Manitoba Moose moving to St. John's (upd: confirmed)

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
St. John's is the only market that makes sense... being in Canada and having an arena ready at a moment's notice with no major tenant.

I'd like to see them become the Newfoundland Moose. The name is probably even more applicable there than in Minnesota/Manitoba.

BrianL*

St. John's is the only market that makes sense... being in Canada and having an arena ready at a moment's notice with no major tenant.

I'd like to see them become the Newfoundland Moose. The name is probably even more applicable there than in Minnesota/Manitoba.

It would have to be the Newfoundland and Labrador Moose. Otherwise, you risk offending some of your fan base. :D

You know, considering all the parallels, it's like it was meant to be.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
If the Canucks switch their AHL affiliate to Chicago, I hope this would be a temporary thing. I was really hoping for another west coast AHL team (Seattle). From a Canucks perspective, it is also unfortunate, because the Moose and Canucks have had a very good working relationship that has helped both teams. Craig Heisinger is a real scouting and player development asset.

MatthewT

Mar 29, 2008
JSportsnet John Shannon
Moose to St.John's Nfld...hearing it might be short term fix...maybe 2 years...then relocated again...not sure that helps fans on the Rock.

regardless they should keep the name moose

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
If you read the aticle at the beginning it says true north will own for a year then Danny Williams will buy the team. I highly doubt he moves them to Thunder Bay.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.tsn.ca/ahl/story/?id=366455
TSN article on relocation

I suspect we'll see some franchise shuffling if the AHL returns to St. John's. A team in the Western Conference with an affiliate in Newfoundland would be a logistics nightmare.

And all the California teams have their AHL affiliations in New England. Is it really that big a deal?

(See stories from 09-10 on the Sharks Shuttle where the Sharks were so close to the cap they "had" to send kids cross country the day after a game and recall them day of game. McGinn made something like 30 cross country round trips that season.)

Habs 1909

Nov 29, 2008
Montreal/Ottawa
TSN's article reports that the announcement is scheduled for Friday and is contingent on the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg.
Therefore, is it safe to assume that the announcement of the Thrashers-Winnipeg situation will be made prior to next Friday? (Brunt reported that it will be announced Tuesday).

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
http://www.tsn.ca/ahl/story/?id=366455
TSN article on relocation

And all the California teams have their AHL affiliations in New England. Is it really that big a deal?

(See stories from 09-10 on the Sharks Shuttle where the Sharks were so close to the cap they "had" to send kids cross country the day after a game and recall them day of game. McGinn made something like 30 cross country round trips that season.)

St. Johns is not the easiest place to get to by commercial air. From Vancouver you have to fly through Toronto and/or Montreal and/or Ottawa and/or Halifax. It's also 4 1/2 time zones away, so players shuttling to the west coast and back also have to deal with timezone / jet lag issues.

The AHL has been very reticent (for good reason due to travel costs) to expand its footprint westward. When Calgary moved the Heat to Abbotsford, they had to agree to subsidize visiting teams travel costs. I'd love to see the Canucks AHL affiliate on the west coast, but all of the cities that could reasonably host an AHL team already have a WHL team. I don't like the idea of the AHL stepping on the WHL. Chilliwack was forced to move to Victoria (in part) due to Abbotsford.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
St. Johns is not the easiest place to get to by commercial air. From Vancouver you have to fly through Toronto and/or Montreal and/or Ottawa and/or Halifax. It's also 4 1/2 time zones away, so players shuttling to the west coast and back also have to deal with timezone / jet lag issues.

The AHL has been very reticent (for good reason due to travel costs) to expand its footprint westward. When Calgary moved the Heat to Abbotsford, they had to agree to subsidize visiting teams travel costs. I'd love to see the Canucks AHL affiliate on the west coast, but all of the cities that could reasonably host an AHL team already have a WHL team. I don't like the idea of the AHL stepping on the WHL. Chilliwack was forced to move to Victoria (in part) due to Abbotsford.

Why not go back to Salt Lake City?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Why not go back to Salt Lake City?

There's an ECHL team there. They "downgraded" from AHL team half a decade ago.

And see issues related to geographic expansion west of plains (and NHL affiliate reluctance to pay additional $$s for travel for minor league), including the $$ that AHL Abbotsford has to pay as they are so distant from other teams in the league.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Salt Lake doesn't really create a "cluster" of teams. It's just as far from Abbotsford as it is from Oklahoma, San Antonio etc. It would just create another costly road trip.

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
They would be fine in the division they are in now. When the Maple Leafs were in St. John's, they played in a division with Toronto/Edmonton (Roadrunners), Cleveland (Barons), Rochester, Hamilton, and Manitoba. Keeping the Canadian teams together, along with Lake Erie, Rochester, and Grand Rapids does make sense. Abbotsford pays travel costs, IIRC, and perhaps the St. John's team will, also.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT

St. John's is actually quite easy to get to by air, considering we're talking about a cross continental journey. You can do Calgary/Halifax stopovers or a straight hop from Toronto to the rock. For instance, there were 5 flights today from Ottawa/Halifax, 8 from Toronto, 2 from Calgary/Ottawa, and 11 others from Halifax. So you could go Vancouver to Calgary, change planes and be set until you reach St. John's.

Anyway, people have been crying for the AHL to come back every since the Baby Leafs left. Mile One was built for the AHL and St. John's is every bit the AHL city. People didn't get onboard with the Q, most people in Newfoundland have never followed the league and its only since the Fog Devils entered that the average fan even knew anything about major junior hockey. Newfoundland has a long history with senior hockey, which attracted former NHL players and even acted as a spring board for a few guys on their way up to the big leagues. Players were paid and treated like heroes. My point is that pro hockey has more staying power than junior likely ever will in Newfoundland.

IF Danny Williams is behind this team, they're going to be around for the long haul, not a two year stopover on their way to Thunder Bay.

Just for the info of the guy who started the thread, The Telegram is the daily paper for St. John's. We have our own on the west coast, and I don't think you can buy the Telegram locally where I live. But that's nitpicking and just a little aside, no criticism or harsh feelings intended. :)

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
They would be fine in the division they are in now. When the Maple Leafs were in St. John's, they played in a division with Toronto/Edmonton (Roadrunners), Cleveland (Barons), Rochester, Hamilton, and Manitoba. Keeping the Canadian teams together, along with Lake Erie, Rochester, and Grand Rapids does make sense. Abbotsford pays travel costs, IIRC, and perhaps the St. John's team will, also.

To the best of my knowledge, St. John's had to help out with travel last time around as well, after the Atlantic division disappeared at least.

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
If they do do go to Newfoundland, I hope that they stay in the North division. I enjoy having all the Canadian teams come into Cleveland every season.

MatthewT

Mar 29, 2008
Isn't there a massive moose problem on the rock? That makes this hilarious.

Yes which is why some people could be sensitive to naming the team the moose because of the high number of moose vehicle collisions

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Yes which is why some people could be sensitive to naming the team the moose because of the high number of moose vehicle collisions

That seems a bit silly. Were people "sensitive" to naming the new team in Carolina the Hurricanes because of all the deaths and property damage caused by said storms?

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
This is great news for Newfoundland hockey fans.

I'd like to remind all the nay-sayers, as well, that this isn't the same economy the Fog Devils were struggling with. This province has experienced considerable growth, has taken some positive steps towards marketing itself, and, as more of an observation, support for the game has become increasingly notable every year.

No doubt due to NHL'ers like Michael Ryder, Dan Cleary, Ryane Clowe, and now, Teddy Purcell, making some waves in recent post-seasons. Even if this is a "short-term fix," it gives the city of St. John's an opportunity to prove they can sustain a local franchise of some kind. I'll be doing my part as a ticket holder when I manage to return home, and I hope others do the same.

Finally, if the rumors of Mr. Williams backing the team are true, I'd feel much more confident about the project's sustainability.

As would anybody who followed the man's tenure as premier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad