Dreger: Maple Leafs Among Teams Interested in Hall

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
????? that is already accounted for. The players salary is already accounted for in full.

you don’t get salary cap penalties for being injured. The player doesn’t get paid twice. What you are suggesting would mean that teams would
Have to be millions under the cap. What if 5 players get injured? For 7 games. That’s 4 million

IF a player gets injured and you can’t put them
On the LTIR you don’t get to spend their millions. Like you can’t trade for or call up a 3 million dollar player. But you can call up an 800k player.

The leafs did it the year tavares and marner were both hurt.

If the leafs spent to 81.5 exactly. And marner gets injured for 5 games. They can call up Robertson at 796 k for 0 dollars against the cap.

They have done if for 2 years multiple
Times

ya your right players won’t get paid twice, my bad.

LTIR - after 10 games missed you can spend the amount your over the cap, until player comes back. So It is possible to spend millions.

Like I said I’m sure emergency call ups change after 3 call ups, just don’t recall the rule.
I guess your not making any TDL deals as well.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
The Cowboys have won 5 Super Bowls since 1970. The Leafs not so much.

I meant in over the top media hype and everything running back to both franchises in the off season. But yes the obligation to always find a way to take a pot shot at the Leafs is well noted.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
ya your right players won’t get paid twice, my bad.

LTIR - after 10 games missed you can spend the amount your over the cap, until player comes back. So It is possible to spend millions.

Like I said I’m sure emergency call ups change after 3 call ups, just don’t recall the rule.
I guess your not making any TDL deals as well.

nope you make cap space for trade deadline day throughout the season. You send players down on non game days on paper transactions to accrue scan space. If you look at the leafs transactions they “call up and send down” players
All the time. Like constantly. They do it to create space.

the marner year they had to re acquire the Clarkson contract and couldn’t afford anything other than hutch at the start of the year.

by the end of it. They were able to trade for Clifford Campbell and retain salary for Vegas to get lehner.

If you aren’t used to it I can see why it is confusing. But you are clearly incorrect. Toronto’s plan.

1.) sign vets on 1 way deals to call up
2.) spend to cap on 20 man roster
3.) use emergency call ups for injuries
4.) paper transactions to waive players on off days to make cap space for the deadline

First few weeks can be tough. But they do it

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
nope you make cap space for trade deadline day throughout the season. You send players down on non game days on paper transactions to accrue scan space. If you look at the leafs transactions they “call up and send down” players
All the time. Like constantly. They do it to create space.

the marner year they had to re acquire the Clarkson contract and couldn’t afford anything other than hutch at the start of the year.

by the end of it. They were able to trade for Clifford Campbell and retain salary for Vegas to get lehner.

If you aren’t used to it I can see why it is confusing. But you are clearly incorrect. Toronto’s plan.

1.) sign vets on 1 way deals to call up
2.) spend to cap on 20 man roster
3.) use emergency call ups for injuries
4.) paper transactions to waive players on off days to make cap space for the deadline

First few weeks can be tough. But they do it

9 game limit on emergency recall then becomes regular recall.

After using 3 emergency call ups rule changes.

Also a good way to piss of players, sending them down on off days.

Also of a player is playing poorly, and want to sit him for another player, no emergency recall for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: flying v 604

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
9 game limit on emergency recall then becomes regular recall.

After using 3 emergency call ups rule changes.

Also a good way to piss of players, sending them down on off days.

happens all the time. They do it. the leafs
They have done it consistently for 2 years. You can disagree all
You want. But it doesn’t make it any less true. The leafs will spend close to the cap at 81.5 on a 20-21 man roster.

they will use emergency call ups and paper transactions to cover room

they will have money to make deadline acquisitions. Just like the last 2 years.

whether the cap gymnastics actually gets them
Out of the first round. Wellll that’s yet to be seen

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
happens all the time. They do it. the leafs
They have done it consistently for 2 years. You can disagree all
You want. But it doesn’t make it any less true. The leafs will spend close to the cap at 81.5 on a 20-21 man roster.

they will use emergency call ups and paper transactions to cover room

they will have money to make deadline acquisitions. Just like the last 2 years.

whether the cap gymnastics actually gets them
Out of the first round. Wellll that’s yet to be seen

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
lol ok
you never addressed one point.

???? It is literally what they have done for the last 2 years. There is nothing new. You are arguing they can’t do something. That they literally just did twice.

It’s about as logical as saying that the lightning can’t sit Kuch and bring him back for the playoffs.

wellll they just did.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
???? It is literally what they have done for the last 2 years. There is nothing new. You are arguing they can’t do something. That they literally just did twice.

It’s about as logical as saying that the lightning can’t sit Kuch and bring him back for the playoffs.

wellll they just did.
They are running out of waiver exempt players though. Aside from Sandin (42 games) and maybe Robertson who on the Leafs do you expect to be waiver exempt?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They are running out of waiver exempt players though. Aside from Sandin (42 games) and maybe Robertson who on the Leafs do you expect to be waiver exempt?

well those are 2. Also they have waived spezza about a million times.

they may call up hallander? Who knows. I mean. No one knew about off season LTIR till they did it. No one knew about having the full space until they brought back clarkson.

No one knew expected the 1 way emergency recall loophole until they did it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

wellll they just did.

1) 9 game limit on emergency call up, then cap counts.

2) Limit of 3 emergency call ups, then rule changes

3) If a player is playing bad, no emergency call up, just regular call up.

4) different waiver rules depending on players experience.

5) no impact other than ticking players off by sending them down on off days.

If your not replying to points, with something different than , they did it before, then don’t bother.

6) no more taxi squad, not sure what difference that makes, without thinking about it more.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
well those are 2. Also they have waived spezza about a million times.

they may call up hallander? Who knows. I mean. No one knew about off season LTIR till they did it. No one knew about having the full space until they brought back clarkson.

No one knew expected the 1 way emergency recall loophole until they did it.
I am not sure why teams have not forced the issue on Spezza. The "I'll retire if claimed" defense may not work in a normal year. He was playing at a 15 goal 45 point pace last year. This is a competitive league if a division foe forces him to retire it makes the Leafs worse.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am not sure why teams have not forced the issue on Spezza. The "I'll retire if claimed" defense may not work in a normal year. He was playing at a 15 goal 45 point pace last year. This is a competitive league if a division foe forces him to retire it makes the Leafs worse.

Because GMs act as colleagues with one another instead of as competitors. It's the culture of the league.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'll admit it. I don't know if Hall is perfect for the Leafs or if he's bad for the Leafs. I thought I knew but if these last playoffs proved anything...
At this point, I don't know what will turn the Leafs into a legit Cup contender. I think a lot of people feel that the current lineup won't do it. More heart/will do almost anything to win? Does Hall have that?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

because players value longevity and have memories.

Forcing a class and respected player into retirement would cause issues with players.

The panthers threw a hissy fit about yandles streak.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It would be Spezza's choice to retire in that scenario.

yes. And people know that he will retire. He has made it known.

so a team picking him on waivers will be forcing him to retire.

picking a player on waivers that you have no intention of playing for you so that he can’t play where he wants as a 37 year old who took league min is just nuts

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

picking a player on waivers that you have no intention of playing for you so that he can’t play where he wants as a 37 year old who took league min is just nuts
Low class move. Something you would more likely see on Storage Wars than the NHL
I doubt there is a GM in the league that would do that.... at least none that wants a future career dealing with players.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Low class move. Something you would more likely see on Storage Wars than the NHL
I doubt there is a GM in the league that would do that.... at least none that wants a future career dealing with players.

yep. Good guy in the league. Class act. Has a family and wants to be home in a pandemic.

30 pts from 1000.
Yep. Let’s get that guy.

No GM in their right mind would do that

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Nope. Still his choice. Always will be.

If you're going through the trouble to take Spezza on waivers when he's playing well, I think you're taking him to play him. Now, no GM is probably going to do that, but, no, it would be Spezza's choice to retire. You signed an NHL contract, subject to the rules and regulations of the league, not an exclusive Toronto Maple Leafs contract. Maybe in your mind you signed an exclusive contract, but, yeah, that's not real.

Maybe the Leafs shouldn't be putting the guy on waivers if he wants to be there so much. Maybe the Leafs need to not disrespect a class and respected player, by using him to manipulate the cap.

Jun 27, 2005
I meant in over the top media hype and everything running back to both franchises in the off season. But yes the obligation to always find a way to take a pot shot at the Leafs is well noted.

I'm a Leaf fan and while I don't know much about the NFL we are nothing like the Cowboys but very similar to Cleveland from what I understand and because of that we have to not take this stuff so seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad