The Star: Maple Leafs face Canadiens, Bruins, Red Wings in new Atlantic Division

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
The article is saying that we will finish 4th.

Maple Leafs face Canadiens, Bruins, Red Wings in new Atlantic Division

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ruins_red_wings_in_new_atlantic_division.html

Regardless, the Maple Leafs — like all teams — will face a slightly different path to the post-season this year:
The top three teams in each division will clinch spots conference-based playoffs.
The two wild card spots per conference will go to the next two teams in the conference with the most points. It is possible then for three teams from one division and five from another to make the first round of the playoffs.
The two conferences will produce a champion each, setting up an East vs. West Stanley Cup final.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Projected finish: Fourth

Key additions: G Jonathan Bernier, C Dave Bolland, F David Clarkson, D Paul Ranger

Key subtractions: C Mikhail Grabovski, F Clarke MacArthur, G Ben Scrivens, F Matt Frattin

Relationship issues: A polarizing team that is both beloved and detested . . . Sometimes crumbles under the weight of its history. Forty-six years without a Stanley Cup will do that to a franchise. . . . New MLSE boss Tim Leiweke — when he starts talking about planning parades — sounds as if he wants the team to play with a swagger that befits its status as the richest team in the NHL and one of the iconic teams recognized worldwide. Leaf Nation will eat this up.

The Skinny: The addition of Jonathan Bernier in net might be the key move made in the off-season, bolstering the most important position in the game. Adding Dave Bolland and David Clarkson gives coach Randy Carlyle the kind of players he covets in roles that better befit them than the players who were let go, namely Clarke MacArthur and Mikhail Grabovski.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
most people are so high on the wings, don't really see why

Actually that's what I was thinking too, I believe we should be able to win more games, than they do and I think we have strengthened some holes, that may push us even higher in this division.

EDDIE20*

I'm not too worried about Detroit. Toronto has put up a good fight against them these past few years. I don't see them as being the powerhouse they once were.

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
We took Boston to game 7 OT, we beat Montreal 3 times of 5 last year, and have played well vs the Wings the last few times. Plus, we did not have Lupul and Gardiner (plus our new additions) for most of the season last year. There is no reason as to why we cannot contend for number 1 in our division.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
We finally have a team with a real identity, a great coach, and the hunger for redemption after how last season ended.

This is going to be our best season in years

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I think any of Detroit, Boston, Ottawa or Toronto have a chance at winning the division. I don't think Montreal has what it takes to repeat their strong showing from last season.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I think we will finish third behind Boston and Ottawa.

LeafsFIO*

Tampa Bay Lightning
Projected finish: Sixth
Last year vs. Leafs: 1-2-0
Key Additions: F Valtteri Filppula, F Jonathan Drouin, F Geoff Walker

Who the **** is Geoff Walker?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think any of Detroit, Boston, Ottawa or Toronto have a chance at winning the division. I don't think Montreal has what it takes to repeat their strong showing from last season.

You must really like Nonis' offseason body of work bringing in key additions to expect a battle for 1st in the division. Unless its the semantics of the word "chance" here, which of course applies equally to all 30 teams each season.

While I believe Nonis has improved the team, I'm with the Star on this one that it will be a battle for a wild card spot the more likelihood of occurring.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think anyone other than florida and buffalo can win our division, and anyone can miss the playoffs.

boston would be the favorite to win, but beyond that its just a guess.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
I'm mixed on Detroit. In the west they looked like an aging team that was struggling to keep up during the season. But you can tell they were able to step up in bursts when needed.

I wonder if the reduced travel in our new conference will be refreshing for them. And to play new time should be exciting and better rivalries for them as well.

Although there's some big tough teams in this conf so it might even out. It'll be interesting to see how the Leafs do against a veteran puck possession team.

Kyle Doobas*

IMO any one of those teams, save for Montreal/Florida/Buffalo, could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th. Parity has its upsides but it's slowly turning the regular season into more and more of a crapshoot, whether you're a fan of that or not. Personally I can see why some people might see that as being more fun, but for me it starts to feel less like a competitive sport and more like a game of Yahtzee.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Because they are the wings and for 20+ years there there has been no reason not to be high on them.

But they're also not the team they were, even three years ago. Last year, they lost three of their top 4 D-men in one off-season, and it appears they've finished that up this year. They have Kronwall and Quincey as their only truly proven D-men, and the rest are maybes. Plus the offensive core isn't getting any younger.

Last year was the first time in a long time Detroit actually relied on their goalie stealing games to make it in. Like New Jersey, I think, as great as they've been for years, time is finally catching up to them.

Of course, they could pull another Datsyuk...

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Toronto Star:

Boston Bruins
Detroit Red Wings
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Montreal Canadiens
Tampa Bay Lightning
Buffalo Sabres
Florida Panthers

My Guess:

Boston Bruins
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Montreal Canadiens
Detroit Red Wings
Tampa Bay Lightning
Buffalo Sabres
Florida Panthers

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Man, I really don't like the new format. The NHL really ****ed up a good thing. It was much more straight forward. Top 8 in each conference get in, end of story. Why make it more complicated? Beyond me.

Kyle Doobas*

Man, I really don't like the new format. The NHL really ****ed up a good thing. It was a lot more straight forward. It was much more straight forward. Top 8 in each conference get in. Why make it more complicated? Beyond me.
Leave it to the NHL to create uneven divisions from an even number of teams. :P

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
NYR
Washington
Colombus
NJ
NYI
Carolina

So we could be fighting for the last 2 playoff spots with any of those 2 teams in bold if we finish no higher than 4th

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Man, I really don't like the new format. The NHL really ****ed up a good thing. It was much more straight forward. Top 8 in each conference get in, end of story. Why make it more complicated? Beyond me.

except it wasn't top eight.

it was top in each of three divisions, and top five of remaining teams

now its top three in two divisions, plus next two of the rest.

no more or less complicated than before.

but hey, why let facts get in the way of a narrative?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It wasn't top 8 in each conference.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This new alignment actually lets more deserving teams into the playoffs.

Previously it allowed for teams in weaker Divisions to make the playoffs, while teams with more points in a conference missed the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: