Speculation: Management Trending in Wrong Direction?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hayes must have been passing around too many Funyuns if these guys didn’t think they were getting traded.

Zuccarello knew. From the article: "But given the way the Rangers were trending, toward a rebuild, with his contract set to expire, he figured that his days in New York might be coming to a close last season. "

His issue was that they didn't communicate (something) with him.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
They brought back Nash after the trade. Girardi after a buyout. Richards was bought out and played in the alumni game and helps the team as a consultant. Drury as AGM knows first hand what its like to be the big UFA signing and not really pan out expectations wise.

I think the wound is still open since its last TDL. But once Zuke hangs up the skates he'll make public appearances for the organization.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Zuccarello knew. From the article: "But given the way the Rangers were trending, toward a rebuild, with his contract set to expire, he figured that his days in New York might be coming to a close last season. "

His issue was that they didn't communicate (something) with him.

Rangers did the same thing with Leetch. Seems like such an unnecessary problem to create.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
They brought back Nash after the trade. Girardi after a buyout. Richards was bought out and played in the alumni game and helps the team as a consultant. Drury as AGM knows first hand what its like to be the big UFA signing and not really pan out expectations wise.

I think the wound is still open since its last TDL. But once Zuke hangs up the skates he'll make public appearances for the organization.

No doubt!! Think there are connections there that can still be made. But he could just do his thing in Norway, too. Think he'd have a lot to build after hockey no matter where.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah, that makes sense. But also comes with the job on both fronts. Really can't get emotional, but at least there shouldn't be discrepancy for someone who lasted so long with the organization. There's got to be some respect given.

It's hard to weigh without knowing really what was going on in the minds of the guys involved. However, Gorton seems like the kind of guy who wants to make a clean break with this kind of thing. It certainly appears that Kreider and his camp is getting a similar treatment to what Zucc got, so while it's a bit cold-hearted, I can appreciate the consistency in it.

Ultimately I don't think it's a lack of respect. I just think it's a matter of the front office sticking to the plan and not getting too attached. It's different from the players perspective no matter what since they're the ones who will wake up one morning in a new city without their teammates or family, but I'm not really sure what can be done to mitigate that.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Well put. And the part about the front office keeping a certain distance is very accurate. In my position in HR, I can't get too close, too friendly with people--because I'm the guy that has to do suspensions, terminations, investigations, etc. There must be some layer of professional separation in order for people to effectively do their jobs.

Yeah it's a very tough position to be in. Especially with the added wrinkle of the relocation involved. "Say goodbye to your kids, you need to be on the next flight to <insert city here>." Ouch.

Reactions: nyr2k2

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I honestly don’t know how else they should’ve handled it

Informed Webster every step of the way?

Zucc knew it was coming. He was upset that it was coming, that’s fine. The article however just made it sound like sour grapes.

Be happy Mats, you’re getting paid a ton of money on a contract that you will never justify. You got the opportunity to earn that here.

The only time a team will keep a stream of conversation between them and a player before trading them is if they have some kind of trade restriction.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The mistake the Rangers made there was that they should've told him he was dealt before he found out from anyone else, which is a different issue than this.

They were both unforced errors involving lack of communication. Obviously the particulars were different. And even if they weren't, Zucc isn't Leetch.

It isn't really a problem. They are doing what is best for the organization and preemptively communicating something to Zucc creates risk. Its just business.

How? I can't say I care any more now than I did when it happened but I really don't see the risk in having a conversation with Zucc about what Zucc already reads in the newspaper every morning.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Zucc, welcome to world of corporate America.

Sounds similar to when I was laid off - communication could have been better, they sent a random HR person to tell me and my manager wasn't even present. It sucks, but many companies are horrible at relaying bad news, and sports orgs aren't exempt from that.

Leetch, on the other hand, was a situation that should have been handled more delicately, even if he didn't have an NTC. He was one of the greatest Rangers of all time, and the expectation was that he was going to be a lifelong Ranger no matter what. That trade was a total shock to both Leetch and the entire fanbase.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Zucc, welcome to world of corporate America.

Sounds similar to when I was laid off - communication could have been better, they sent a random HR person to tell me and my manager wasn't even present. It sucks, but many companies are horrible at relaying bad news, and sports orgs aren't exempt from that.

Leetch, on the other hand, was a situation that should have been handled more delicately, even if he didn't have an NTC. He was one of the greatest Rangers of all time, and the expectation was that he was going to be a lifelong Ranger no matter what. That trade was a total shock to both Leetch and the entire fanbase.

If you're laid off, does it really matter who tells you? It's going to suck anyway.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Gosh, I wish the company I worked for would have told me they plan on letting me go months in advance.

Instead those assclowns just fired me on the spot.

giphy.gif

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
It's hard to weigh without knowing really what was going on in the minds of the guys involved. However, Gorton seems like the kind of guy who wants to make a clean break with this kind of thing. It certainly appears that Kreider and his camp is getting a similar treatment to what Zucc got, so while it's a bit cold-hearted, I can appreciate the consistency in it.

Ultimately I don't think it's a lack of respect. I just think it's a matter of the front office sticking to the plan and not getting too attached. It's different from the players perspective no matter what since they're the ones who will wake up one morning in a new city without their teammates or family, but I'm not really sure what can be done to mitigate that.

Well put!!

Reactions: Trxjw

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
When you put it like that then, yeah, that would suck. I guess it's tough no matter how you look at it. Just thought Zucc would've had a better treatment since he's played a near decade with the Rangers.
In almost every instance, a team signing a guy north of 30 to a long term deal turns out poorly. So if you want the guy, you have to short change him on term and dollars. Is that the way you want a team to show you how much they care?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Rangers did the same thing with Leetch. Seems like such an unnecessary problem to create.

From memory Leetch was moved last minute at the TDL because Toronto made a good enough offer (and the Rangers didn't tell him before word got out). That's a bit different to Zucc knowing he was likely gone all season

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Zuccarello not sure what to expect when he returns to New York with Wild

This article came out today regarding Zucc and his return to MSG. In it, Zucc mentions that NY was home for him and says that he has great memories, connections and love all around still. What caught my eye, though, was what he said about management. Leading up to his eventual trade, management ceased primarily all communications with him and made him feel unwanted. Said....

"Like, I'm not stupid. You have a sense of it way before it happens, but the communication could have been better. It is what it is. It's in the past, something you have to accept, like I said. It took me longer to accept than I ever thought it was going to be because you always have the mindset that you're going to stay there and it was your family, and then suddenly you're on a new team."

I realize that there needs to be a business side to hockey (and emotions need to be in check to some extent), but I've noticed that this management has been trending with similar moves. Stralman wasn't communicated with before NYR didn't re-sign him, Nash, McDonagh and Miller weren't spoken to before their trades, Hayes and Zucc weren't discussed about a move, and now we're seeing this with Kreider and his agent. Is this bad business incentive? Like why burn a bridge? For someone like Zucc to say this after giving his all for nine seasons, who took home-town discount after home-town discount to play for you, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the organization. To me that doesn't seem fair. The guy literally gave his all (nearly died) and they decide to give the silent treatment before cutting ties? What kind of high school bs is that ****? The least you can do for someone with as long a tenure that Zucc had with your team is to be honest and ****ing communicate.

Sorry to go off and take away from a special night for Zucc and the fans, but that, to me, is insulting. I hope that NYR are aware of this and could just be straight up with it. Maybe it's a tactic to keep out of the media, but I feel there can be protection towards that.

Any thoughts? Would love to hear what you think on the matter....
If Brian Leetch can be traded without being spoken to, anyone can. It's a business with a salary cap.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
In almost every instance, a team signing a guy north of 30 to a long term deal turns out poorly. So if you want the guy, you have to short change him on term and dollars. Is that the way you want a team to show you how much they care?

Eh, I'm not even talking about his next contract. I'm just saying in regards to the treatment that has been going on within management. I realize that this was poorly thought out, but it still sucks to hear. From either perspective.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Part of a cap league is that players who may want to stay, get traded due to contracts. It’s the world Zucc and the rest live in.

Everyone loved Zucc but we couldn’t pay him what he deserved and wanted for how long he wanted / deserved

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
They were both unforced errors involving lack of communication. Obviously the particulars were different. And even if they weren't, Zucc isn't Leetch.

How? I can't say I care any more now than I did when it happened but I really don't see the risk in having a conversation with Zucc about what Zucc already reads in the newspaper every morning.

Zucc should already know. And as the time gets closer to trade Zucc and Gorton was involved in talks, there is no benefit to telling your player. It only stands to create risk to the organization. What if Zucc tells his agent he is close to being traded and his agent pulls a stunt? There are a lot of things that could go wrong.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
was this article written by Webster to discuss the non-stop disrespect? It wasn't communicated? the rangers sent a letter to the world telling them that they were going to do this, did he want a personalized memo? the rangers literally could not have been more transparent about things...

maybe they should have rick nash's kid call up and explain that its a business....

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Trending in the wrong direction?

+Panarin +Fox +Trouba +Kakko +Chytil +ADA +Kravtsov +Hajek +Lindgren +Lemieux

I'd love to see what the right direction brings us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->