Speculation: Maple Leafs' busy offseason plans (all-encompassing Leafs thread)

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
If we're talking about the year the Pens picked up Hossa, then Malkin wasn't injury prone at that point.

If we're talking in general about the Pens' Cup winning years (ie. between 2009 to 2017), then their cap hits aren't even close to the issue the Leafs' cap hits are since only two of them (Crosby and Malkin) were top 10 cap hits. Letang's squarely in the 15-20 range during that time.

I just think it's a misguided idea that the Leafs are "following the Pens' model" because they don't have two generational centers. For that "model" to work, those two players who take up that much of the cap hit have to be the best (or at least top 3) in the entire league. The Leafs are paying guys who aren't that, similar type money. And they're paying more of them that (3 highly paid Leafs versus 2 highly paid Pens).
I’ll take Mathews over Malkin personally but I think they are very close for their ages.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ristolanien for Kerfoot Johnson Pitts 1st

1665967697605638~c5_720x720.jpeg

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I just don’t get how Toronto could build a team with 5 guys taking 50M and 7 60M.

Are they going to have everyone else on under 1M contracts?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Apparently tying up a shitload of money into 3 players wasn't enough, better make it 4 $10+ million players :laugh:
Who here wouldn't like to have a core of Mathews,Marner,Tavares and Pietrangelo? Lololol but the Leafs are dumb lololol. Teams lock up core players and sacrifice others. Its not anything new. "But team X signed this great player for cheap". That's great. We didn't. Get over it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Call me crazy but they could make trades.

It still doesnt’t change the question.

If you have 7 guys taking 60million how do you build a contender, with quality depth?
You’d need to rely purely on elc’s/league min contracts and find a goalie while at it

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

If you have 7 guys taking 60million how do you build a contender, with quality depth?
You’d need to rely purely on elc’s/league min contracts and find a goalie while at it
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Leafs made some pretty big trades after the playoffs. We're talking Nylander, Johnsson, Holl etc gone. I'm not banking on Pietrangelo signing here at all, so there will be space assuming the re-tool does happen. I dont think theres any doubt that the Leafs will be looking at guys like Tanev,Gudas etc to even things out. Lots of assumptions on my part but Dubas has to shift some salary to the blue line. Its inevitable.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Ou make trades like thy did with Kapanen , you draft well like they have with Johnsson, Dermott, Robertson, Nylander, Sandin, Matthews Rielly and Brown and others.

You find undrafted players like they did with Moore, Mikieyhev and to a lesser extent Zaitisev
You have to be smart but it is doable in fact they have been doing it that's why they could trade Kapanen and likely not even feel it because if they do anything right it is find and develop wingers.

Centr depth is a different story beyond Matthews and Tavares there isn't much there

But wingers they are good at finding

Last edited:
Reactions: The Podium

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Leafs made some pretty big trades after the playoffs. We're talking Nylander, Johnsson, Holl etc gone. I'm not banking on Pietrangelo signing here at all, so there will be space assuming the re-tool does happen. I dont think theres any doubt that the Leafs will be looking at guys like Tanev,Gudas etc to even things out. Lots of assumptions on my part but Dubas has to shift some salary to the blue line. Its inevitable.

I am not convinced a core piece goes this off season I am thinking Kerfoot, Johnsson, Hool, maybe Andersen, OK Andersen is a core piece but up front I think the big 4 get 1 more year.

Based on what Friedman said about a month ago that appears to be the plan. And quite frankly I think thy should, I don't think the issues in Toronto are core issues.

I think they are depth issues specifically the right side of the defense.

I think we need to give this team an actual NHL caliber right side defense before we start breaking up th core

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Johnsson traded for a pick
Sign Brodie and Demelo
Bridge Mikheyev and Dermott
Rodriguez and Spezza stay on cheap deals

Reactions: Crosscrease14

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Who here wouldn't like to have a core of Mathews,Marner,Tavares and Pietrangelo? Lololol but the Leafs are dumb lololol. Teams lock up core players and sacrifice others. Its not anything new. "But team X signed this great player for cheap". That's great. We didn't. Get over it.

Tavares was not needed, he was the overkill that gave you the cap issues.
I get Pajama boy was a free asset and still a really good player but you guys would have been fine and more balanced with Matthews - Nylander/Kadri as your top two Cs.

pan43

Feb 1, 2019
He didn't even have the highest cap hit in the league that year.

Who's cap hit was higher? Ovechkin? Who signed a 9.538 deal in like '08. His caphit wa 19% of the cap when signed and was 13 years long. That contract is illegal now and shouldn't be used as a comparable.

They all signed under what the going rate at the time for star power was 10mill+. The going rate now is around 11-12.5mill for top level. They were still signing under league highs

Kane and Toews didn't sign there 10.5M deals a year after. Crosby was on his cap circumvention deal at 8.7 for a million years. Kopitar signed his 10M deal a few years after that. And i can't think of anyone else in 2013 with a 9.5M or higher cap hit.

Crosby and Malkin had massive deals when they signed them. Aside from Ovechkin's extremely unique deal. Malkin definitely didn't take less than the going rate for star players. Crobsys is an illegal contract now as well and also an extremely high cap hit for the time as well. He would have been a higher cap hit if not for the contract length and Salary manipulation throughout the years.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Who's cap hit was higher? Ovechkin? Who signed a 9.538 deal in like '08. His caphit wa 19% of the cap when signed and was 13 years long. That contract is illegal now and shouldn't be used as a comparable.

Kane and Toews didn't sign there 10.5M deals a year after. Crosby was on his cap circumvention deal at 8.7 for a million years. Kopitar signed his 10M deal a few years after that. And i can't think of anyone else in 2013 with a 9.5M or higher cap hit.

Crosby and Malkin had massive deals when they signed them. Aside from Ovechkin's extremely unique deal. Malkin definitely didn't take less than the going rate for star players. Crobsys is an illegal contract now as well and also an extremely high cap hit for the time as well. He would have been a higher cap hit if not for the contract length and Salary manipulation throughout the years.

Every cup win this decade except the Hawks in 2010 had 2 or more players who signed a 10+% cap deal, most of which weren’t cap circumventing deals.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

It’s true, you can’t compare contracts from back then to recent ones. You need apples to apples. The Mcdavid and Eichel and Panarin contracts are better comparables to use.

Reactions: pan43

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I don't know who outside of Leafs Nation really cares what the Leafs do this offseason.

This thread should be on the Leafs boards.
You are new HF? The Leafs are more important to many here than their own teams. It's why you see endless Leaf threads started by non Leaf fans.

Everyone needs to be told their Core is better in vs Leaf polls.

Seriously though, this should be on our forum.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't know who outside of Leafs Nation really cares what the Leafs do this offseason.

This thread should be on the Leafs boards.
Disagree, they're the league's glamour franchise, and always draw a high amount of interest. Don't want to chase different stories through or 4 subforums either.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
He didn't even have the highest cap hit in the league that year.

As for "following the Pittsburgh model", Pens had 2 highly paid players. And both of them had actually performed as top 2 players in hockey at that point. The Leafs have 3 guys making over $10 million and none of them are top 2 players in hockey with multiple awards to their credit.
well said

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I think they should have been more prepared for Pie. I don't know who else they move to make space for him.

Also need some defensive d-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad