Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs @ Canadiens FEB 20th 7pm EST

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This is going to be the longest pregame thread ever made.

I'm not sure when Campbell's supposed to be back but apparently Andersen's played like 8 games in a row? It's not surprising he's breaking down like he did last night. I'm assuming Hutch gets a start on Wed or Thurs, but we will be playing them on their 3rd game in 4 nights with a pretty tired goalie.

Could bode well. But I'm just throwing stuff out there because it's going to be a decade before we play again.
Leafs have the same problem with Andersen that we had with Price. No confidence in their backup, which translates to an overload for their starter. Not surprising that in past years Toronto has sagged as the season wore on. They lean too heavily on a handful of core players who eventually tire out.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Leafs have the same problem with Andersen that we had with Price. No confidence in their backup, which translates to an overload for their starter. Not surprising that in past years Toronto has sagged as the season wore on. They lean too heavily on a handful of core players who eventually tire out.
It's funny because I find that fans of teams that rag on Price and his contract the most are usually teams that put barely any stock in goaltending in the first place i.e. Toronto and Edmonton. Then they usually find out the hard way that you kind of need a good one in order to win.

Even Tampa has Vassy, who's probably the best in the league, along with their core stars.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

Agreed and its not only the goalie, Marner is averaging 23 mins a game Matthews 22.02. The only other forwards with that type of ice time are Mcdavid 22:30, Draisaitel 21:55, and RNH 21:49.

Playing those type of minutes in a compressed schedule will result in more mental lapses as the season progresses. Those are great players and you want them on ice as much as possible but there is a point of diminishing returns and at 22 or 23 mins a night they are past that point.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's funny because I find that fans of teams that rag on Price and his contract the most are usually teams that put barely any stock in goaltending in the first place i.e. Toronto and Edmonton. Then they usually find out the hard way that you kind of need a good one in order to win.

Even Tampa has Vassy, who's probably the best in the league, along with their core stars.
Andersen's a notch below the top goalies, but he's a solid workhorse for the Leafs who's been unfairly blamed for their collapses. His contract's up after this season. If the team doesn't get far I can see him bolting out of beantown to keep his sanity.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Agreed and its not only the goalie, Marner is averaging 23 mins a game Matthews 22.02. The only other forwards with that type of ice time are Mcdavid 22:30, Draisaitel 21:55, and RNH 21:49.

Playing those type of minutes in a compressed schedule will result in more mental lapses as the season progresses. Those are great players and you want them on ice as much as possible but there is a point of diminishing returns and at 22 or 23 mins a night they are past that point.
That's exactly what I'm thinking, maybe coloured with a little wishful thinking!

Reactions: CDN24

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Can Toronto do us a favour and lose 3 straight to the Sens?

Good start! but...

wck6n.jpg

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The Leafs have some top-notch forward talent and a superstar in AM but I don't see them as the type of team that could do well in a 7 game series. They aren't built for the grind of the playoffs, they aren't physical especially up front but they do have the assets to address this and it will be interesting to see if they make changes or go with what they have.

Reactions: Runner77 and BLONG7

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Leafs have some top-notch forward talent and a superstar in AM but I don't see them as the type of team that could do well in a 7 game series. They aren't built for the grind of the playoffs, they aren't physical especially up front but they do have the assets to address this and it will be interesting to see if they make changes or go with what they have.
Dubas strikes me as someone who’s determined to double down on his strategy following his “build a team like the Soviets model”...

Reactions: Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Dubas strikes me as someone who will double down on his strategy to “team build like the Soviets” come hell or high water.

He’ll either come out smelling like roses or be banished & disappear from the game

Reactions: OldCraig71

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
The Habs allegedly improved centerline is overrated as hell. Need more from Drouin, Tatar and Weber too. If it weren't for the newcomers, this team would have sunk already. Home game so easy win for the laffs. 5-1 Toronto with Tavares and Nylander popping two each.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
This off week is beneficial. The season started abruptly without a training camp. This off week allows the team to process information and improve special teams. Players and coaches have the extra time to watch videos and tune up their game in practice. Resting small injuries too. This is a blessing in disgise.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad