Speculation: Management Trending in Wrong Direction?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Zuccarello not sure what to expect when he returns to New York with Wild

This article came out today regarding Zucc and his return to MSG. In it, Zucc mentions that NY was home for him and says that he has great memories, connections and love all around still. What caught my eye, though, was what he said about management. Leading up to his eventual trade, management ceased primarily all communications with him and made him feel unwanted. Said....

"Like, I'm not stupid. You have a sense of it way before it happens, but the communication could have been better. It is what it is. It's in the past, something you have to accept, like I said. It took me longer to accept than I ever thought it was going to be because you always have the mindset that you're going to stay there and it was your family, and then suddenly you're on a new team."

I realize that there needs to be a business side to hockey (and emotions need to be in check to some extent), but I've noticed that this management has been trending with similar moves. Stralman wasn't communicated with before NYR didn't re-sign him, Nash, McDonagh and Miller weren't spoken to before their trades, Hayes and Zucc weren't discussed about a move, and now we're seeing this with Kreider and his agent. Is this bad business incentive? Like why burn a bridge? For someone like Zucc to say this after giving his all for nine seasons, who took home-town discount after home-town discount to play for you, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the organization. To me that doesn't seem fair. The guy literally gave his all (nearly died) and they decide to give the silent treatment before cutting ties? What kind of high school bs is that shit? The least you can do for someone with as long a tenure that Zucc had with your team is to be honest and f***ing communicate.

Sorry to go off and take away from a special night for Zucc and the fans, but that, to me, is insulting. I hope that NYR are aware of this and could just be straight up with it. Maybe it's a tactic to keep out of the media, but I feel there can be protection towards that.

Any thoughts? Would love to hear what you think on the matter....

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Sorry man. Don't agree. You don't go discuss it with the guy and tell hom he's not in your plans. What if there is no market for him after all? What of something changes and the guy ahead of him on the depth chart has a serious injury? Now how do you double back and tell him you want him on your team? It would be like discussing guys you offered in a trade but the other side declined. How do you put it back together?

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Is that you Webster?

Every player when asked about the Rangers talks about everything being first class. Much ado about nothing.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
To me it’s as simple as - Management doesn’t owe a player a consultation before deciding to move on.

If they were interested in keeping Zucc and keeping him happy they would have done so. They clearly wanted to move on. I’m sure that is a hard thing to go through but it’s just the reality of the situation.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Sorry man. Don't agree. You don't go discuss it with the guy and tell hom he's not in your plans. What if there is no market for him after all? What of something changes and the guy ahead of him on the depth chart has a serious injury? Now how do you double back and tell him you want him on your team? It would be like discussing guys you offered in a trade but the other side declined. How do you put it back together?

When you put it like that then, yeah, that would suck. I guess it's tough no matter how you look at it. Just thought Zucc would've had a better treatment since he's played a near decade with the Rangers.

Reactions: Thordic

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Outside of the Stralman thing, which was totally different as he was a departing UFA, every single one of those guys had to know there was a good chance they'd be moved. They had to! I mean shit, we sent out a goddamn letter basically telling everyone that we were going to be shipping everyone out.

IDK what conversations were and were not had with players, but it is what it is. I wouldn't expect Gorton to approach someone at the beginning of the season and tell them we're still rebuilding, you're getting moved at the deadline. That would be stupid. For all of these guys, the writing was on the wall. I think a lot of guys go into their contract season not exactly knowing what will happen, and they probably don't have conversations about it with their team (other than to maybe extend). Otherwise, it's just part of life as an athlete. Sometimes you get traded, and you're usually not told about it by the team in any type of advance way.

I think Zucc is a sensitive guy, which is fine, but the rest is much ado about nothing.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
A lot of it is due to the fact that trade talks are always in flux until they're not. There's no point in giving a player updates about where he might go. Zucc knew he was going to be traded, but what more can he really expect? "Hey Mats, we're close on a deal with Boston... no Dallas... no Minnestoa... no it's Boston again... wait, Tampa is calling.. I will call you back."

It seems cold, but that's why the front office usually keeps some distance from the players. You need to make calculated, no bullshit decisions about real people. If you have to look them in the face, or even speak to them regularly, it makes your job all the more difficult.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
its just business

when it comes down to it, its just business.

nothing personal.

I mean, that's easy to say, you know? We all saw Lundqvist choked up last year. Most of this movement is personal to the players. They should be aware that nothing is set in stone, but it's always a culture shock when something like this happens. Business can still be business with better communication in the end.

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Is that you Webster?

Every player when asked about the Rangers talks about everything being first class. Much ado about nothing.

Hahaha, no relation to @Webster....

World class could also mean other things, too. Original six, NYC, etc. Maybe it's the inbetween players saying those things. Guys like Zucc, who's been with NYR for almost a decade, has a little more leverage on that matter, in my mind.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A lot of it is due to the fact that trade talks are always in flux until they're not. There's no point in giving a player updates about where he might go. Zucc knew he was going to be traded, but what more can he really expect? "Hey Mats, we're close on a deal with Boston... no Dallas... no Minnestoa... no it's Boston again... wait, Tampa is calling.. I will call you back."

It seems cold, but that's why the front office usually keeps some distance from the players. You need to make calculated, no bull**** decisions about real people. If you have to look them in the face, or even speak to them regularly, it makes your job all the more difficult.
Well put. And the part about the front office keeping a certain distance is very accurate. In my position in HR, I can't get too close, too friendly with people--because I'm the guy that has to do suspensions, terminations, investigations, etc. There must be some layer of professional separation in order for people to effectively do their jobs.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
To me it’s as simple as - Management doesn’t owe a player a consultation before deciding to move on.

If they were interested in keeping Zucc and keeping him happy they would have done so. They clearly wanted to move on. I’m sure that is a hard thing to go through but it’s just the reality of the situation.

I guess, but why drag on with him? He practically took two home-town discount contracts to stick around. Just never seemed fair to him. Was NYR ever really invested in him? Those are questions will probably never get answered. It makes ya think, you know?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I guess, but why drag on with him? He practically took two home-town discount contracts to stick around. Just never seemed fair to him. Was NYR ever really invested in him? Those are questions will probably never get answered. It makes ya think, you know?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Outside of the Stralman thing, which was totally different as he was a departing UFA, every single one of those guys had to know there was a good chance they'd be moved. They had to! I mean ****, we sent out a goddamn letter basically telling everyone that we were going to be shipping everyone out.

IDK what conversations were and were not had with players, but it is what it is. I wouldn't expect Gorton to approach someone at the beginning of the season and tell them we're still rebuilding, you're getting moved at the deadline. That would be stupid. For all of these guys, the writing was on the wall. I think a lot of guys go into their contract season not exactly knowing what will happen, and they probably don't have conversations about it with their team (other than to maybe extend). Otherwise, it's just part of life as an athlete. Sometimes you get traded, and you're usually not told about it by the team in any type of advance way.

I think Zucc is a sensitive guy, which is fine, but the rest is much ado about nothing.

True. Again, like I said above, I would've thought NYR had a better decency toward him in the end.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Zuccarello not sure what to expect when he returns to New York with Wild

This article came out today regarding Zucc and his return to MSG. In it, Zucc mentions that NY was home for him and says that he has great memories, connections and love all around still. What caught my eye, though, was what he said about management. Leading up to his eventual trade, management ceased primarily all communications with him and made him feel unwanted. Said....

"Like, I'm not stupid. You have a sense of it way before it happens, but the communication could have been better. It is what it is. It's in the past, something you have to accept, like I said. It took me longer to accept than I ever thought it was going to be because you always have the mindset that you're going to stay there and it was your family, and then suddenly you're on a new team."

I realize that there needs to be a business side to hockey (and emotions need to be in check to some extent), but I've noticed that this management has been trending with similar moves. Stralman wasn't communicated with before NYR didn't re-sign him, Nash, McDonagh and Miller weren't spoken to before their trades, Hayes and Zucc weren't discussed about a move, and now we're seeing this with Kreider and his agent. Is this bad business incentive? Like why burn a bridge? For someone like Zucc to say this after giving his all for nine seasons, who took home-town discount after home-town discount to play for you, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the organization. To me that doesn't seem fair. The guy literally gave his all (nearly died) and they decide to give the silent treatment before cutting ties? What kind of high school bs is that ****? The least you can do for someone with as long a tenure that Zucc had with your team is to be honest and ****ing communicate.

Sorry to go off and take away from a special night for Zucc and the fans, but that, to me, is insulting. I hope that NYR are aware of this and could just be straight up with it. Maybe it's a tactic to keep out of the media, but I feel there can be protection towards that.

Any thoughts? Would love to hear what you think on the matter....

There's no good answer to this. Communicating more openly with the players about this stuff does as much of a disservice to the players and the fans as otherwise. How so? Because agents can't keep their f***ing mouths shut. If the Rangers told players they were looking to trade them, those players would tell their agents and it would be all over the press. That doesn't do the player any good either and isn't limited to the player involved, but screws with the whole locker room. On the other hand, being up front has it's own positives and negatives. It's a tough position to be in. I don't blame the Rangers for going the route they do.

I do, however, blame Zuccarello for being a baby about it all. I love the guy, but the way he handled himself through it was frustrating to watch.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

It seems cold, but that's why the front office usually keeps some distance from the players. You need to make calculated, no bull**** decisions about real people. If you have to look them in the face, or even speak to them regularly, it makes your job all the more difficult.

Yeah, that makes sense. But also comes with the job on both fronts. Really can't get emotional, but at least there shouldn't be discrepancy for someone who lasted so long with the organization. There's got to be some respect given.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
There's no good answer to this. Communicating more openly with the players about this stuff does as much of a disservice to the players and the fans as otherwise. How so? Because agents can't keep their ****ing mouths shut. If the Rangers told players they were looking to trade them, those players would tell their agents and it would be all over the press. That doesn't do the player any good either and isn't limited to the player involved, but screws with the whole locker room. On the other hand, being up front has it's own positives and negatives. It's a tough position to be in. I don't blame the Rangers for going the route they do.

I do, however, blame Zuccarello for being a baby about it all. I love the guy, but the way he handled himself through it was frustrating to watch.

Right. Like I said in that paragraph, not sure if they do this to stay out of the media, but it's definitely something to consider.

I really don't put too much blame for Zucc or the management. Just wish the respect was given for a guy who almost died to play for you, you know?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Right. Like I said in that paragraph, not sure if they do this to stay out of the media, but it's definitely something to consider.

I really don't put too much blame for Zucc or the management. Just wish the respect was given for a guy who almost died to play for you, you know?

I'm not sure I agree that "more communication" is the mark of respect that you (or Zuccarello) seem to think it is.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm not sure I agree that "more communication" is the mark of respect that you (or Zuccarello) seem to think it is.

Idk. I just feel that something could've been discussed when it comes down to it. But we are just hearing Zucc's side of things. Gorton did say multiple times that it's incredibly tough to move a player like Zucc. There could've been something said. Idk.

Maybe I didn't think about the whole picture before posting. No good answer is a correct statement....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad