TSN: Maple Leafs have offers for D Franson (prefer to re-sign him)

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The biggest problem that the Leafs have had recently is their talent assessment.

They have either held on to players to long and got nothing for them or given up players too early.

Cody Franson is who he is at this point in his career. He's slow, but has a solid shot and has size.

The biggest problem with Franson last year, is the defence wasn't tailored to him. With such a big rush team, he was getting beat easily in transition and it wasn't pretty to see. You got to see him 2 years ago when they were a bit more structured in their own end and forwards came back to help a lot more, he looked good.

Without any change to the roster, he would need to go.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
I haven't looked but how many of his hits are at home vs away? It's such a subjective stat depending on who's watching. The only check worth a lot is the one that separates a man from the puck.

In the 79 games he played, 39 were away and 40 were home. 168 hits at home and 114 were away. If the argument is that our scorekeeper was generous (very possible), and we just projected his away hits (very very subjective way to view stats) he would've had 228. That puts him 16th overall, one hit behind Mark Stuart. Anybody who's top 25 or heck even 50, in a league of over 500 players, I wouldn't exactly call soft. When he COULD be positioned close enough to another opposing player, he would lay the body on them. I don't think you can exactly point to over 280 hits and dismiss it as bogus scorekeeping.

He has a lot of faults. A lot. I don't think his physicality and point shot were among those. I'm not saying I want Franson back next year (I really really don't). I'm just trying to be objective towards a player. Leaf fans have a habit of overvaluing certain players and in turn we, heavily scrutinize (most of the time deservedly) others.

o Oblivious

Sep 30, 2013
The problem is, Franson is going to be searching for that 3.5-4.5M / year contract that he is nowhere near worth.

In reality, he is worth somewhere in the 2-3M, closer to 2.75M / year.

He is a RHD with a heavy shot who plays 1st line PP. He has slow foot speed and plays sub average defense, which leads to mistakes in his own end. He is a 3rd pairing D who is easily outclassed offensively by Reilly, Gardiner, and even Dion at this point in his career.

The fact that he spent 80 games on the 1st PP unit before Carlyle decided to make a change baffles me.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Like the day the Leafs brought back Carlyle, the minute this clown is re-signed is the minute my expectations are once again lowered for this team.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
It means that he is not an important part of the team, we have the players (rielly, gardiner) to replace what he brings !!

Heck look at anaheim or any winning team, they are letting Hiller, Koivu and winnik walk instead of resiging someone who is not part of their future plans, thats what i call proper management

Our GM seems to be unwilling to trade UFAs, RFAs, and still refuses to let them walk for nothing, instead we overpay (Grabo, potentially Bolland...)

I'm not an advocate of keeping him here.
I'm just curious as to what the fans think his value is to the rest of the league. I think Rielly and Gardiner are much different players than Franson (better but that's besides the point).

If we sold his rights for a 4th, I'm sure there will be buyers. I'm trying to see what fans think we can get so when he does (I'm pretty sure he's gone) go, we can assess how Nonis did.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
The problem is, Franson is going to be searching for that 3.5-4.5M / year contract that he is nowhere near worth.

In reality, he is worth somewhere in the 2-3M, closer to 2.75M / year.

He is a RHD with a heavy shot who plays 1st line PP. He has slow foot speed and plays sub average defense, which leads to mistakes in his own end. He is a 3rd pairing D who is easily outclassed offensively by Reilly, Gardiner, and even Dion at this point in his career.

The fact that he spent 80 games on the 1st PP unit before Carlyle decided to make a change baffles me.

This is pretty bang on. :handclap:

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Like the day the Leafs brought back Carlyle, the minute this clown is re-signed is the minute my expectations are once again lowered for this team.

Cody will be missed, there are many more problems on this team than Franson that need to be addressed. A 2nd and a good young prospect at the very least. 6'5" D's with a cannon for a shot with offensive upside are hard to come by. For the minutes he plays he's a bargain over Clarkson, 7 more years for Cody.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
why dont you people hating on Nonis, go apply for GM positions in hockey? its obvious you guys know more about hockey than some people in the business.

It's not our job. It is his however. That's the problem. Not a difficult concept to grasp, friend.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
The biggest problem that the Leafs have had recently is their talent assessment.

They have either held on to players to long and got nothing for them or given up players too early.

Cody Franson is who he is at this point in his career. He's slow, but has a solid shot and has size.

The biggest problem with Franson last year, is the defence wasn't tailored to him. With such a big rush team, he was getting beat easily in transition and it wasn't pretty to see. You got to see him 2 years ago when they were a bit more structured in their own end and forwards came back to help a lot more, he looked good.
Without any change to the roster, he would need to go.

I'd argue the bigger problem he was simply playing harder minutes.

Last year he was used in all situations as a top 4 Dman because Carlyle had no choice with Gardiner and Rielly also needing to be insulated at this point in their careers.

The year prior Kostka got exposed beyond his capabilities which allowed Franson to be in the situation he's capable of as top PP option, playing 3rd/4th line 5 on 5 and almost never on the PK.

Until we have two or 3 top pairing quality option Dmen to roll out the D group will always be an issue. Rielly becoming one of them is absolutely crucial to the Leafs fortunes over the next decade or so.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What about Franson, Abbott and Hartikainen for Schroeder...

And their 2nd round pick.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'm not a necessarily a Franson fan, but I can see the desire in wanting to keep a player like him around. I don't want to judge anyone's defensive game too harshly under Carlyle, and I think he's a good offensive contributor. His size and ability doesn't come around too often and the fact he's a RHD certainly helps. The UFA market for defenseman isn't ripe with great amounts of talent (especially if the Leafs move someone like Phaneuf), so if they can retain him at a good price under term I don't think I would mind too much.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
depending on price i would keep him. Players have off years and he played an fantastic game against Boston a few years ago.

He was injured this year. I really have no idea whats going to happen with him this year. He clearly had a down year but from his prospective he's already taken a paycut..or two and may want to get paid this year.

In any situation if I was Franson i would have fired his agent who put him in this situation.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I actually see Franson rebounding. If Carlyle can actually throw together a decent gameplan rather than just have Phil and everyone stand at the opposing blueline all game then Cody's shortcomings wont be so horribly apparent. Yeah I screamed at the TV pretty frequently this season when he was on the ice, but he also is a player with his own value.

That being said if anyone offers something even close to an overpayment (anything in the first round, or early 2nd round + decent RHD prospect) then Nonis better not even think twice before asking his Dad (Shanahan) for permission to make the move.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You guys are too funny. One year ago everyone was on the Franson train, now everyone acts like he is Hitler.

Franson is one of the scapegoats, the other is Phaneuf. Funny how they both are apparently terrible and useless. Franson had a bad season defensively, but in every other aspect he was good or elite. He was our PP guy who made our PP top in the league.

He has an elite point shot, big guy, our only RHD, top in hits, what more do we want?

His biggest weakness is that he is slow. He isn't bad defensively, he just can't keep up to really fast players, which is why he will never be a #1, but is an ideal #4.

Two seasons ago in that role he excelled, he was worse this year, but not terrible like some will claim. Unless he wants 6 mil a year, for 4 mil a year he would be a great #4 dman.

HonestHockey*

You guys are too funny. One year ago everyone was on the Franson train, now everyone acts like he is Hitler.

Franson is one of the scapegoats, the other is Phaneuf. Funny how they both are apparently terrible and useless. Franson had a bad season defensively, but in every other aspect he was good or elite. He was our PP guy who made our PP top in the league.

He has an elite point shot, big guy, our only RHD, top in hits, what more do we want?

His biggest weakness is that he is slow. He isn't bad defensively, he just can't keep up to really fast players, which is why he will never be a #1, but is an ideal #4.

Two seasons ago in that role he excelled, he was worse this year, but not terrible like some will claim. Unless he wants 6 mil a year, for 4 mil a year he would be a great #4 dman.

I'm pretty sure Leaf management gets plenty of laughs out of leaf fans and reporters.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

Scapegoat? He's been a bad d-man ever since he joined us, he was better last season as it was A: a shortened season, B: he faced much weaker competition, C: the competition wasn't in top-shape and Franson-Fraser excelled, both were playing in different leagues beforehand. Exactly the reason why Kostka looked good at the start, he was already in great shape by the start of the season by playing in AHL.

This year he was given more minutes, hardly did anything special on the PP, and gaveaway essentially a goal per game.

case in point, game 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnhIv4D1U98
The first highlight is what franson CONSTANTLY does.

I think Phaneuf is great positionally and is a top pairing d-man, Franson has shown nothing, and his lack of mobility hurts us even more, replacing him with Granberg would easily be addition by subtraction and would save 2.5m+ in capspace. His only saving grace is his shot on the point, so if you have a really mobile DFD next to him he might do alright, otherwise he's gonna hurt your team.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Cody will be missed, there are many more problems on this team than Franson that need to be addressed. A 2nd and a good young prospect at the very least. 6'5" D's with a cannon for a shot with offensive upside are hard to come by. For the minutes he plays he's a bargain over Clarkson, 7 more years for Cody.

Franson shot isn't a cannon, he just gets it off fast and finds the net. More than half the battle is getting it through the legs bodies from the point, something franson always has been pretty good at. He isn't no t.j Brennan or Sheldon souray, though. Those guys have cannons.

Also just because clarkson has a big fat ugly contract doesn't mean you keep going to it as a comparison. John Tavares only makes 5 something million a year, snow couldn't say to vanek, hey, Tavares is our standard, you have to make less than him because your not as valuable.

Orbital

Sep 10, 2009
Denver,CO
This. Cant make a breakout pass to save his life, gets caught pinching at least once per game and as the previous poster states, absolutely brutal in his own end, and especially soft for someone who is 6'5".

If they sign him, this team is not serious about change.

Yes,he's is slow and has a low IQ,but he does love to shoot the puck and has a howitzer that is accurate. If he can keep checking mofos into the boards in the D-Zone,then I'd keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad