Managerial Thread Part V - Tottenham in Tatters

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'm satisfied right now I guess. I wanted a DoF and a manager that could potentially be open to commit themselves for longer.

I think Kane is off though. Obviously sad, but probably the right time to sell him.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I haven't seen any indications of him being off, but if Chelsea are spending 350m on Haaland then I guess City got to answer. Unfortunately if City are offering anything close to that you just got to sell (assuming Kane would want the move of course - which is more or less 100% - even if he is a Spursman).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Lol. No.

Couldn’t get Top 4 in Serie A, so not sure how that translates to “extremely likely” in PL

Roma doesn't have the fourth best roster though. Like, not even close. They finished exactly befitting the quality of their team. It is the 7th best roster in Italy IMO.

I agree Tottenham won't finish 4th next season though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Roma doesn't have the fourth best roster though. Like, not even close. They finished exactly befitting the quality of their team. It is the 7th best roster in Italy IMO.

I agree Tottenham won't finish 4th next season though.
Right he’s not exactly an overachiever.

But England is tougher than Italy and Tottenham doesn’t have the 4th best roster either; their roster is a lot closer 7th than it is 4th

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Tottenham have a top 4-6 quality roster depending on how you see ceirtain teams. Fonseca is good enough tactically to finish in the top 4. It’s probably not extremely likely but it’s quite likely, especially in a season without Europe.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Tottenham have a top 4-6 quality roster depending on how you see ceirtain teams. Fonseca is good enough tactically to finish in the top 4. It’s probably not extremely likely but it’s quite likely, especially in a season without Europe.
Not having it. Tottenham doesn’t have a better roster than any of the top five teams. If you want to say they are sixth, that’s fine but again Fonseca isn’t an overachiever either. They are closer to West Ham and Arsenal than they are to Leicester at this point

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not having it. Tottenham doesn’t have a better roster than any of the top five teams. If you want to say they are sixth, that’s fine but again Fonseca isn’t an overachiever either. They are closer to West Ham and Arsenal than they are to Leicester at this point
Arsenal are better than Leicester tho

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Like Spurs, Arsenal are also quite likely to get top 4. Second after Christmas. Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Spurs and Leicester will all be closely fighting for top 4 it looks like, but that also depends on transfers.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Like Spurs, Arsenal are also quite likely to get top 4. Second after Christmas. Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Spurs and Leicester will all be closely fighting for top 4 it looks like, but that also depends on transfers.

With Arteta? Not very likely IMO. Then he'll get sacked and they'll have a better chance in following seasons.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
With Arteta? Not very likely IMO. Then he'll get sacked and they'll have a better chance in following seasons.
I think Arteta will be sacked in like November before we go on a run. But that is just a gut feeling and maybe that’s just wishful thinking. We are second after Christmas under Arteta though. Not saying Arteta isn’t shit, and the ”since Christmas table” is skewed by almost every top team underperforming. If Arteta stays the whole season (which I don’t think he will) we probably don’t make top 4.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't think anyone except City are guaranteed top 4. Chelsea should normally do really well next year too - so it would be quite surprising if they didn't make it.

Of the teams fighting for top 4 I would argue Spurs struggled the most with obvious "holes" last year - which means it should be the team that would be the easier to improve. Not saying Mourinho's coaching was horrible (I don't think it was), but obviously something went a bit left at one point there. Replace Dier with a half decent CD and I think Spurs might have made top 4 so...

I see it being similar next season most likely. If Fonesca (assuming it will be him) can do a slightly better job than Mourinho/Mason - and the defense goes from one of the worst I have ever seen from Spurs - which includes teams with players like Vega, Scales, Atouba etc. in them, to just being average - then Spurs will be right around 4th. Might just make 4th or might end up 6-7th being in the running until the last games.

People pretend this is more predictable than it is. Every year there is another West Ham. A lot of it comes down to finding a bit of groove. Like Spurs did in 16/17, Leicester have done etc. Fonesca looks groovy :D

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Fonesca looks groovy :D

upload_2021-6-10_14-15-12.jpeg

Agreed!

Reactions: Havre

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Funny watching Tifo football's "tactics explained" on Fonseca. Basically Pochettino's 3-4-3 from around 2016. Maybe with a small adjustment as Pochettino had 2 "defensive" CMs while Fonseca seems to have one more attacking minded of the two.

Don't mind that formation at all of course - and I could see it being a decent fit for the current Spurs squad - even if ball playing CDs isn't something we got. Not that it matters who takes over - the current CDs got to go - except Rodon.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Funny watching Tifo football's "tactics explained" on Fonseca. Basically Pochettino's 3-4-3 from around 2016. Maybe with a small adjustment as Pochettino had 2 "defensive" CMs while Fonseca seems to have one more attacking minded of the two.

Don't mind that formation at all of course - and I could see it being a decent fit for the current Spurs squad - even if ball playing CDs isn't something we got. Not that it matters who takes over - the current CDs got to go - except Rodon.

That central defence needs quite the overhaul. Also would like to see a RWB/RB that starts ahead of Doherty, considering I'm 99% sure that Aurier is leaving. Anything on top of that would just be a cherry on top.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
99% certain this will be "let us see what Doherty can do with a fresh start as a wing back". And to be fair he wasn't any worse than Reguilon - even if it is clear that Reguilon has a lot more potential.

Hopefully they aren't trying to fit the manager to the squad, but only positive if the new manager naturally plays with wing backs I would argue.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Very upset Barca fired Garcia Pimienta today. I’d love to know their reason for it because I can’t think of a good one. Big mistake by Laporta and Co.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Not sure if it was posted but David Wagner will be the new Young Boys manager (Swiss champions)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad