News Article: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis talks draft, Bolland and trades

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Q: Still thinking of moving up at the draft?

Nonis: Yeah, we would depending on the price. We think, like I think most teams think, that it’s fairly deep in terms of quality, one through 10, 12, 14, so we believe we’re going to get a good player at eight. That said, if we can move up higher and the cost made sense we would do it. We’ve talked to a couple of teams and shared ideas of what would make sense right now. Right now we haven’t found anything that does, but if there’s a deal there that isn’t cost prohibitive we would look to do it, if not we’re happy to pick where we are.

This is just one of the Questions and Answers in the Atricle

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/18/maple-leafs-gm-dave-nonis-talks-draft-bolland-and-trades

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I found this quite interesting too...

Q: Jake Gardiner, any thought of making him a forward, given you have Morgan Rielly back end?

Nonis: He was a forward, he started as a forward. He played more of his formative years as a forward. There’s been some talk of it, but I think he gives us an element at the back end that would be hard to replace. He can skate the puck out, pretty good on the power play. So I think right now, we would keep him back there.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, it's really the fault of expectations. People just got too down on basically the worst team in the NHL after the Olympic break...And for a team that could finish between 4 and 10 in the conference we did a bang up job finishing 12th :laugh:.

But anyways, a pretty generic bit of responses. But never expect much more these days. No one is going to say what they are actually doing until after they've done it.

Basically Nonis being Nonis. Not surprised he isn't saying much.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Still thinking of moving up at the draft?

Nonis: Yeah, we would depending on the price. We think, like I think most teams think, that it’s fairly deep in terms of quality, one through 10, 12, 14, so we believe we’re going to get a good player at eight. That said, if we can move up higher and the cost made sense we would do it. We’ve talked to a couple of teams and shared ideas of what would make sense right now. Right now we haven’t found anything that does, but if there’s a deal there that isn’t cost prohibitive we would look to do it, if not we’re happy to pick where we are

What is this Leafs team? The team that took Boston to seven games in 2013 or the team that missed the playoffs this year?

Nonis: I think we collectively, fans, people with the team, you are too negative when things don’t go well and too positive when things do go well. I think our team is right in the mix with a number of other teams that could finish anywhere from four to 10. And that’s what we even said going into the year. We believed we had the makings of a playoff team but so did six other teams that were fighting for the same spot. We’re still a team trying to grow that needs to get deeper, we still need to get more experience. Our Marlies team is looking like they’re starting to give us some options with some players. All those things have to continue, we’re not anywhere near where we need to be. We’re happy with some of the strides we’ve taken, we’re moving in the right direction. But we have a lot of work to do.

Good on both.

It looks like with Shanahan there as well it's going to a much steadier process now.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Yeah, it's really the fault of expectations. People just got too down on basically the worst team in the NHL after the Olympic break...And for a team that could finish between 4 and 10 in the conference we did a bang up job finishing 12th :laugh:.

But anyways, a pretty generic bit of responses. But never expect much more these days. No one is going to say what they are actually doing until after they've done it.

Basically Nonis being Nonis. Not surprised he isn't saying much.

This is the point, when a reporter stops him and asks questions about what he will be doing to change the team, he will just give generic responses.

I'm sure though, that he and all the management, owners, coaches, players and fans, want a better outcome this coming year, than the one we just experienced and would like to improve but he can hardly come out and say much because the players are under contract and I'm sure he won't spill the beans, about players they like in the draft.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Do people really expect detailed step by step plans of what they intend on doing? We will all know soon enough the direction they are taking.

The draft is next week... patience.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
We will all know soon enough the direction they are taking.

i can't wait to see what direction Nonis wants to take, Nonis the GM that signed a guy to a long term deal with open disdain for the years at the end, re-signed Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf, retroactively declared the Leafs a bubble playoff team, announced that they could be successful under his coach, advertised that the same team had no untouchables.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Do people really expect detailed step by step plans of what they intend on doing? We will all know soon enough the direction they are taking.

The draft is next week... patience.

i know - it's like everyone is expecting the management group to do a Shanahan video and break down who they plan to trade, to what team, detailing why this would work, and how when it is all said and done, boom. good team.

of course it's generic answers. holy moses.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You guys know every GM in the league gives generic answers right?

Only one who didn't was Burke, and all of you hated him too, so

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm somewhat amazed we made a topic out of a generic interview.

The only thing to talk about is that there is nothing to talk about.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I think one fault with Nonis is how safe he can be.

Sometimes thats a great thing, like not giving up a prospect, but other times it's worth it to take a risk and shakeup the team. But I'm afraid he might end up playing it safe and only making very small trades(i.e Franson and Reimer for picks)

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Yeah... Damn you, Nonis, for not revealing your hand weeks before the draft and free agency. You should tell us everything so you could screw yourself and the team over in the process because fans need to be appeased. :sarcasm:

The man wasn't going to give anything, and he shouldn't; actions speak louder the words, talk at the podium when you get things done.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'd just like to know what direction this team is going in. What kind of identity do they want to have. No idea........

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
The ****-eating grin on Phaneuf's face says he knows he's not going anywhere.

Narcissists are generally skilled at sussing out whose arses need kissing to allow them to get what they want.

I imagine Domi and Phaneuf are great pals already...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad