The Star: Maple Leafs defence better with Mike Kostka

ForSpareParts*

"Maple Leafs defence better with Mike Kostka": Feschuk

Leafs coach Randy Carlyle says the beauty of Kostka’s early-season work is that it’s largely gone unnoticed.

“When you have young players like that, the less you notice them, usually the more efficient their game is,†Carlyle said Friday. “When you don’t notice him, it’s because he isn’t making any glaring mistakes. He’s making the safe play. He’s moving the puck effectively. All those things are allowing him to maintain his position in our lineup.â€

I love this new Leaf (Marlies Graduate).

:)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Am I the only one who isn't all that impressed with Kostka? he looks pretty "meh"

Nope, I'm with you.

He's not the quickest skater, has a weak shot, holds the puck too long, doesn't see the ice very well and gives the puck away a ton. Kostka has good positioning in the defensive end, but he's not that good. I'm much more impressed with Holzer and Fraser, personally.

SteveV*

I predict he's in the press box by end of season. Just keep him off the PP is all I ask for now.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Am I the only one who isn't all that impressed with Kostka? he looks pretty "meh"

Remember Schenn? You noticed his hits, but how many times did you also noticed when he got beat like a pylon, or screen his goalie, or deflect a shot into his own net trying to block it. Kostka has been steady, and Carlyle is using him very wisely (ie. he's on the second PP unit now, not the 1st when many of us here were screaming when he was on the 1st PP unit).

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
He cuts back with the puck too much when there is a simple pass to his partner behind our own net. It often causes turnovers and pins the Leafs in their zone.

If he could improve his decision making in those situations, I would hardly notice him at all, which would be great.

Penalty Kill Icing*

He hasn't won me over or anything.

I'd accept him more if he is not on PP. Instead of attacking, he is busy trying to keep the puck in offensive zone on PP. What sucks even more is that he fakes a slapshot!! As if he has a lethal bomb that opposition would actually bite on.

Both him and PP coach at fault.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He's played fine but at 27 i'd hardly cosider him a young player , inexpierienced yes but young he isn't .

Penalty Kill Icing*

Also, rather than going through side, many a times he will pass from behind the net right through middle of the ice and puck goes through our own crease when he does so.

Not sure if it's a wise thing to do. One of these days, that'll just bump our goalie and go in our own net.

SteveV*

He cuts back with the puck too much when there is a simple pass to his partner behind our own net. It often causes turnovers and pins the Leafs in their zone.

He totally over thinks things back there at times, turning checkers into needless chess.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

If he could improve his decision making in those situations, I would hardly notice him at all, which would be great.

I think he's still learning the speed of the NHL game.

Razor

Say no to Luongo.
Jun 18, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
His biggest asset is being a right handed shot. He's also been really steady but with Gardiner and Rielly on the rise I don't see a spot in the top 6 for him moving forward past this season. Great 7th guy if he accepts somewhat of a hometown deal.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I'd say he's done amazingly considering this is his first nhl stint. His decision making and ability to read the play are my only concerns. Other than that he seems like a decent number 4 or 5 dman

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
He is 2nd on this team in TOI/game for D men, so I highly doubt that.

Meh, I really don't want to get down on the guy - I am rooting for him. I just notice him and Franson seem prone to these boneheaded giveaways in our own end.... Franson's countered that with very good offensive numbers and the fact that he doesn't play against the best of the competition.

I hope we see Kostka develop into a Paul Ranger-type player.

ForSpareParts*

His biggest asset is being a right handed shot. He's also been really steady but with Gardiner and Rielly on the rise I don't see a spot in the top 6 for him moving forward past this season. Great 7th guy if he accepts somewhat of a hometown deal.

I think Gardiner is damaged/set back from his concussion. I also don't think he's conditioned yet to play a long NHL season (or even a 48 game one). he was below average to terrible in the AHL playoffs last season. he was especially bad in the Cup final. I don't think we see Gardiner until next season.

As for Reilly I think he's still 2-3 years away from playing full-time in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad