News Article: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis talks draft, Bolland and trades

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The good thing about having a GM like Nonis is he won't cripple your team by throwing away picks, young players etc.

The bad news is, he'll literally do nothing outside of a couple small trades, and our team needs more than a couple small trades considering the mess we are right now.

Basically, if you're expecting Nonis to do much of anything you're sadly going to end up very disappointed. He's somewhat of a "boring" GM. :laugh: He'd rather sit around and be patient...unfortunately patience isn't what this team needs right now.

I disagree with this assessment of Nonis. He made one of the best trades of the past decade for Vancouver in acquiring one of the top goalies in the league. In his 1.5 seasons calling the shots here hes already acquired a top rung goaltender for us, without giving up significant assets.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I don't understand how you put someone like Phaneuf in a group with someone like Lupul. One is a workhorse who plays 25 mediocre minutes, is usually among the top 20 in scoring for d, is the captain of our team, and the other has shown that he might as well be a part time employee.

I really don't get the hate on for Dion Phaneuf, I just don't. It's like a small portion of Leaf Nation has gone full blown brain dead. The guy is an average defenseman and isn't one of the key parts of this teams future.

I agree. I just had to fix up your post a little.

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
Can't believe Nonis is even entertaining the thought of resigning Franson the give away king.

I don't think he is the king
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-giveaways-statistic/2013/

Second in Hits behind Martin and ahead of Backes Top defenceman
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-hits-statistics/2013/

Top Leaf in takeaways
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-takeaway-statistics/2013/

His Corsi statistics

http://www.extraskater.com/player/463/cody-franson

Watching him he did seem to give the puck away at costly times but then again he is under the negativity microscope. In Toronto we do focus on imperfections. I guess, but I am not sure it is because we have lost for so long and we get jaded. Our media certainly has.

Lets be fair to the guy!

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
You didn't fix anything, except to prove my point that a small part of Leaf Nation has gone brain dead.
Thank you for agreeing with me and proving it.

Team results would say otherwise. Perhaps those of us who are "brain dead" are realist, and don't drink all the kool-aid the Toronto media presents to us. For crying out loud the guy was voted the most overrated player in the league by his peers. I would think they would have a quite a bit more insight on how easy it is to play against Dion than some random posters on an internet forum.

You know what's really funny? P.K Subban is about to sign a deal for roughly the same amount as Dion Phaneuf is going to make, and P.K is twice the defensemen Dion is or ever will be.

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
Team results would say otherwise. Perhaps those of us who are "brain dead" are realist, and don't drink all the kool-aid the Toronto media presents to us. For crying out loud the guy was voted the most overrated player in the league by his peers. I would think they would have a quite a bit more insight on how easy it is to play against Dion than some random posters on an internet forum.

You know what's really funny? P.K Subban is about to sign a deal for roughly the same amount as Dion Phaneuf is going to make, and P.K is twice the defensemen Dion is or ever will be.

161 players on a list that included Ovie, Roberto Luongo, Jay Bouwmeester Kesler and Iginla.

Last edited:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
See I disagree, I think one of our bigger problems is that the forwards do not come back to help out. It's simple hockey really, unless you're Kessel good, there is no reason for you to be halfway to Milwaukee while Dion has the puck behind our net. I can't count the number of times I screamed 'Help him out, get up the damn wings" last season.

That was by design from our great coaches... The stretch pass and tip in breakout that resulted in more icings than any freaking team. When you have not 1 but 2 PMD and you place shackles on them this is the net result. Further more how many people notice that Kadri was the only center who curled back stick on the ice giving a target for the D to make a crisp pass to him. Bozak is at center ice playing the stretch pass tip in play and you wonder why the teams puck possession game stinks even the top line?

I'm on record here and this will be the last time I'll say this cause it's getting tiring listening how the Leaf players suck when in fact this was the worst coaching job of an effective team game in the history of the Leafs.

I don't know what the reason is for Carlyle surviving from the coaching changes but if Carlyle doesn't change not only the tactics of the TEAM GAME IN HOW THEY PLAY OFFENSE but also greatly alleviates the micromanaged game of running a top line & a 5 man shut down unit strong in a match up game this team is going to be much the same we've seen for 2 years straight . Getting outshot, out played each game rather the opposition is LA or freaking Buffalo regardless of changes to the roster.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Top Leaf in takeaways

His Corsi statistics

Watching him he did seem to give the puck away at costly times but then again he is under the negativity microscope. In Toronto we do focus on imperfections. I guess, but I am not sure it is because we have lost for so long and we get jaded. Our media certainly has.

Lets be fair to the guy!

It's always funny how this gets misconstrued. He didn't start there, he earned his way. Ergo, he deserves it

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

Top Leaf in takeaways

His Corsi statistics

Lets be fair to the guy!

That's the issue. Also I wouldn't rely too heavily on giveaway, takeaway, hit stats. They're consistently inconsistent.

I'm not interested in the assets we receive for Franson, just get rid of him and Ranger.

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
That's the issue. Also I wouldn't rely too heavily on giveaway, takeaway, hit stats. They're consistently inconsistent.

I'm not interested in the assets we receive for Franson, just get rid of him and Ranger.

True I vividly remember being annoyed when Franson would give the puck away it got to the point that I would cringe when I saw him jump over the boards. However, when I took a step back and tried to look at the big picture I found that the stats did not show the same thing. I know for sure that the game isn't played on paper or an a spread sheet but we can't dismiss them out of had. Besides, all I asked was to be fair. To me that is to include his statistics to rate the player.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
True I vividly remember being annoyed when Franson would give the puck away it got to the point that I would cringe when I saw him jump over the boards. However, when I took a step back and tried to look at the big picture I found that the stats did not show the same thing. I know for sure that the game isn't played on paper or an a spread sheet but we can't dismiss them out of had. Besides, all I asked was to be fair. To me that is to include his statistics to rate the player.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of the previous season. Its time we move on to other options.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
No Toronto love to single out one or two players as the problem. That is where we got the term whipping boy.

Actually, the term whipping boy predates HFBoards by about, hmmm...4-500 years. Franson, when he was traded here was overrated immensely by us. He could basically do no wrong. Even after the Boston series most overlooked his terrible play because of some timely goals and assists. Last year was the first time he became "disliked", to put it mildly. He is the Lupul of dmen on this team. 2 things on his mind, other than modelling. Offense and contract status.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's worth noting that Carlyle's system made our entire defence core look brutal most nights because our game plan was to basically let the opposition come at us in waves.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
That was by design from our great coaches... The stretch pass and tip in breakout that resulted in more icings than any freaking team. When you have not 1 but 2 PMD and you place shackles on them this is the net result. Further more how many people notice that Kadri was the only center who curled back stick on the ice giving a target for the D to make a crisp pass to him. Bozak is at center ice playing the stretch pass tip in play and you wonder why the teams puck possession game stinks even the top line?

I'm on record here and this will be the last time I'll say this cause it's getting tiring listening how the Leaf players suck when in fact this was the worst coaching job of an effective team game in the history of the Leafs.

I don't know what the reason is for Carlyle surviving from the coaching changes but if Carlyle doesn't change not only the tactics of the TEAM GAME IN HOW THEY PLAY OFFENSE but also greatly alleviates the micromanaged game of running a top line & a 5 man shut down unit strong in a match up game this team is going to be much the same we've seen for 2 years straight . Getting outshot, out played each game rather the opposition is LA or freaking Buffalo regardless of changes to the roster.
I seem to remember Bozak being back more often than not as well and hitting one of our streaking wingers. Problem is, those wingers would start streaking long before we were clear of our zone.

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
Actually, the term whipping boy predates HFBoards by about, hmmm...4-500 years. Franson, when he was traded here was overrated immensely by us. He could basically do no wrong. Even after the Boston series most overlooked his terrible play because of some timely goals and assists. Last year was the first time he became "disliked", to put it mildly. He is the Lupul of dmen on this team. 2 things on his mind, other than modelling. Offense and contract status.

Not we as in humanity we as in Leaf fans. Are you a mind reader? I don't believe you. Also, I never claimed Franson was the best in the league or anything like that only that he should be treated fairly.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I really agree that the Leafs board has a tendency to make a whipping boy out of players, and then only seeing what they want to see. There are a whole bunch of posters who can't accept that Phaneuf can do anything good, and there are a whole bunch of posters who won't accept that Franson does bring some fantastic things as well. The guy made me go nuts last year, but it's obvious that if we do trade him we will lose a lot of physicality and offense from the blueline.

I also agree that the defense was put in a situation where they were bound to fail. If you're not an elite defenseman, you are bound to get in trouble if you play long shifts under siege in your own zone. A better system and more defensively aware forwards, and I think we might view our D-men in a different light. Not sure that will include Franson though, as I find his problems are mostly due to bad decisions in neutral and offensive zone rather than being pressured into mistakes in the defensive zone.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I disagree with this assessment of Nonis. He made one of the best trades of the past decade for Vancouver in acquiring one of the top goalies in the league. In his 1.5 seasons calling the shots here hes already acquired a top rung goaltender for us, without giving up significant assets.

I think TL was behind that move. Either way though, it was a good one

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think TL was behind that move. Either way though, it was a good one

same crap different IRISHMAN // lol....im irish too .....end of day we draft 8th ,maybe trade kadri ,tell everyone carlyle has a short leash ,come out sucking .fire randy ,hire mike babcock next summer //lol

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
How old is Rielly?

;)

You failed to answer my question. You can't give the title of giveaway king to another player that you do not like because you dislike this player, and like another. That is often referred to as homerism on these boards.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm struggling to find anywhere Nonis or any other member of management set any higher expectations for this team for 2013-14. Most of his preseason comments centred around being young and expecting mistakes and being patient.
They bought out a Center that didn't fit to bring in one with a track record of winning. That Center ended up with a freak injury that cost him his season.
They brought in a winger that was expected to add grit and a two way game. It didnt work out so far.
They brought in a young potential star goalie.

None of these moves screamed 'going all in'. In fact, at the deadline they stayed with their youth, mistakes and all, instead of doing what others were doing and trying to bolster for a playoff run. That tells me that they are in fact sticking to their plan. They are developing this team as a team.

I'm not Nonis' biggest fan. In fact, I was and continue to be dumbfounded by the firing of Burke, but Nonis has been nothing but consistent regarding his goals for this team.

Acquiring Clarkson with the kind of contract he has (term, limited mmc, & salary) is not a "patient rebuild" kind of move. The others I would agree with.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Acquiring Clarkson with the kind of contract he has (term, limited mmc, & salary) is not a "patient rebuild" kind of move. The others I would agree with.

No I agree. It was a 'make a splash to say we did something' move, but it was definitely not a 'go all in' move either.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

No I agree. It was a 'make a splash to say we did something' move, but it was definitely not a 'go all in' move either.

If I had to generate a summary, there is a lack of consistency in the moves.

Kessel (former GM of course) was not a "patient rebuild" kind of move either, although I think Burke made moves in his tenure that indicated he was trying to "build" (especially in the later years).

I can see the argument that with Kessel they got a good piece, but its not a classic rebuild kind of move.

Further, we could argue ad-naseum that we would have been better off (or not) with the picks. But that horse has already been beat to death.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad