Manitoba Moose moving to St. John's (upd: confirmed)

SP

Oct 24, 2006
I'm hedging my bets here by putting the question mark in the subject.

An article in the Telegram (Newfoundland's provincial newspaper) this weekend is saying that with the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg, the Manitoba Moose are moving to St. John's. Vancouver will be looking for a new farm team, and the Moose will become Winnipeg's AHL affiliate.

The article is saying that Atlanta to Winnipeg is a "done deal" and the Moose moving to St. John's only requires the "official signing of papers." Obviously, there is still some question about whether Winnipeg actually is getting the team, but the article says that an announcement will be made Friday at 1pm regarding the new AHL franchise.

I vote for the St. John's Seamen.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Presuming I'm talking about the same St.John in New Brunswick, they already have a successful team so wouldn't they be better of to promote them to AHL and make the Manitoba Moose their replacement by moving them there? I still think that there is a possibility that they may move the Manitoba Moose to Atlanta as a sort of compensation, and to keep Hockey alive in that area.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Presuming I'm talking about the same St.John in New Brunswick, they already have a successful team so wouldn't they be better of to promote them to AHL and make the Manitoba Moose their replacement by moving them there? I still think that there is a possibility that they may move the Manitoba Moose to Atlanta as a sort of compensation, and to keep Hockey alive in that area.

It is St.John's,Newfoundland.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
That's the one I meant, got the wrong province for it.

No biggie happens alot espically to Peter Loubardious.We havnt had a tennent in 3 years and AHL perseason games sold alot here and concesus around town is they wants the AHL back.Glen Stanford has done work for the old St.John's,Maple Leafs and done a terrific job with the Hamilton Bulldogs we have some obsticles but with this group we can manage any losses.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Vancouver's farm club, located in St. John's Newfoundland? Now I ask you is it possible to get further apart? Crap a player could get traded twice while flying from one city to the other.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I suspect we'll see some franchise shuffling if the AHL returns to St. John's. A team in the Western Conference with an affiliate in Newfoundland would be a logistics nightmare.

AF1982

Jet(s) Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2009
Almanya
The Telegram has also learned the new St. John’s franchise will remain the property of Mark Chipman’s True North Sports and Entertainment for at least one year, at which time the team will be purchased by local ownership.

It’s been Williams, vice-chairman of the initial St. John’s Maple Leafs’ board of directors, and Glenn Stanford, the team’s director of operations during its 14-year run, who have worked with Chipman and True North over the past several weeks spearheading the relocation dea

Very important detail. Winnipeg is well on its way to become the "anti-Thrashers."

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Really cool if true. I can't believe St. John's and that nice arena is without a team.

Hopefully they cut them a favorable lease deal at Mile One. From what I understand, that was one of the main factors in the Fog Devils leaving.

Vancouver's farm club, located in St. John's Newfoundland? Now I ask you is it possible to get further apart? Crap a player could get traded twice while flying from one city to the other.

St. John's would be the affiliate for the new NHL team in Winnipeg. Vancouver is going to be looking for a new affiliate.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
I suspect we'll see some franchise shuffling if the AHL returns to St. John's. A team in the Western Conference with an affiliate in Newfoundland would be a logistics nightmare.

The league actually did this to the SJML in their final years which was one of the reasons for their demise.This should only last a year.

Last edited:

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005

They would be Winnipeg's farm club. Vancouver's is likely going to Chicago.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Really cool if true. I can't believe St. John's and that nice arena is without a team.

Hopefully they cut them a favorable lease deal at Mile One. From what I understand, that was one of the main factors in the Fog Devils leaving.

St. John's would be the affiliate for the new NHL team in Winnipeg. Vancouver is going to be looking for a new affiliate.

That's still a fair old trek, not as much as Vancouver but far enough.

Ozzie Bear

Apr 30, 2010
Winnipeg, MB

Heard on the Illegal Curve show on Sports Radio 1290 this morning than the AHL's (ATL) Chicago Wolves would affiliate with Vancouver for next year.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Funny how Atlanta of all teams has been scheduled for months to play a pre-season game (against Ottawa) just outside of St. John's, Newfoundland. Makes you wonder...

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Funny how Atlanta of all teams has been scheduled for months to play a pre-season game (against Ottawa) just outside of St. John's, Newfoundland. Makes you wonder...

People here were complaning about how we got Atlanta funny how this changes all of it.Have to check out that game.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
CBC is reporting that the Moose will move and will be Winnipeg's affiliate.

I guess it fits that they could go to St. John's and that the Canucks would affiliate with Chicago.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
People here were complaning about how we got Atlanta funny how this changes all of it.Have to check out that game.

For sure. Wonder if they'll play a game at Mile One now as well since a bunch of the "Atlanta" players will become regulars in St. John's.

BrianL*

Oh man, moving a franchise back to St John's has got to be considered a step back for the AHL. They should be putting AHL franchises in places like Birmingham or Albuquerque to try and grow new markets. With an arena capacity of only 6250, they will have to sell out the Mile One Centre every night to have a chance of making money. And how many players are going to want to play in Newfoundland? It rains all the time there.

:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad