Injury Report: Mantha out for 6-8 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Is it realistic to expect to see him play with the Wings sometime this year? I know a lot of posters are hopeful but how likely is it really?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Is it realistic to expect to see him play with the Wings sometime this year? I know a lot of posters are hopeful but how likely is it really?
Pretty likely I'd say. Wings aren't having the easiest time scoring goals so if Mantha has a solid start in Grand Rapids I don't think they'll waste much time giving him a look in Detroit. Babcock will want to see what Mantha can do next to Datsyuk.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Pretty likely I'd say. Wings aren't having the easiest time scoring goals so if Mantha has a solid start in Grand Rapids I don't think they'll waste much time giving him a look in Detroit. Babcock will want to see what Mantha can do next to Datsyuk.

Would there be any fight from Holland on the matter? Isn't it Holland who usually wants to keep players in the AHL for conditioning? Holland in conjunction with other staff that is.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Would there be any fight from Holland on the matter? Isn't it Holland who usually wants to keep players in the AHL for conditioning? Holland in conjunction with other staff that is.
If there are injuries I think Babcock decides who gets called up. Of course, Holland then decides who stays and who goes when guys get healthy again. So if Babcock wants Mantha up I think it will happen, but how long he stays up is more in Holland's hands.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I would think the only way he gets called up is if he is significantly outperforming. I dont see this happening tbh. He will take a while to get back into the swing of things, on top of which not being the main guy anymore.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The way that Khan sounded, He did'nt think that Mantha would play for Detroit at all this year. Unless they get hit with tons of injuries that is.

I think if there are problems with us scoring... looking to Mantha is not the solution.

He will be in the AHL all year I expect (Baring massive #'s of injuries).
Ideally they want him to have 1 year at least in the AHL.

I think this is the right move anyway. Once he dominates 1 year at AHL, he knows he is ready for the NHL. There is no debate in his head. But if they pull him up to the NHL quickly, and he flounders... he will doubt himself. If he flounder's next year, it will not cause alot of psychological problems, since he will know he is where he is supposed to be.

I like the way Yzerman dealt with Drouin; the same way we will with Mantha. I would not at all expect Mantha to even dress this year. If he is killing it, maybe 2-3 games, just for fun. Next year is his time.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
The AHL will be a bigger adjustment for him than most here seem to be thinking.

Aug 6, 2012
Eastern Conference final Game6 would be a good starting point. Then for sure he won't get over 9 games at this season (will burn a year of his ELC). ;)

I've been hearing that a lot around here and isn't that irrelevant at this point? He's not in juniors anymore so his ELC has already started no?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I've been hearing that a lot around here and isn't that irrelevant at this point? He's not in juniors anymore so his ELC has already started no?

Apparently there is some "loophole" spawning from when he signed his contract and his birthday, that allows his ELC to slide if he plays less than 10 games. Sorry I can't provide a source.

Given the injury and the fact that it will be late November before he plays a pro game, its improbable that he plays more than 9 games.

To hit that 10 game mark, He would have to light up the AHL and NHL (in 9 games) to a level that even exceeds what Nyquist has done in the last year.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The AHL will be a bigger adjustment for him than most here seem to be thinking.

I agree, especially coming off of a broken leg. I don't think he will be back to his old self until after the first of the year.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think if there are problems with us scoring... looking to Mantha is not the solution.

He will be in the AHL all year I expect (Baring massive #'s of injuries).
Ideally they want him to have 1 year at least in the AHL.

I think this is the right move anyway. Once he dominates 1 year at AHL, he knows he is ready for the NHL. There is no debate in his head. But if they pull him up to the NHL quickly, and he flounders... he will doubt himself. If he flounder's next year, it will not cause alot of psychological problems, since he will know he is where he is supposed to be.

I like the way Yzerman dealt with Drouin; the same way we will with Mantha. I would not at all expect Mantha to even dress this year. If he is killing it, maybe 2-3 games, just for fun. Next year is his time.

Excellent point, I don't see Mantha up this year at all with his Injury that put him back a little he needs a full year in Grand Rapids unless he comes out on fire and lights the league up I just don't see him up this year. Next season is a totally different story though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad