The Star: Maple Leafs defence better with Mike Kostka

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leafs fans who say he's been terrible cant get over that he was started on the top pairing and power play unit. He's not even close to this kind of player, and this is all many Leafs fans focus on. If he started on the bottom pairing playing 15 sheltered minutes a night, he would have a solid reputation. That being said, he's played much better defensively since being moved to the bottom pairing, against lesser competition. This how he should be used for the remainder of the season.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
No. He's not some defensive wizard. He's an alright d-man who's had the luxury of playing - nice story though.

He's not THE reason we're better defensively lol.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
The same people who hate on Phaneuf hate on Kostka. People make out Phaneuf to be a a #3/4 dman are the same who say Kostka is an AHLer.

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
Kostka is an average defenceman who would most likely be bottom pairing in other teams. He is not terrible but not outstanding either

Sproo

Jul 3, 2008
Vancouver
How can you not love the value this guy brings. He's not exactly the best option for a top pairing or top PP units, but he's played a solid 2-way game for us and has definitely earned his spot in the lineup and we're a better team because of it.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Like most of what I've seen so far but still has to make a few adjustments, as do all players. Like not throwing the puck up the middle from behind the net.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Meh, I really don't want to get down on the guy - I am rooting for him. I just notice him and Franson seem prone to these boneheaded giveaways in our own end.... Franson's countered that with very good offensive numbers and the fact that he doesn't play against the best of the competition.

I hope we see Kostka develop into a Paul Ranger-type player.

Who cares if he develops into a Paul Ranger type. We have the real Paul Ranger.
Kostka will be a valuable trade chip IMO. Young and affordable and can eat up minutes.
With Paul Ranger, Gardiner, O'Rielly, Liles, Komi all off the big leauge starting 6 a trade needs to be made.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
he's the kind of player who can be useful because he can eat up 20 minutes on a 2nd pairing, but you wouldn't miss him if he wasnt in there
nothing flashy
much like gunnarsson
and because neither has a big contract they are to be the chosen ones
i wouldnt be suprised if gardiner stays with the marlies all season either

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Will trading Kostka come back to bite us?

I'm not sure he isn't a good 2nd or 3rd pairing D.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
That's kinda funny.

Carlyle (on what a 3rd pairing Dman should do): If you don't notice him, he's doing his job.

hf boards: If he's not getting a PPG he's garbage!

Too bad he hasn't been on the 3rd pair for most of the season. Also he's put up remarkably mediocre numbers. Some of us have noticed the 6 assists, 0 goals and -7 in 19 games averaging 23+ minutes. Nothing to write home about for a guy who isn't physical and doesn't have any outstanding talents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad