Low Effort GDT Maple Leafs at Sens - Game 1 - Tonight: 7 p.m., TSN, RDS - No Crosschecking the Leafs Edition Pt2

Status
Not open for further replies.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
He didn’t look rusty - he looked underdeveloped - he isn’t the player that has been plastered around here constantly for 16 months.

Bring on Brann.

It was game 1. Jesus. And they beat the 2054 Stanley Cup Champions.

Why would anyone tinker with the lineup? Players should get to figure out their games while the team is winning.

Reactions: Guttersniped

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
Batherson and Tkachuk were great, Murray was good, Stutz was good too for a first game, just needed to calm his nerves.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It was game 1. Jesus. And they beat the 2054 Stanley Cup Champions.

Why would anyone tinker with the lineup? Players should get to figure out their games while the team is winning.

Good is good - it’s obvious when someone’s game isn’t there.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Good:
Chabot A goal, 3 SOG, 2 hits, 2 blocks. 2 takeaways. ( including one beauty) + 1. Did take a couple penalties though and did have some giveaways. Still a solid game.
Tkachuk. 3 points. 5 hits. +3 Great game
Batherson: 2 points. 5 shots on goal. 4 hits. 1 blocked shot +2
Zaitsev: 2 points. Hit someone and blocked a shot. +3
Paul: A hit, an assist, a block, and 3 takeaways. Was all over the ice.
Tierney: A couple hits, a couple takeaways, and a goal
Stepan: A goal, a hit, a block, and 70% on the faceoff dot.
Norris: Solid game all around.
Watson: He had a goal. Only has 12:00 of icetime. Can't expect more from a 4th line guy. Edit: Didn't take any shit from Toronto either which let Tkachuk/Batherson/Norris/etc.. do their thing.

Bad:
Anisimov: No hits. No blocks and a giveaway. -1.
Wolanin: No hits, no blocks. 2 giveaways - 1

Other:
Dadonov and Stutzle: Both were kind of invisible. Maybe someone saw some things I didn't No major screw ups. Just kinda invisible
Murray: Not a great game stats-wise. The team blocked a lot of low quality shots that might have bumped his %. but he kept the team in it while they weren't playing well in the 1st.
Paquette: Started out terrible, but really grinded it out and made up for it, 3 hits, 3 blocks, and a takeaway.
Brown: Meh
Gudbranson: Meh
Coburn: Meh.
Josh Brown: Didn't notice him at all.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It was a good warmup...but the real test is tomorrow.

Going to see some pushback by the leafs (if they have any heart) and more aggressive offensive play. How we respond to it will be telling. I have a feeling the game will be closer, but we have tons of swagger this year...I think the guys will be able to push back pretty well against them.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Good:
Chabot A goal, 3 SOG, 2 hits, 2 blocks. 2 takeaways. ( including one beauty) + 1. Did take a couple penalties though and did have some giveaways. Still a solid game.
Tkachuk. 3 points. 5 hits. +3 Great game
Batherson: 2 points. 5 shots on goal. 4 hits. 1 blocked shot +2
Zaitsev: 2 points. Hit someone and blocked a shot. +3
Paul: A hit, an assist, a block, and 3 takeaways. Was all over the ice.
Tierney: A couple hits, a couple takeaways, and a goal
Stepan: A goal, a hit, a block, and 70% on the faceoff dot.
Norris: Solid game all around.
Watson: He had a goal. Only has 12:00 of icetime. Can't expect more from a 4th line guy. Edit: Didn't take any shit from Toronto either which let Tkachuk/Batherson/Norris/etc.. do their thing.

Bad:

Other:
Dadonov and Stutzle: Both were kind of invisible. Maybe someone saw some things I didn't No major screw ups. Just kinda invisible
Murray: Not a great game stats-wise. The team blocked a lot of low quality shots that might have bumped his %. but he kept the team in it while they weren't playing well in the 1st.
Paquette: Started out terrible, but really grinded it out and made up for it, 3 hits, 3 blocks, and a takeaway.
Brown: Meh
Gudbranson: Meh
Coburn: Meh.
Josh Brown: Didn't notice him at all.
Murray was very solid. Only bad goal was Tavares one. He was pretty calm in net

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He was fumbling pucks all night long, that's not his MO, never has been, the rust was clear as day and his confidence was shot. The player that skating today was not the same one from before the injury to start last season.

Definitely wasn't the player he can be tonight, rust is a fair excuse. He can be pretty dynamic with the puck. The problem has always been his play when defending but he did fine in a sheltered role tonight, thought pairing him with Gudbranson mid way through really calmed him down. The play with the puck will come.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

Going to see some pushback by the leafs (if they have any heart) and more aggressive offensive play. How we respond to it will be telling. I have a feeling the game will be closer, but we have tons of swagger this year...I think the guys will be able to push back pretty well against them.

Meh, even if the Leafs win tomorrow, we proved we can hold our own against them, and be the better team for a majority of the game.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Actually the pressure is all on the Leafs tomorrow. If they have cup aspirations they should have an answer for what the Sens did to them. If by chance the Sens play it close or actually win; it will say a lot about the Leafs desire and heart.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Two worst Sens tonight

Bad:

*Wolanin prob had x10 that number of giveaway/turnovers/soft plays.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Definitely wasn't the player he can be tonight, rust is a fair excuse. He can be pretty dynamic with the puck. The problem has always been his play when defending but he did fine in a sheltered role tonight, thought pairing him with Gudbranson mid way through really calmed him down. The play with the puck will come.

Yeah, I was wondering if the decision to move Gudbranson away from Chabot was to try and help out Wolanin. As the night went on he got less bad, but with the puck on his stick he just wasn't clicking at all for him today.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Meh, even if the Leafs win tomorrow, we proved we can hold our own against them, and be the better team for a majority of the game.

If that was our effort in the first game of the season, I can only imagine how good we will be when:

- the new guys settle in
- Stützle realizes he can definitely play in the NHL
- Murray gets comfortable in nets
- Norris and Batherson get more confident

To the playoffs we go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad