TSN: Maple Leafs have offers for D Franson (prefer to re-sign him)

mikebel111*

I like that they're trying to get a reasonable offer for him. They're fully aware of his horribly ****** defensive game, so if he is brought back, he better be staying on the 3rd-pairing with very limited minutes. I've never seen a defensemen who gives up so many short-handed chances to the other team, it was getting downright ridiculous at some parts of the season.
Its amusing some people blamed Rielly and Gardiner for the horrific errors Cody made.

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
We've had some sticky situations contract wise with Franson so I'd expect an overpayment if he is resigned.

I don't mind Franson but I'd rather not pay north of $3 mil which he will most certainly get. I think we can replace him internally.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It really seemed like Franson was directly responsible for at least 1 goal against per game every single game from the beginning of the season through to the Olympic break.

For some reason he played better after that but for me I can't just forget how bad he was the majority of the season.

Addition by subtraction is my opinion on Cody.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Chances are he'll probably have a better season considering just how brutal he was wall year, so I wouldn't be against hanging on to him and then trading him. Probably won't bring much back at the moment to be worthwhile.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Look at his puck possession stat under any coach not named Randy Carlyle...

mikebel111*

Would you trade him if the best offer was a 4th rounder ?

Were you one of those people who blames Rielly and Gardiner for the mistakes he made.
For the record, I think we can get a late 2nd for him

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
What's your point?

He is still garbage in own end
Please Nonis get rid of him

Who hasn't been garbage in our own end under Carlyle?

Not one player had a positive puck possession stat under Carlyle in 2 straight years.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Unacceptable. Meaning a 3rd rounder?

tumblr_mkclyb8TD11radbz1o1_500.png

Remember when Kaberle was first on the block (and didn't get traded) and BB talked regularly about the number of teams interested? Interested in acquiring, but not in paying a decent price for.

He is huge, had a ton of hits, and has offensive skills, and if a club thinks they can bring back the guy from two seasons ago, they wil pay a lot for that. I think his best value is in a package, but to a club that likes his A game and there might not be that many Franson lovers who also have assets and a need. I would be fine if they kept him, but only if Gardner was moved. Three guys trying to find their game is too many. I have no idea why they didn't see that during the season.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
What's your point?

He is still garbage in own end
Please Nonis get rid of him

This. Cant make a breakout pass to save his life, gets caught pinching at least once per game and as the previous poster states, absolutely brutal in his own end, and especially soft for someone who is 6'5".

If they sign him, this team is not serious about change.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
This. Cant make a breakout pass to save his life, gets caught pinching at least once per game and as the previous poster states, absolutely brutal in his own end, and especially soft for someone who is 6'5".

If they sign him, this team is not serious about change.

Yes to all of the above EXCEPT this.
He was 2nd in the league in hits. Hard to call a guy who accomplishes that as "soft"

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
He was 2nd in the league in hits. Hard to call a guy who accomplishes that as "soft"

Do you remember any of those hits? they were basically love taps.

Seriously not interested in bringing this guy back on the team and I'm shocked management is considering it. He was our worst d-man by far and it would be addition by subtraction to let a guy like Granberg play in his place.

He has no mobility, makes boneheaded giveaways(he did this in the year before too which everyone said he was decent).

His only redeeming factor is his shot on the point, so yes he has value there.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
He needs to go...! If franson is still on the roster next year, we're in big trouble, unless we're unloading some of our other soft dmen.

Honestly, I'd the best offer we get for him (even a 4th), just to make sure he's not on the roster nxt year!

His value should be a late 2nd or early 3rd imo, on a team that needs some O on their PP, or sees more potential in him.

He is soft, don't let the stats kid you. Give Gardiner or Reilly the PP1 mins he had, and they would get similar pts imo.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006

I haven't looked but how many of his hits are at home vs away? It's such a subjective stat depending on who's watching. The only check worth a lot is the one that separates a man from the puck.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
He needs to go...! If franson is still on the roster next year, we're in big trouble, unless we're unloading some of our other soft dmen.

Honestly, I'd the best offer we get for him (even a 4th), just to make sure he's not on the roster nxt year!

His value should be a late 2nd or early 3rd imo, on a team that needs some O on their PP, or sees more potential in him.

He is soft, don't let the stats kid you. Give Gardiner or Reilly the PP1 mins he had, and they would get similar pts imo.

Gardiner already gets similar pts to him (Gardiner 31, Franson 33 this yr) w/o getting [much] pp1 time. Even Reilly had 27 pts w/o any pp1 time. If you give his pp mins to Reilly/Gardiner, either should be able to get ~40pts next season (if not more).

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Does that mean you wouldn't trade him for anything less?

It means that he is not an important part of the team, we have the players (rielly, gardiner) to replace what he brings !!

Heck look at anaheim or any winning team, they are letting Hiller, Koivu and winnik walk instead of resiging someone who is not part of their future plans, thats what i call proper management

Our GM seems to be unwilling to trade UFAs, RFAs, and still refuses to let them walk for nothing, instead we overpay (Grabo, potentially Bolland...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad