaders) in the Memorial cup tournament.

Looks like something in his game caught Leafs management's eye to give him an invite to the Leafs camp. Will be interesting to see if he can earn a pro contract with the Marlies.

You must seen have him playing, so what's your take?, is he still a project? is there a room for grooming? there has to be a reason, why he was not drafted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad