The Star: Maple Leafs defence better with Mike Kostka

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
My big thing is when he is on the PP but finally they are using Franson there so I am less angry. He is alright for the cap hit.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I think Gardiner is damaged/set back from his concussion. I also don't think he's conditioned yet to play a long NHL season (or even a 48 game one). he was below average to terrible in the AHL playoffs last season. he was especially bad in the Cup final. I don't think we see Gardiner until next season.

As for Reilly I think he's still 2-3 years away from playing full-time in the NHL.

Guess its a good time to mention he's been logging huge minutes for the Marlies since returning from his concussion and has been regarded as being a step above everyone, even 'dominant' at times. If he plays 3 more games for the Leafs he will need to be waived to be sent down again.

So no, likely he's just fine in his concussion recovery. If he doesn't get the call it's because he'd be playing limited minutes up here whereas he'll play huge minutes in the Marlies this season. Make sense?

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
He's been decent. Despite all the whipping he gets around these parts, when you consider that he's a 27 year old who never played an NHL game before this year and is getting paid 600K, what he's done for us has been impressive.

He's very calm and doesn't panic in his game at all and he's been reliable defensively with his positioning and active stick.

Obviously, Carlyle's system makes him look good as well, but he's been a serviceable d-man and has not hindered this team at all. Can't complain really, just take the guy off the PP and we're good to go.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I think Gardiner is damaged/set back from his concussion. I also don't think he's conditioned yet to play a long NHL season (or even a 48 game one). he was below average to terrible in the AHL playoffs last season. he was especially bad in the Cup final. I don't think we see Gardiner until next season.

As for Reilly I think he's still 2-3 years away from playing full-time in the NHL.

This is all just baseless speculation.

I'd be willing to bet that if Morgan Rielly doesn't make the squad in 14/15, he's all but guaranteed a spot for the 15/16 team. The kid possesses elite talent and very high hockey IQ. He has little-to-nothing to gain from playing in the WHL again next season and after 10-15 games with the Marlies at the tail-end of this season we should have a better idea of his immediate future with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

You say Jake Gardiner doesn't have the conditioning to play in the NHL -- even in a 48 game one. Perhaps that's because he went from a 41 game schedule in the NCAA in 10/11 and 10GP in limited minutes with the Toronto Marlies to playing #3 minutes in 75GP on the Toronto Maple Leafs + #1 minutes over 21GP on the Toronto Marlies in 11/12.

41GP NCAA + 10GP Marlies (51GP) vs 75GP Leafs + 21GP Marlies (96GP)

That is a very considerable hike in games played with considerably more minutes per game against considerably tougher competition.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If your not going to clear the crease, then you better be able to make the occasional offensive play out of nothing IMO. Both kostka and gunnarsson aren't about to clear the crease or lay down consistent punishment, nor are they particularly good offensively. We need offensive players on our D. Phaneuf has a big shot, but that's about it, Both Fraser and holzer have looked good as stay at home defenders and play the body routinely. They aren't expected to produce offensively...

We need some offense. Our puck control/movement on the backend has been pretty poor, IMO it's what separated us from Ottawa yesterday.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If your not going to clear the crease, then you better be able to make the occasional offensive play out of nothing IMO. Both kostka and gunnarsson aren't about to clear the crease or lay down consistent punishment, nor are they particularly good offensively. We need offensive players on our D. Phaneuf has a big shot, but that's about it, Both Fraser and holzer have looked good as stay at home defenders and play the body routinely. They aren't expected to produce offensively...

We need some offense. Our puck control/movement on the backend has been pretty poor, IMO it's what separated us from Ottawa yesterday.

What separated us from Ottawa yesterday was the fact that Kessel and JVR contributed nothing offensively. They needed to step up and carry this team to victory and they failed miserably.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I see Franson as our worst d-man that's playing, he's reasonable offensively but in the defensive zone he seems to make Komo like decisions with the puck. Kostka is more of an angle type of d-man and tries to tie the opposition up rather than go for the big hit or crosscheck. Kostka is very a good positional type of d-man but he's not exceptional in any way, that also means he's not exceptionally bad like Komo.

I think Kostka is a good fill type of d-man but not a backbone type and it's an indication of the quality of Leaf defenders that he's seeing so much ice time.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Am I the only one who isn't all that impressed with Kostka? he looks pretty "meh"
You can literally see his mind working in overdrive trying to figure out what his next move is. Slow decision making, but makes mostly smart decisions (in the defensive zone especially) and is playing solid. Not much offensive upside (that's the area where watching him is painful), but he's solid and makes responsible decisions in the defensive zone. Good depth guy/bottom pairing guy. I was also impressed with how he handled himself being used far too much at the start of the season (although he did have a jump on a lot of guys considering he was playing all year), he was out of his depth but played solid for the most part. I like him, exceeded my expectations for sure.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not a fan of the guy.

Great story, but was so Lombardi scoring in his first game here.

Personally wouldn't have him in the lineup ahead of Liles or Gardiner. He's not terrible, and can be quietly efficient. But when he gets into that head on a swivel thing, it always ends with a quality scoring chance against.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Kostka has turned into the most underrated Leaf on this forum. Thank god the coach and GM don't suffer from stigmatizations like people do around here.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Yet another mistake by Burke in not bringing in a capable shutdown defender to pair with Phaneuf. Komisarek was a big mistake and so was extending liles. Trading Schenn for JVR was great but there was no one to step into that role (except for Holzer and Kostka).

Lots of marginal talent on the leaf defence but little in the way of quality shutdown defence.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Not a fan of the guy.

Great story, but was so Lombardi scoring in his first game here.

Personally wouldn't have him in the lineup ahead of Liles or Gardiner. He's not terrible, and can be quietly efficient. But when he gets into that head on a swivel thing, it always ends with a quality scoring chance against.

Not sure what you're talking about here but Kostka's head on a swivel I thought was one of his greatest qualities. All of TO's d-men last year puck watched and Kostka realizing that the puck is being properly defended will actually survey the ice for weaknesses in the defense and attempt to plug it.

Schenn never did, if Schenn didn't see someone between himself and the puck he would just assume all is well, this is supposing there ever was anything going on in his head. I often thought that TO's defense last year should be charged for admission because they like fans seemed to be at the game to puck watch.

Neas Olc

Registered Abuser
Mar 22, 2011
Toronto
Calm down.

Mikey isn't a #1/2 guy, clearly, but he's a decent 5/6 defenceman, and for a career AHL player, that's a bonus.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
That's kinda funny.

Carlyle (on what a 3rd pairing Dman should do): If you don't notice him, he's doing his job.

hf boards: If he's not getting a PPG he's garbage!

silentprotector

Oct 30, 2011
played with gardiner in the AHL, so they should have instant chemistry when gardiner is back up. Allows us to trade gunnarson in a package for a decent player back and liles for what ever. with rielly in the line up next year kostka, fraser and holzer can be 5,6,7, and we still have komisarek to buy out

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Or just maybe they watch him play and aren't impressed.

Nah, Gunnarsson has been a black hole this year, much worse than Kostka.

But even then, the defense hasn't been that bad. 1 game doesnt change that. Some people need to assign the blame for an entire game on a single player.

SteveV*

Nah, if you were watching you'd notice Gunnarsson has been a black hole this year, much worse than Kostka.

But even then, the defense hasn't been that bad. 1 game doesnt change that. Some people need to assign the blame for an entire game on a single player.
Last night has no bearing on my opinion of Kostka, I think he's a marginal NHL talent that can fill in when injuries, good depth guy. His decision making is painfully slow, he has a tendency to pass the puck right in front of net, he can't skate, he can't run an NHL power play and he can't clear the net AT ALL. Gunner has struggled but the guy was INJURED, and he's also PROVEN himself in this league as reliable, steady and solid. Kostka is a scratch by end of season is my prediction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad