GDT: Maple Leafs @ Capitals | 7 PM - SN | This.... May not end well

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Nylander was good. Good on D battling for the puck, nice zone entries and made some nice passes to the late man. His line tilted possession nicely. He keeps playing like that and Babcock wil kept throwing him out there.

The fact that Nylander is doing all this to the Caps on his second game is hugely impressive.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
this place will explode if leafs finish dead last and don't win the lottery.

no not really. After last season everyone should know not to get your hopes up and know what the disappointment is like.

I'm not banking on getting 1st... will be quite upset if we fall outside of the top 3 especially if we finish last.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
People like to troll - that's all

well, personally - I thought I articulated my position well. but I'm sorry that you thought i was trolling.

Maybe 3 years from now is when we make the big trade for a top pairing d-man but Kadri won't get it done, it will be Marner or Nylander that gets traded.

Meanwhile, centremen can always be moved to the wing. For the moment (and the next couple of years), I see zero reason to trade Kadri.

This is true.

but again. I think we'll be seeing a lot of moving parts.. It's nothing against Naz. nor is it a shiny toy syndrome here. If he stays - then he stays, and yay. But our defense is bad, and as I've been saying lately - I just don't see them "waiting" to address it. It is a huge problem in Columbus (part in parcel why they got Jones), massive problem in Edmonton (obviously). Three years seems like an awful long time to address it.

Hopefully JVR is the trade chip. JVR doesn't do what Kadri does IMO and Kadri is our home grown boy. I'm sick of not keeping our guys. Kaberle is literally the only home grown guy we've kept who's a good player since I've been following this team.

Kadri is easily worth $4.5 minimum. I'd have no issue paying him $5.5 long term and if it's less than that bonus. Also this team will have little cap issues for years, a guy like Kadri won't turn into some albatross at that kind of cap hit.

maybe. like I said, if it were me, JVR would be traded this season but everyone goes no. But recently, I've noticed if it's not a mercenary or like Holland, Marincin etc. - no one wants to trade anyone. You bring up someone and it's "noooo, I like him he's great, he can stay here we need people like him." no matter who it is.

Again - I think this team is still very fluid - all the heavy selling is gone, but there is still a lot of pruning to be done, but people toss out "oh well we don't like people who is 25 < etc" and it just gets irksome.

Chicago got rid of a lot of home grown boys and they keep on ticking. :dunno:

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
This place will actually explode if the Leafs finally win the lottery this year. This site could barely handle the Trade Deadline traffic a few days ago :)

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
no not really. After last season everyone should know not to get your hopes up and know what the disappointment is like.

I'm not banking on getting 1st... will be quite upset if we fall outside of the top 3 especially if we finish last.

Yeah but maybe next year the team improves and we finish 7th worst and get into the top 3 in the draft.

This thing is going to be a crapshoot going forward, and if the Leafs climb slowly but steadily through the standings the next couple years we might end up getting lucky.

But sure I'd rather get 1st this year and get lucky in the years to come :handclap:

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This place will actually explode if the Leafs finally win the lottery this year. This site could barely handle the Trade Deadline traffic a few days ago :)

If we actually sit in last after this season I might have to do something special for the draft lottery just in case we do win. usually just stay at home but maybe hit up real sports bar or something that day. it could be an epic event for us..

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
I just want top 3. That's all i want just don't drop to 4th.

Picking up Chychrun very possibly makes Jake expendable for a top 4 rh dman and bam, our defense is looking way up.
People are talking about Dubois lately like he's as good a pick as one of the Finns.
Top 3 is better but I don't think 4th is all that bad.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Picking up Chychrun very possibly makes Jake expendable for a top 4 rh dman and bam, our defense is looking way up.
People are talking about Dubois lately like he's as good a pick as one of the Finns.
Top 3 is better but I don't think 4th is all that bad.

It could even end up a blessing landing outside the top 3 if we get a top defenceman that turns out.

It's all good, we've got some nice prospects and we're about to get a ******** more and more importantly they will be developed properly for once with competent management all around, for real!

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
well, personally - I thought I articulated my position well. but I'm sorry that you thought i was trolling. :

I am sorry I was not talking about you, but the fact is he (Kadri) does take a lot of heat for apparent no reason (and again I am not talking about you), we keep on talking about trading him for a D. First of all we should pick our own 1st or 2nd pairing D through draft and develop them properly. Trade is not the only option, we can't just play let all these teenagers without any experienced NHLers. We should not follow the foot prints of Oilers

If we really have to trade some one then why not JVR, he does have more value and is a bit older then Kadri

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I'm more worried and scared of Edmonton or Montreal winning 1st than the Leafs not getting 1st overall

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
this place will explode if leafs finish dead last and don't win the lottery.

I've resigned myself to the probability that we won't win the draft lottery. I'll be happy with a top 3 pick.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I missed the game, so I'm watching the highlights. You know how you cringe from a huge hit? Same reaction but to the Soshnikov goal. WHAT A SHOT, Pierre McGuire would be proud.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I just want top 3. That's all i want just don't drop to 4th.
Why? Sure, it would be great to get a top 3, but there seem to be four or five players almost equally worth having, including a couple of defensemen, so I don't see what all the concern is drafting top 3.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
That's not true as people are mentally prepared, yes we would love to have a lottery pick but not the end of the world. I am happy with the direction the management have taken

As long as we don't drop out of the top3 and the Oilers don't frigging win it I'm happy.

If the Oilers win it again the league should look into putting a cap on how many times a team can have the 1st overall over a set time span.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
As long as we don't drop out of the top3 and the Oilers don't frigging win it I'm happy.

If the Oilers win it again the league should look into putting a cap on how many times a team can have the 1st overall over a set time span.

That's going to be way too late, sooner or later Oilers will be out of basement

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Why? Sure, it would be great to get a top 3, but there seem to be four or five players almost equally worth having, including a couple of defensemen, so I don't see what all the concern is drafting top 3.

I'd rather see us draft in the top 3 and then try and work some Lou magic on draft day. Package some picks and a player possibly for another top 10 pick or as close to it as possible. Unlikely yes but still possible with this management team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad