Manitoba Moose moving to St. John's (upd: confirmed)

Oobz

Sep 29, 2009
Marquette, MI
Oh come on, a few car accidents involving a bunch of moose and people are going to be too sensitive with a sports team named Moose? There's actually an epidemic of people hitting moose with cars? What is this... do people not see a moose in the road? I understand accidents happen but whats happening? Are the Moose intentionally trying to kill people? Should San Jose change there team name because people have died/lost legs because of sharks? It's just an animal... one of the most ridiculous reasons I have ever heard for anything.

... just LOL :laugh:

Only in Canada... an Epidemic of Moose related car crashes. :laugh:

KingJet*

St. John's Newfoundlanders
St. John's Steamers
St. John's Fog
St. John's Moose
St. John's Boats :sarcasm:

I can see Moose making sense because thats what they were previously and they have lots there

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
Oh come on, a few car accidents involving a bunch of moose and people are going to be too sensitive with a sports team named Moose? There's actually an epidemic of people hitting moose with cars? What is this... do people not see a moose in the road? I understand accidents happen but whats happening? Are the Moose intentionally trying to kill people? Should San Jose change there team name because people have died/lost legs because of sharks? It's just an animal... one of the most ridiculous reasons I have ever heard for anything.

... just LOL :laugh:

Only in Canada... an Epidemic of Moose related car crashes. :laugh:

You laugh, but there is a reason they tell tourists to stay off the road at night. You CAN NOT see a moose standing in the road at night until you're on top of it. All you see is a reflective dot which looks like a road sign a few miles up the road, then you realize its a moose standing 15 feet in front of you and bam... no more roof on your car. The speed limit may be 100km/h, but at night you should never get close to that, if you value your life that is.

Here is the car belonging to Fabian Manning, senator in the riding of Avalon, just outside St. John's. He hit a moose the night after he was named to the senate and that is his car in the picture.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2011/06/10/nl-fabian-moose-610.html

And here is the car of a man who died: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2009/05/28/moose-fatal-528.html

In the month of July alone there are, on average, 75 moose-vehicle collisions. There were 658 such collisions in total, in 2010.

The issue is overpopulation. Moose are not native to Newfoundland, they were introduced in the early 1900s as an additional food source since agriculture never caught on (we have acidic soil, most crops just won't grow). Because they were introduced, they have no natural predators so the population grew unchecked. Since most of the island is uninhabited they have an amazing habitat which allows for a very healthy population of moose. There are several options, fencing sections of the highway where many collisions take place, issuing more hunting liscenses etc...

There is actually a class action lawsuit in the works against the provincial government and its refusal to act to solve the problem.

Regardless, I have to drive to St. John's (8 hours on the highway) in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck and say a couple of prayers, it would be appreciated.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Woo! Fitting for Newfoundlanders (and approved by a former Newfoundlander such as myself :))

Looks like the team is off to a good start season ticket wise as well....good looking out!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad