TSN: Maple Leafs have offers for D Franson (prefer to re-sign him)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The prefer to re-sign him thing is probably bs - just to make it look like they don't have to get rid of him. And I think they do. Nothing against him (he has his pros and cons) but he won't be worth the coin

Agreed. Unfortunately, the other GMs know the cap problems the Leafs have so they will be squeezing Nonis.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
why dont you people hating on Nonis, go apply for GM positions in hockey? its obvious you guys know more about hockey than some people in the business.

I see. So, you expect everyone on an internet sports discussion forum to have the same opinion as you?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The prefer to re-sign him thing is probably bs - just to make it look like they don't have to get rid of him. And I think they do. Nothing against him (he has his pros and cons) but he won't be worth the coin

I believe the same thing.

This is more posturing on Leafs part to make Franson's value higher then it currently is, and make it appear they really ;) don't want to part with him.

Franson biggest advantage is his right hand shot which Leafs like, because the majority of the defense shoots left.

I doubt Nonis would have any real problem dealing him if the right deal came along.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
There isn't an abundant supply of players with his size and shot. On a team where skating isn't exposed constantly because of a strong system he will continue to put up points and his plus/minus wouldn't look awful

I don't have a big issue keeping Franson but he needs to be a bottom pairing guy and needs to be paid like one. he's been good on the bottom pairing playing 16 minutes a game with PP time. he's good at that role, he just can't play top 4 minutes, he's not good enough defensively to do so.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Agreed. Unfortunately, the other GMs know the cap problems the Leafs have so they will be squeezing Nonis.

We don't have cap problems. $22.3 Mil to sign Franson , Gardner and Bolland (maybe) Ranger (maybe) and get 4 other bottom 6 forwards sorted with a back up goalie. Should be easy even if the first three named wanted 4 million.

Lets stick to real problems

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
This is pretty much it.

Friedmen was saying on the radio that GMs are being directly held responsible for knowing who's available and at what price, regardless if that team has the assets to get that player or not. You have to know the market value of different situations. He gave the example of one NHL GM being blasted by the owner because he didn't know Joe Thornton was available 5-6 years ago.

Nonis is trying to make it super public that Franson is available and he wants better offers for him.

May I please ask, what I see as a completely logical and poignant question, why wouldn't Dave Nonis just speak to his trading partner if he wanted a little/much more in regard to a trade for any player, which is of course a part of his job?

Seeing of course that GM's, as Eliot so rightly pointed out "know who's available!"

Which leads of course leads to the obvious question in this little myth that Dreglund has perpetuated(with the help of the gossipy intertainmentnet) because of a loose familial association, that he is somehow the mouthpiece of the man who holds the position of General Manager of the TMLHC?

Which in turn of course then begs the question of why in dawgs name would Nonis need him?

please take your time to answer, points will be deducted for any further mythologizing!

HonestHockey*

I don't have a big issue keeping Franson but he needs to be a bottom pairing guy and needs to be paid like one. he's been good on the bottom pairing playing 16 minutes a game with PP time. he's good at that role, he just can't play top 4 minutes, he's not good enough defensively to do so.

Agreed. The problem being no one passes him at this point. Rielly? Maybe this year but at this point that's it. Need some new blood in the organization on the point.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We don't have cap problems. $22.3 Mil to sign Franson , Gardner and Bolland (maybe) Ranger (maybe) and get 4 other bottom 6 forwards sorted with a back up goalie. Should be easy even if the first three named wanted 4 million.

If you're saying the Leafs have the cap space due to the cap increase to ~$70 mil to bring back most of their own players and ice the same team next year without improvements then you're likely right.

However the general rule is top teams try to keep their teams together to competitiveness purposes, not so much the desire of non playoff teams however.

Franson was making $2 mil and lead the Leafs defense in scoring so he will be looking for a hefty raise perhaps as much as double his salary.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Stop paying so much attention to the plus/minus stat. It's the worst way to tell a players worth.

Keeping Franson is the better option. Potential to be a 40-50 point defenseman. He can hit.. very well. Has an insane ability to get shots through, even if not threat for goals... on net with rebounds and deflections. Unless he is asking for way to much... DEFINITELY re sign him.

He's an amazing player. That is, when you ignore the fact that he gives up the puck a lot and has terrible skating.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Agreed. The problem being no one passes him at this point. Rielly? Maybe this year but at this point that's it. Need some new blood in the organization on the point.

yea so really the problem isn't Franson he just forced to play a role he's not good enough at. we don't have enough top pairing Dmen imo, therefore we force Gunner to play higher then he should, and Franson then steps into what should be Gunner's spot and it's to high for him. to me you re-sign Franson to a cheap one year deal and play him 3rd pairing minutes hope he plays better, and then sell him at the deadline and then bring up a Percy/Granberg for the remainder of the season and they can then fill his spot on the bottom pairing the following year.

HonestHockey*

He's an amazing player. That is, when you ignore the fact that he gives up the puck a lot and has terrible skating.

Pretty funny how many people just follow along in here. Franson had the same amount of giveaways as Gardiner but led team in takeaways. At least he goes and gets it back.

Did anyone watch a Matt Greene or Willie Mitchell skate? Both just finished with Stanley Cup rings.

Stop with the giveaways and skating.

HonestHockey*

yea so really the problem isn't Franson he just forced to play a role he's not good enough at. we don't have enough top pairing Dmen imo, therefore we force Gunner to play higher then he should, and Franson then steps into what should be Gunner's spot and it's to high for him. to me you re-sign Franson to a cheap one year deal and play him 3rd pairing minutes hope he plays better, and then sell him at the deadline and then bring up a Percy/Granberg for the remainder of the season and they can then fill his spot on the bottom pairing the following year.

Granberg is a player I'd like to see more of.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Which is why you have him on a 3rd pairing.

Look, I understand all the hate Franson has been getting. I mean, there was a BRUTAL stretch where he was garunteed to have at least one goal against a game. But I don't think Franson was used right last season... He was clearly much better two years ago.

At the end of the day... a 6'5" Right Handed, Mobile (for his size), Physical, Offensive defensman are difficult to get in the NHL. I think we're a better team with Franson than without IF we use Franson properly.

This said... if he's asking for North of 3 million... then yes, of course we trade him!

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
*If* the Leafs are really shopping Phaneuf, I think they'll want to hold off on moving Franson until they know they're keeping Dion.

Phaneuf currently takes the #1 role in every situation - PP, SH, defending top players of all varieties, etc. If he were to be moved, it would likely take a group of guys to replace him in the different jobs he does - a #1 by committee, so to speak. Leafs, already short on big physical defencemen, would likely want to use Franson as one of the members of that committee.

Otherwise, I'd like to see a spot opened up on the roster for our young guys to fight over (I see Granberg having the inside track at the moment), and Franson might be the guy you move out to make that spot.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
May I please ask, what I see as a completely logical and poignant question, why wouldn't Dave Nonis just speak to his trading partner if he wanted a little/much more in regard to a trade for any player, which is of course a part of his job?

Seeing of course that GM's, as Eliot so rightly pointed out "know who's available!"

Which leads of course leads to the obvious question in this little myth that Dreglund has perpetuated(with the help of the gossipy intertainmentnet) because of a loose familial association, that he is somehow the mouthpiece of the man who holds the position of General Manager of the TMLHC?

Which in turn of course then begs the question of why in dawgs name would Nonis need him?

please take your time to answer, points will be deducted for any further mythologizing!

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I only really understood one point you made.
The way you write is somewhat hard to follow.

"Why does Nonis need Dreger versus going to the GMs himself"

I guess my counter would be - having Dreger come out and say it instantly gets the message across all of social media. Him doing it himself would involve him talking to every single GM. That seems way more desperate.

"Hey Brian, you're willing to give a 3rd for Franson? Well, I'd like more? No. Okay, I'll call around and let you know when a better offer comes along so you try to beat it if you still want him."

It's the other GM's job, but why leave things up to chance if the other GMs are going to do their job? One tweet - gets the message across to everyone. Done. No phones calls unless the interest from the other buyers are legitimate.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007

I don't get this. You want to go back next season with essentially the same team that failed?

nussell

Nov 29, 2013
Ontario
we need to dump this guy. i would even take a 3rd for him. to think of it the onley dmen i would keep is rielly and gunner after that everyone else is ****. we have better dmen in the ahl

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
we need to dump this guy. i would even take a 3rd for him. to think of it the onley dmen i would keep is rielly and gunner after that everyone else is ****. we have better dmen in the ahl

Or try and use Franson to move up in the draft.

NEWSDAY: Arthur Staple reports NY Islanders GM Garth Snow is willing to trade his first-round pick (fifth overall) for an NHL-ready player who can help the club now.

Franson and 8th for 5th overall in 2014.

ThrillinPhil

Tdot.
Jan 9, 2011
Or try and use Franson to move up in the draft.

Franson and 8th for 5th overall in 2014.

Thats something I could honestly see happening on Friday, but if you post that proposal in the trade forum, you would get eaten alive for even suggesting that.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If you're saying the Leafs have the cap space due to the cap increase to ~$70 mil to bring back most of their own players and ice the same team next year without improvements then you're likely right.

However the general rule is top teams try to keep their teams together to competitiveness purposes, not so much the desire of non playoff teams however.

Franson was making $2 mil and lead the Leafs defense in scoring so he will be looking for a hefty raise perhaps as much as double his salary.

Yes however the numbers allow for at least one significant addition. As much as we all love to be negative it is likely we can expect progress in our younger players as well. I suspect our management views us as a team on the rise that with a tightening of defense, a few key additions and improvement from our youth will take another step forward.

I know these are not popular ideas here but .....

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I don't think Randy can use him properly. I'm prepared to turn the page on Franson. If it's under $2.5, OK bring him back. But nothing over that.

leafstilldeath*

If Franson is willing to accept a bridge deal and the coaching team uses him as a 3rd pair 2nd PP RHD

I am fine with it if not, Franson has gotta go

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I don't get this. You want to go back next season with essentially the same team that failed?

Did I say we cant make trades ? Can we not afford a major acquisition ? Can we not expect improvement from within ?

Have we not learned that free agency will not solve all our problems ?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Pretty funny how many people just follow along in here. Franson had the same amount of giveaways as Gardiner but led team in takeaways. At least he goes and gets it back.

Did anyone watch a Matt Greene or Willie Mitchell skate? Both just finished with Stanley Cup rings.

Stop with the giveaways and skating.

what does Gardiner, Greene, or Mitchell have to do with a comment about Franson's skating and giveaways?

Your comment belongs in the "let's compare and contrast Cody Franson, Jake Gardiner, Matt Geene, and Willie Mitchell" thread. mods please move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad