GDT: Maple Leafs @ Capitals | 7 PM - SN | This.... May not end well

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Would be nice. But I don't see it happening. But we have Hunter, Dubas and the scouts to get the maximum from the Pittsburgh pick, so I feel good about that.

Oh for sure. For the first time in 40+ years of following the leafs I finally trust in our Management team and our Scouting Dept to make the right calls and find us some more diamonds in the rough. The Pens making the playoffs and then loosing in the first round would help make it easier to move up.

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
While they might be 30th right now they have not clinched last place overall. However if it happens where Toronto finishes 30th overall, ends up with the 4th overall pick and the Oilers get the 1st pick, I think it would be a combination of people pissed that they get the 1st pick 5 out of 7 years. Plus those who hate the Leafs will be happy they don't get Auston Matthews, Puljujarvi or Laine.
Chances are totally against us getting #1 overall, but even at #4-6 I'm still loving the idea of adding a Nylander/Chychrun/Tkachuk/etc.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 3-2 loss against Washington on Wednesday night.

Nikita Soshnikov speaks with the media following Toronto's 3-2 loss against Washington on Wednesday night.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I'm so excited but also nervous for the young kids. According to the ELC, they can only play what, 7 more games this season if they don't want to burn a year off their 3 year ELC?

We have 20 games left. They won't be playing 13 of those, and those are games I most definitely will NOT BE WATCHING

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm so excited but also nervous for the young kids. According to the ELC, they can only play what, 7 more games this season if they don't want to burn a year off their 3 year ELC?

We have 20 games left. They won't be playing 13 of those, and those are games I most definitely will NOT BE WATCHING

I think Ny and Kap will be going back down when Bozak and Michalek are back. Sosh Hy and Carrick are staying for sure.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

LouLam essentially said they could give a damn if they burn a year off their ELC or not. I don't particularly mind although back in September I was all for keeping Nylander and company in the minors. But I've since figured that it's better to have a couple of guys come off their ELC's earlier than others so we don't have a crisis like needing to re-sign Nylander, Marner, whoever in three years.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
LouLam essentially said they could give a damn if they burn a year off their ELC or not. I don't particularly mind although back in September I was all for keeping Nylander and company in the minors. But I've since figured that it's better to have a couple of guys come off their ELC's earlier than others so we don't have a crisis like needing to re-sign Nylander, Marner, whoever in three years.

Nylander and Kap as talented as they are do play like kids. It's not a knock but Babcock won't let them get away with it. They rush a lot of plays as though playing scared. Hymnal and Carrick and Sosh are in the game.

ELC may not matter in this case because Babcock is just telling it like it is.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Nylander and Kap as talented as they are do play like kids. It's not a knock but Babcock won't let them get away with it. They rush a lot of plays as though playing scared. Hymnal and Carrick and Sosh are in the game.

Excellent point. Hyman is not nearly as talented as eiter bill or KK but he plays a nhl game. This is whats wrong with the oilers, they play like kids. McD plays more of a mans game than any of their other 1st overalls.
If willie doesn't wke up to this, he might be with the marlies next year.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Yeah that's a good point. I caught about half of the game in parts tonight, and Soshnikov and Hyman partially were the only two out of the rookie four to be as good as they were on Monday.

If Babcock figures it's best to send some of these guys back down after nine games then more power to him. Not many are going to argue that decision.

Either way I'm content with any path the Leafs choose with these guys regarding their ELC's and the number of games they'll play this year.

Last edited:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
In the call up Hyman has shined for me quite a bit with his cycle work, which is quite impressive to do in the big leagues and Soshy was a man on a mission today

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
This team has become pretty lax defensively since the new year or around that time. Tonight, I counted 4 High Quality Chances just from the highlights. Bernier was sharp, not sharp enough to win the game, but still not what his save percentage for the game would suggest.

Babcock was right in mentioning to the young guns that they will need to compete regardless of their skill level--Nylander's slow backchecking was covered by Bernier in the first.

Upon looking at the Marincin turnover... it looks like one of those unlucky bounces. The puck just died after hitting the boards when it usually flies up. Maybe he should have been a bit deeper before shooting it.

KK has looked fantastic and is dynamic enough to mesh well with fast and slow players. I'd love to see him alongside Bozak.

Also, Hyman should be getting praise--I'm not sure how we determined that he's a 4th liner. He consistently generates opportunities.

Our PP was 0/4, maintaining the 14.4% clip. Good for dead last.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
First game I was impressed by all of them, mostly kapanen. This one was soshnikov's. Nylander has been consistent.. His floating style seems a bit timid in the nhl right now. But he still has been getting into good scoring chances. Carricks been consistent. I like him. He's skilled and feisty. Kapanen fell off hard this game. I didn't notice hyman out there as much either tbh. But his first game was great.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
First Kasperi impresses now Sosh.

Sosh with his work ethic and play will be a nice piece to the team next year. Something like Palat would be great. Can't have too many of these players and he can really snipe. What a great pick up this is looking to be you can see why teams coveted him.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Sounds like babs didnt think bill and kap competed hard enough tonight. Just what I took away from his post game interview there.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
This team has become pretty lax defensively since the new year or around that time. Tonight, I counted 4 High Quality Chances just from the highlights. Bernier was sharp, not sharp enough to win the game, but still not what his save percentage for the game would suggest.

Babcock was right in mentioning to the young guns that they will need to compete regardless of their skill level--Nylander's slow backchecking was covered by Bernier in the first.

Upon looking at the Marincin turnover... it looks like one of those unlucky bounces. The puck just died after hitting the boards when it usually flies up. Maybe he should have been a bit deeper before shooting it.

KK has looked fantastic and is dynamic enough to mesh well with fast and slow players. I'd love to see him alongside Bozak.

Also, Hyman should be getting praise--I'm not sure how we determined that he's a 4th liner. He consistently generates opportunities.

Our PP was 0/4, maintaining the 14.4% clip. Good for dead last.

:handclap: Great analysis. TSN should hire you. Seriously. I don't even know where to begin analyzing to that degree, but I recognize talent when I see it. You cookie are talented at analysis.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Sounds like babs didnt think bill and kap competed hard enough tonight. Just what I took away from his post game interview there.

Yeah. He name name... well, without saying it. Ny and Kap need to play at a higher pace; especially Ny. This is the thing that I've always had a problem with in his game. Sometimes he's playing at high pace and other times he's floating. Personally, I think it's conditioning and playing habits. There are skilled guys that are relentless and there are skilled guys who can just get by on their skill. Ny in practically every AHL game he's played has been the most talented player on the ice and there was enough space to not always play at a much higher pace. In the NHL; you have to play at a higher pace every shift, no matter the skill; that's a bit of timing and a bit of hustle.

People can't forget he's 19 years old; and although he's had a great AHL season, there are still things he needs to work on to play to potential at the next level. He's going to have a transitional period, hopefully people don't forget that.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
you can see that Nylander does things That no one on our team can do.

He creates prime scoring chances, he gave gifts to both Rielly and Gardiner and on both occasions didn't finish. He knows who is open, I can already see that he needs more ice time with kadri. They need to see what he can do with Komarov - Kadri - Nylander. I guarantee everyone will start scoring on that line with Nylander there although sosh is also a good fit.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

its showing them what its gonna take to be pros.....hyman is mid 20 ;s soshinkov played pro and has carrick ,nylander needed this to see how ovie and backstrom and oshie play ,your 1st rounders have to produce

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
you can see that Nylander does things That no one on our team can do.

He creates prime scoring chances, he gave gifts to both Rielly and Gardiner and on both occasions didn't finish. He knows who is open, I can already see that he needs more ice time with kadri. They need to see what he can do with Komarov - Kadri - Nylander. I guarantee everyone will start scoring on that line with Nylander there although sosh is also a good fit.

True. I would like to see how many assists Nye can pile up with players who can finish - like Stamkos. I am sure we have at least one like that coming up. William himself is a good finisher. Should be interesting to see how JVR complements these rookies as they fire away at the net creating scoring chances and rebounds in front of the net. The kind that JVR is used to deflecting or picking up the rebound and finishing off the play.

Mad Brills*

One good thing is that nylander's defensive game look stout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad