Injury Report: Mantha out for 6-8 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
In is an interesting article.

I feel alot of teams could apply the practise of slightly more time in the minor leagues.

Yzerman used it with jonathon Drouin.

In the article they suggest leaving McDavid in Minors 1 more year.

I would expect that to be a bad choice.

If you feel the player will be > 0.5 PPG with improvement I think you keep him on the team.

If <= 0.5 PPG, I would likely send him down 1 year.

But there are different situations, like for Drouin, he isn't eligible for AHL play this season, he is too young. Mantha is, because he is older than Drouin. So for Tampa, their only options for Drouin were Tampa or back to Halifax. Drouin clearly doesn't need more development time in The Q, he has dominated that league, but he could possibly benefit from some AHL time. But it doesn't matter, they can't send him there. Kind of like the Wings pulling Jiri Fischer straight out of junior hockey to the NHL, because they felt like he was too good for The Q and could help his development by bringing him up rather than keeping him in juniors.

Mantha, though, can go the Grand Rapids, which is a clear step above The Q, and develop as a hockey player there, despite being drafted the same year as Drouin who can't. It is kind of BS that they "force" some kids to spend 2 years in the junior hockey after they are drafted due to the various league eligibility rules. I remember hearing that the Wings REALLY wanted Nastasiuk to be in Grand Rapids this year because they really like him and though he could help their team, but he isn't allowed until next year.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
^^^ I don't like the idea of taking the most talented kids out of junior for the AHL. I think it would water down the competition and hinder the development you see from the CHL. Nastasiuk is exactly the kind of guy that scouts want to see opposite of the draft eligible prospects they're surveying. It would be a huge mistake and that isn't even considering the off ice impact for these guys. I'd be more of an advocate of drafting players a year later than anything else.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@Slapshotg0al
Word on the street is that Anthony Mantha *may* possibly be able to play next weekend. Ooh La la!

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
@Slapshotg0al
Word on the street is that Anthony Mantha *may* possibly be able to play next weekend. Ooh La la!

Awesome news.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much because he'll probably be in GR all year but I can't help but imagine what he'd look like on a line with Dats and Z.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
If the Wings look like **** and Mantha is tearing up the AHL, why the hell would Holland keep him in the minors? I truly hope he gets to play more than 3 games by the end of the season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If the Wings look like **** and Mantha is tearing up the AHL, why the hell would Holland keep him in the minors? I truly hope he gets to play more than 3 games by the end of the season.
Let's just see what happens. Step 1 is for Mantha to get back to playing. Good to hear he's not far away.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008

While I suspect Mantha will do well in GR, I don't expect he'll tear it up down there. I'd imagine there is a certain level of performance to be attained where Holland would indeed send him east on I-96.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
While I suspect Mantha will do well in GR, I don't expect he'll tear it up down there. I'd imagine there is a certain level of performance to be attained where Holland would indeed send him east on I-96.

I would assume since he is regarded as a player with top 6 talent they would want to see somewhere between 20-30 games at a ppg level before they called him up. Most of our ahl'rs are expected to those amounts unless they are bottom 6 or defensive d prospects. Tatar was the lone player that did not hit that level but he was out of waiver options.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
lol, now we know why athletes go bankrupt.
I think he'll be alright. He's making $92,000 as a bonus alone each season. He's probably made more than that already this year just from being on IR (since he went on IR in Detroit and not GR, he's likely getting those nice NHL paychecks).

That's for Mantha, I mean. Sproul's purchase seems crazy. He's only making about 150k a year, so to drop 120k on a car is a little premature...

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think he'll be alright. He's making $92,000 as a bonus alone each season. He's probably made more than that already this year just from being on IR (since he went on IR in Detroit and not GR, he's likely getting those nice NHL paychecks).

That's for Mantha, I mean. Sproul's purchase seems crazy. He's only making about 150k a year, so to drop 120k on a car is a little premature...

I suppose. I mean, I hope these teams assign financial advisors to these kids at a young age to let them know what they're doing and the long-term effects of their decisions.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

They do make good money, not the wisest purchase. Something to keep in mind for Sproul he used to show pictures of a pretty nice truck all the time when he was in juniors. Looked to be top of the line, so maybe like a lot of hockey players he comes from a well to do family.

These guys basically live like college kids in terms of rent with roommates from the team. Used to hang out a decent amount with the Milwaukee Admirals guys and the have a lot of cash to burn, without a ton of expenses and at least a few guys on the team came from very privileged backgrounds. It might be this purchase isn't nearly as taxing as a lot of people think and fits within his budget that we know nothing about and 30K of it was the truck he traded in...

He was doing better with the American made truck than this new vehicle for his future home though even if I do find Audi's to be gorgeous automobiles.:laugh:

These guys have bonuses though, not surprising this is where a lot of them go. Both Sproul and Mantha have the kind of tools that even if they disappoint they are looking at 10+ million barring a career ending injury before they leave hockey. They will find checks for a little while because of their size, skating and shots, those kind of players always do even if they are disappointing.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

He's probably taking out an auto-loan or something. Doubt he is putting up the money up-front.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
They do make good money, not the wisest purchase. Something to keep in mind for Sproul he used to show pictures of a pretty nice truck all the time when he was in juniors. Looked to be top of the line, so maybe like a lot of hockey players he comes from a well to do family.

These guys basically live like college kids in terms of rent with roommates from the team. Used to hang out a decent amount with the Milwaukee Admirals guys and the have a lot of cash to burn, without a ton of expenses and at least a few guys on the team came from very privileged backgrounds. It might be this purchase isn't nearly as taxing as a lot of people think and fits within his budget that we know nothing about and 30K of it was the truck he traded in...

He was doing better with the American made truck than this new vehicle for his future home though even if I do find Audi's to be gorgeous automobiles.:laugh:

These guys have bonuses though, not surprising this is where a lot of them go. Both Sproul and Mantha have the kind of tools that even if they disappoint they are looking at 10+ million barring a career ending injury before they leave hockey. They will find checks for a little while because of their size, skating and shots, those kind of players always do even if they are disappointing.

From what I've seen of Sproul last year, this pre-season, and this year, if he makes 10+ million, it'll be from a lucrative career in the KHL. He needs to pull his head out of his ass ASAP and stop looking like a poor man's Marc-Andre Bergeron on stilts.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Apparently, they didn't read Shanny's letter to his younger self.

:laugh: I thought that too. And even though Shanny was an 18 year old in the NHL, I highly doubt his bonus was much more than what these kids are getting on their ELCs to play in the AHL, even considering inflation. Shanny was only making $110k in his 2nd year in the NHL (only about $210k in today's bills).

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Wait, what? Why would he be getting NHL paychecks? He got injured in the prospects tournament. He wasn't on the roster when he was injured and was never on IR in Detroit. Is this some obscure rule that I don't know about?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Wait, what? Why would he be getting NHL paychecks? He got injured in the prospects tournament. He wasn't on the roster when he was injured and was never on IR in Detroit. Is this some obscure rule that I don't know about?
They hadn't sent him down to GR yet (they were holding out that glimmer of hope that he'd make the team in camp). Basically, all the guys on contracts are called up for camp and sent down just prior to it. For that period of time, they're considered on the roster for purposes of their contracts (after all, it is Detroit Red Wings training camp... not anybody else's). That means anybody who's hurt long-term in camp is making NHL money until they get better and are sent down and the two-way clause kicks in.

For that other bit, it's that NHL contracts (by some clause of some kind) "default" to the NHL team. What that means is you have to send a player down to Grand Rapids—you don't send a player "up" to Detroit. So when you're doing pre-season kind of stuff (in training camp, development camp, etc), you're with your parent club unless explicitly specified. Anyway, the prospect tournament is Detroit Red Wings business, so it's the same deal. Anybody on a contract there who goes out long term gets paid for it, sort of like you still get paid if you get hurt at a practice or in the gym. You're doing things that the Wings asked you to do, in fulfillment of your contract with the Wings, and promoting their interests, and so on. It's all basically the same.

If that wasn't the case, you'd see lots of ugly situations, like teams trying to snake their way out of paying for players who get hurt at the WJC or something. However, there is the exception of the Olympics, and that was because teams could argue that the player was not performing in their contractual role as an NHL player, and so they ought not have to pay for those players' insurance for that period of time. At least with the WJC, you can argue that it's a developmental thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad