The Star: Maple Leafs face Canadiens, Bruins, Red Wings in new Atlantic Division

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
2011-12 Season

Erik Karlsson - 81 games 19 goals 59 assists 78 points 42 Pims +16 & Norris Trophy

Dion Phaneuf - 82 games 12 goals 32 assists 44 points 92 pims & -10

Karlsson - Hits - 60, bks - 65
Dion - Hits - 214, bks - 127

So? :laugh:

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Why would Karlsson be hitting anyone or blocking shots when he always has the puck on his stick? Meanwhile Phaneuf just follows pucks with his conservative play in the defensive end or gives them away.

Why would Karlsson stay on PP for full 2 minutes all the time? To pad his offensive stats?

PS. Besides no one can have puck on his stick all the time. You are building your argument off false pretense that is obvious for anyone. Karlsson has more giveaways than Dion too. So?

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why would Karlsson stay on PP for full 2 minutes all the time? To pad his offensive stats?

Is your criticism of Karlsson, similar for Kessel who also doesn't hit anyone and pads his stats via the PP also?.

Karlsson in 2011-12 put up 78 points as a Dman compared to Kessel's 82 points as a forward.

If another teams Dman is scoring at the same pace as Leafs top forward then that is a huge advantage to the team with the Dman on it. I guess that is why he was rewarded the Norris as the league best dman that season.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
If another teams Dman is scoring at the same pace as Leafs top forward then that is a huge advantage to the team with the Dman on it. I guess that is why he was rewarded the Norris as the league best dman that season.

Yes, I get it, Karlsson got _one_ great season two years ago. It does not spell "top-5 D in the league" to me yet. Let's see if he can duplicate that performance this and next year before we start to give him advantage. And he will absolutely need to bring that offense of his, because he is not as good as Dion in other aspects of the D game. If they both around 50 points this year then Dion is clearly better overall.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
The problem Detroit is going to face is essentially playing against more physical teams with better goaltending more often. Sure Chicago is pretty physical but the endurance the Red Wings will need to compete in this new Atlantic Division as well as running into Rask, Price, Miller, Markstrom, Reimer/Bernier will definitely cause more losses than wins imho. The west plays a "fancier" game. The east plays a more physical game. Instead of having to face the lowly wild, oilers, flames, even canucks, yotes 4 times a year say hello to the flyers, rangers, isles, devils, pens, etc

I believe this will wear down the old-man Red Wings...and surprised it has not been taken into consideration. The Wings as they are now are set up like a western conference hockey team, not an eastern conference hockey team. That's how teams like the Red Wings and Canucks get away with being so old.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes, I get it, Karlsson got _one_ great season two years ago. It does not spell "top-5 D in the league" to me yet. Let's see if he can duplicate that performance this and next year before we start to give him advantage. And he will absolutely need to bring that offense of his, because he is not as good as Dion in other aspects of the D game. If they both around 50 points this year then Dion is clearly better overall.

Karlsson great season came at age 21.

Karlsson just turned 23 a few months back, so he is still developing, and can't have a long track record because he so young.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
The west plays a "fancier" game. The east plays a more physical game. Instead of having to face the lowly wild, oilers, flames, even canucks, yotes 4 times a year say hello to the flyers, rangers, isles, devils, pens, etc

West has STL, LA, ANA and SJ too. And in the East it's only Boston that plays anywhere close to West physicality. Main challenge for Detroit will be not wear and tear, but configuration of our division where 5 teams made playoffs last year. And it very well could be the same this year with 2 teams from Atlantic taking two WC spots.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Is your criticism of Karlsson, similar for Kessel who also doesn't hit anyone and pads his stats via the PP also?.

Karlsson in 2011-12 put up 78 points as a Dman compared to Kessel's 82 points as a forward.

Yep, because the Norris is usually awarded to the Dman with the most points. Otherwise, there is no way Erik Karlsson would be considered the best defenceman in the league. Supremely talented, but not much of a defender.

BauerHOCKEY

Jun 21, 2011
Whitby, ON
Nik Lidstrom won 7 Norris Trophies all while being one of the least physical defenders in the league at that time. My point being hits and blocks do not equal a good defender, just as goals and assists do not equal a good defender.

Mr Scarface*

Maple Leafs will pummel those other teams like there's no tomorrow. Our team is way stronger and harder than so many other soft teams in this division. It's really an amusing thing when thinking about it. We all get to see those Montreal and Ottawa games where Senators and others are actually crying after and during playing against us. Can't wait.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
West has STL, LA, ANA and SJ too. And in the East it's only Boston that plays anywhere close to West physicality. Main challenge for Detroit will be not wear and tear, but configuration of our division where 5 teams made playoffs last year. And it very well could be the same this year with 2 teams from Atlantic taking two WC spots.

I live in Vancouver and watch the west quite a bit... If you honestly believe LA, STL, ANA and SJ are more physical than the east than you are solely basing this off the playoffs. West teams get creamed when they go up against the east too in the playoffs unless they have unbelievable skill i.e. chicago and la out skilled their opponents. LOL @ STL ...that was a good one man.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I live in Vancouver and watch the west quite a bit... If you honestly believe LA, STL, ANA and SJ are more physical than the east than you are solely basing this off the playoffs. West teams get creamed when they go up against the east too in the playoffs unless they have unbelievable skill i.e. chicago and la out skilled their opponents. LOL @ STL ...that was a good one man.

IDK, man. I naturally watch more East games, but I'm good for at least 40-60 regular season games from the West. I would add to LA, STL, ANA and SJ list. CAL, PHY, MIN, CLB, NAS were bad teams, but pretty physical teams too. My impression anyway, but who knows if games shown were between rivals and players elevated their games for HNIC or other stations special nights.
East has very few teams that play physical style: BOS, TOR, PHI (but much less now), NJ & NYR (mainly when these two meet each other). This is about it. All other reams are incredibly soft in the East with MTL being the softest team in entire universe. And East lost Peg and got Wings, talk about being ready to fly, lol.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Nik Lidstrom won 7 Norris Trophies all while being one of the least physical defenders in the league at that time. My point being hits and blocks do not equal a good defender, just as goals and assists do not equal a good defender.
Karlsson isn't a great defender, though. His minutes are lot softer. On the other hand, Lidstrom was carrying Paul Coffey, defensively. It's offensive to compare Karlsson to Lidstrom. He's not going to develop into an all-round defenceman. Nothing wrong with that, because Paul Coffey, who like Karl is an offensive defenceman, is what every team wants.

Edited "good" for "great". Regardless, nothing special in that regard.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
The addition of Parros and Murray, changes this, would you not agree?
:naughty:

Actually, it's not very easy finding tougher guys than these two? Some people may complain that Murray is slow but he is one of the toughest and strongest guys out there, valuable in PK, perhaps one of the 10 toughest open ice hitters all time and rarely looses a fight (perhaps two clearly lost fights in his entire career, Boulton and Stortini?).

Montreal used to be soft but not any longer. It's also a fun fact that these two guys are good friends.

Last edited:

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
:naughty:

Actually, it's not very easy finding tougher guys than these too? Some people may complain that Murray is slow but he is one of the toughest and strongest guys out there, valuable in PK, perhaps one of the 10 toughest open ice hitters all time and rarely looses a fight (perhaps two clearly lost fights in his entire career, Boulton and Stortini?).

Montreal used to be soft but not any longer. It's also a fun fact that these two guys are good friends.

No doubt Montreal is tougher this year, but so are we. I can see the Leafs finishing ahead of Montreal this year. I think we will be competing with Boston with the Wings a wildcard in the division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad