Low Effort GDT Maple Leafs at Sens - Game 1 - Tonight: 7 p.m., TSN, RDS - No Crosschecking the Leafs Edition Pt2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So full game review compared to my review after 1.

Gudbransson had a good first then got caught swimming a bunch after imo.

the kids were good norris probably the least effective of the kids.

coburn-Jbrown were a massive adventure. Not a pleasant one either.

nick Paul monstrous game. Connor brown good game. Tierney is TIerney.

Chabot was alright.

anisimov. No way what we heard from coaching was true. This guy got hyped just to get white and brown and whoever going. Slow, sloppy, not engaged.

paquette. Don’t matter if he played on tampa. He’s just not that good.

Wolanin extrmemely rough could have done without.

Murray made the saves but technically I thought prettt sloppy some bad rebounds didn’t freeze puck but he did what he had to do and that’s all that matters after the games done.

our play in the defensive zone is so ghastly. It’s basically a PP for the other team. Our defence is slow to pucks because they are slow.

stepan the best of the acquisitions after the first. Played a great 2nd and 3rd.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Great

Nick Paul: 'Nuff said
Brady Tkachuk: As always
Drake Batherson: Might be the best offensive forward on the team, dynamite weapon on the PP
Josh Norris: Was the 3rd wheel on his line, but made splash plays at both ends and showed he clearly belongs
Thomas Chabot: A few mistakes, but the guy played a ton of minutes and was dynamite

Good:

Tim Stutzle: Showed he belonged with his speed and skill, not intimidated by the moment, going to be a star.
Evgeni Dadonov: Kinda under the radar with the play of the kids, but quietly had a good game. The chemistry with Tim will come.
Derek Stepan: I think the (lack of) speed is going to hurt him eventually but credit where credit is due for a job well done tonight.
Chris Tierney: Very solid effort. I'm starting to come around on him style wise, he's very vanilla but he can really quiet the play down.
Connor Brown: Not as good as his linemates tonight, but played his game and will more often than not fall into the "good" category after a win.
Austin Watson: Can't ever fault a 4th liner when they score a pretty bardown goal and (try) to drop the gloves. Solid showing.
Matt Murray: Very solid game overall. He looks massive in the net, even bigger than his days in Pitt. I'm no top goalie evaluator but he seems to square up nice for the first shot.

Bad:

Defence: Outside of Chabot they are who we thought they were. I liked the physicality down low, but there's a lot of skill lacking in transition. Credit to Coburn on the pass that led to the Watson goal.
4th line: Outside of the Watson goal (credit to Watson and Coburn) I thought they were pretty bad. Got hemmed in a lot and Arty and Ced were the worst 2 forwards by a margin tonight, imo.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Pinto and Sanderson to come as soon as this year too hoooo boy
Hopefully Sokolov and Formenton have strong seasons in the AHL and earn some games up in the NHL this year. It would be great if the black aces squad was Pinto, Sanderson, Sokolov and Formenton. It would give us some great depth for a solid playoff run.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Doesn't this bother people? ' I haven't seen anything analytically?' I mean, hard to take someone seriously that makes an opinion but doesn't trust there eyes.
just some dude's tweet .. twitter is a world of tell me what I should thinks

Reactions: NyQuil

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Doesn't this bother people? ' I haven't seen anything analytically?' I mean, hard to take someone seriously that makes an opinion but doesn't trust there eyes.

Yes, it extremely annoying. They are too afraid of giving a real opinion about something based on their own perception of the game. They want to rely on someone else's narrative to decide how someone is playing.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I feel like you guys are being too critical of the defence. Toronto is supposed to have a great offence, I thought we held up pretty well against them.

They played very well, it was a good team effort defensively. For all the possession Toronto had, Ottawa out-shot and out-chanced them, also doubled the high danger chances. Having the puck on your stick is good if you are doing something with it, Toronto didn't do much.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Yeah I pretty much just posted it for the video clip. It was entertaining watching Watson and Tkachuk chirp the Leafs.

Reactions: bert

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
Paul - Tierney - Brown was beautiful to watch. Paul and Brown looked like defensively responsible wingers who could hold down our third line for the foreseeable future. I would like to see Chlapik play in this bottom six, he's a surprisingly good pest. I'd like to see our bottom six looking something like:

Paul - Tierney - Brown
Formenton - Chlapik - Watson

Adding the speed and peskiness of Formenton would make that a difficult bottom six to play against.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Doesn’t bother me but it is what is. My eyes bled watxhing coburn

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I feel like you guys are being too critical of the defence. Toronto is supposed to have a great offence, I thought we held up pretty well against them.
Our defense was really solid this game. A few mistakes here and there but pretty solid play for the majority of the game. Wolanin was the main d man who stood out in a bad way. Hopefully it is just rust and that he can make the necessary adjustments soon.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

Yes, it extremely annoying. They are too afraid of giving a real opinion about something based on their own perception of the game. They want to rely on someone else's narrative to decide how someone is playing.

Well, if you don't mind me being nit-picky, the guy does straight out right say he thinks these guys had a good game. That his opinion, that they had a good game. They never say anything like "I'm not sure whether or not I think they had a good game".

I interpreted his comment as being more about "but does the corroborating evidence hold up?" Humans have biases. Humans have deficiencies. The informed opinion would have a mix of both the facts and the gut interpretation.

This "too afraid" stuff is silly. I'd rather listen to someone trying to be objective 10000000000000% more of the time than someone whose lacks of integrity lets them spew incorrect, ill-informed junk without consideration.

Reactions: Tragedy and bert

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
So full game review compared to my review after 1.

Gudbransson had a good first then got caught swimming a bunch after imo.

the kids were good norris probably the least effective of the kids.

coburn-Jbrown were a massive adventure. Not a pleasant one either.

nick Paul monstrous game. Connor brown good game. Tierney is TIerney.

Chabot was alright.

anisimov. No way what we heard from coaching was true. This guy got hyped just to get white and brown and whoever going. Slow, sloppy, not engaged.

paquette. Don’t matter if he played on tampa. He’s just not that good.

Wolanin extrmemely rough could have done without.

Murray made the saves but technically I thought prettt sloppy some bad rebounds didn’t freeze puck but he did what he had to do and that’s all that matters after the games done.

our play in the defensive zone is so ghastly. It’s basically a PP for the other team. Our defence is slow to pucks because they are slow.

stepan the best of the acquisitions after the first. Played a great 2nd and 3rd.

Sens must have been crushed with all those bad performances tonight...

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Marner was not really on his game he was avoiding contact and really not his usual self .. if he plays like that he's going to have a long year
The Leafs roster is not well suited for a physical high compete game. They don't really have that battle in them. They are built for a typical regular season where there is a lot more time and space. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of their players start looking invisible when the intensity level of the games ratchet up.

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad