Manitoba Moose 2018-19 Season - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Jets Re-Sign Shaw and Suess - Manitoba Moose

I wouldn't mind seeing a top line of Veselainen-Suess-McKenzie next year on the Moose. Shaw was a key player throughout all the injuries, he's still a guy who can play replacement level on a 4th line in the NHL.

Do Lipon and Ryan White get contracts? Nelson Nogier?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I doubt he starts there. Has to go through the process.

Assuming our 3 RFA forwards sign we have 10 under contract. I think we keep Lindholm. He looked pretty good when he got the chance but I don't think he made enough impression around the league that there will be a lot of competition to sign him. Cheap 4th line W who can play C in a pinch. That's 11. Appleton makes 12. Dano can have his old PB spot back but there will be opportunity for Vesalainen too. If he doesn't make the team out of TC he will be the first call-up.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Assuming our 3 RFA forwards sign we have 10 under contract. I think we keep Lindholm. He looked pretty good when he got the chance but I don't think he made enough impression around the league that there will be a lot of competition to sign him. Cheap 4th line W who can play C in a pinch. That's 11. Appleton makes 12. Dano can have his old PB spot back but there will be opportunity for Vesalainen too. If he doesn't make the team out of TC he will be the first call-up.

I just don't see him plodding out 8 to 10 minutes on the Jets as a 20 year old. He is going to have to make an impact on either of the special teams to get more minutes. Even if we trade Perreault, I would say the PP time goes to Roslovic. Then you have Morrissey and Niku who can play the PP as well. If we get another forward in the Trouba trade, and I think we will, there is no room. For Appleton or Suess, they are legitimate options on the PK, having had some positive experience on the Moose. I am looking for Veselainen to get 18-20 minutes on the Moose. Top PP, top PK time, like the experience Connor and Roslovic went through, before he emerges on the Jets. An injury to a top 9 forward gives him an opportunity, but I am not expecting him to come into camp with a spot. Same spot as Niku last year, prove yourself capable first.

I think if Lindholm can help keep the younger Scandinavians engaged, he is worth keeping. If he comes at $1 million, which is quite a decrease from the overpayment of Toronto, I'd bring him back. But with a lot of house money being invested into Connor and Laine, Copp getting a healthy raise, and Wheeler getting a hefty increase too, on the books, the Jets are going to have to find internal and cheap options, somewhere in the lineup.

I don't see Dano as anything more than a depth option, if he re-signs, like Logan Shaw, who is a better PKer. Lindholm at the right price might be ideal as #13, as I think the Jets will look at carrying 8 d, to bolster the depth of a pretty green, and apprenticing farm. With the option of sending down Niku, if he didn't earn a roster spot (though I expect him too)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just don't see him plodding out 8 to 10 minutes on the Jets as a 20 year old. He is going to have to make an impact on either of the special teams to get more minutes. Even if we trade Perreault, I would say the PP time goes to Roslovic. Then you have Morrissey and Niku who can play the PP as well. If we get another forward in the Trouba trade, and I think we will, there is no room. For Appleton or Suess, they are legitimate options on the PK, having had some positive experience on the Moose. I am looking for Veselainen to get 18-20 minutes on the Moose. Top PP, top PK time, like the experience Connor and Roslovic went through, before he emerges on the Jets. An injury to a top 9 forward gives him an opportunity, but I am not expecting him to come into camp with a spot. Same spot as Niku last year, prove yourself capable first.

I think if Lindholm can help keep the younger Scandinavians engaged, he is worth keeping. If he comes at $1 million, which is quite a decrease from the overpayment of Toronto, I'd bring him back. But with a lot of house money being invested into Connor and Laine, Copp getting a healthy raise, and Wheeler getting a hefty increase too, on the books, the Jets are going to have to find internal and cheap options, somewhere in the lineup.

I don't see Dano as anything more than a depth option, if he re-signs, like Logan Shaw, who is a better PKer. Lindholm at the right price might be ideal as #13, as I think the Jets will look at carrying 8 d, to bolster the depth of a pretty green, and apprenticing farm. With the option of sending down Niku, if he didn't earn a roster spot (though I expect him too)

When Connor and Roslovic came up we had crowding at wing. When Niku came up we had crowding at D. We have the opposite now.

Of course he won't come into TC with a spot. Did someone say he would? He may come out of TC with a spot though. That will be up to him. I'm not predicting he will do that, but he might.

Yes, Dano is a depth option. Jets need depth .... everywhere right now. He will sit in the PB rather than KV.

Niku will go into TC with a spot. We are going to be hard pressed to find 8 D men with warm bodies. I think Lindholm will be #12. But, as you say, he will have to accept a cut in pay.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

All I'll say is...

If we start the season with a 4th line of Dano-Lindholm-Chibisov, then something has gone horribly wrong this summer and the tank thread is putting in an early appearance. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Scrub can't even skate.

Not a good look for Drouin on that play. Looks like he gave up on the back-check. Also, Pionk made Juulsen look like a pylon. I really don't understand why so many around here seem enthusiastic to pick up Juulsen. He seems like a very mediocre option. I'll take Poolman and Pionk over him. I'd also probably take Kovacevic over him at this point. Not a fan.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not a good look for Drouin on that play. Looks like he gave up on the back-check. Also, Pionk made Juulsen look like a pylon. I really don't understand why so many around here seem enthusiastic to pick up Juulsen. He seems like a very mediocre option. I'll take Poolman and Pionk over him. I'd also probably take Kovacevic over him at this point. Not a fan.

Juulsen is just looking like a bad pick right now. I wouldn't touch him at this point. Can't even do very well in the AHL, much less the NHL.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Juulsen is just looking like a bad pick right now. I wouldn't touch him at this point. Can't even do very well in the AHL, much less the NHL.

Juulsen = Morrow = Beaulieu = Ellerby = Montoya = any other 1st rounder that's no longer worthy of their draft selection. Jets have had a few over the years that they've picked up cheaply. Juulsen should not cost any more than a mid to late round pick...not Roslovic.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Juulsen = Morrow = Beaulieu = Ellerby = Montoya = any other 1st rounder that's no longer worthy of their draft selection. Jets have had a few over the years that they've picked up cheaply. Juulsen should not cost any more than a mid to late round pick...not Roslovic.

I don't see all those =. Morrow was outperforming Juulsen at a similar stage, so were Beaulieu, Ellerby and Montoya.

I would trade Cederholm for him, or Evingson. Pasts not futures. That next 7th rd pick could always turn into something and I certainly wouldn't give up a mid rd pick for him.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Juulsen being picked up by the Jets makes sense. Chevy trading for an underperforming young d-man who had high expectations going into his draft year based on his draft position. It follows a pattern...Ellerby, Beaulieu, Morrow. Maybe the Jets can pick up Reinhart next.

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Juulsen being picked up by the Jets makes sense. Chevy trading for an underperforming young d-man who had high expectations going into his draft year based on his draft position. It follows a pattern...Ellerby, Beaulieu, Morrow. Maybe the Jets can pick up Reinhart next.
It all depends what you give up for them. Beaulieu cost a 6th round pick, and we already got value back. If the Habs trade Juulsen for a similar amount the Jets should take a look as well. Kicking the tires on former 1st round d-man in their mid 20's as cast offs is a good strategy. Just might find a diamond in the rough making it all worth it. The Oilers traded the 16th and 33rd pick for G. Reinhart, big difference.

Reactions: Mathil8

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm encouraged by the positive comments on our d prospects at development camp.

If only Samberg and Heinola would play for the Moose then they could have a really strong all-youth d corps.

Samberg - Green
Heinola - Kovacevic
Stanley - Gawanke

Reactions: mazmin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad