Management Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

Well you said "Fire... every person Benning personally brought in as management." Chris Gear was brought in by Benning into the management team. Previously he was not part of the management team.

where did he come from? There are indications here Gillis hired him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Benning being on board with those picks doesn't mean that Canucks scouts didn't have those players as BPAs I would say Virtanen and McCann fits into the type of players the Canucks were looking for under Crawford. Did you hear Gilman talk about Virtanen?

As for Juolevi, I personally think that as a draft-eligible prospect Juolevi fits Brackett's MO. High hockey IQ, skates well, moves the puck, plays with a ton of poise. Juolevi is the type of D prospect Brackett seemingly likes.
I’m pretty sure I’ve heard Benning say The GM is greatly involved in the first round picks. (I’ve heard other GMs say that too.).

member 290103

Who cares who hired him. He was hired as a general counsel. It was Benning that "brought him into management." So by extension your post suggested you wanted him fired as well.

I've never come across an article or an insider tweet etc. that informed the fan base that Benning wanted Juolevi and overruled his scouts. Did you read that? If so where?

The "insider information" we had was that the Canucks had PLD ahead of Tkachuk and Juolevi. Botchford (RIP) came out and said that smart people working in the NHL told him that the Canucks made a wise pick. As expected some Benning haters here like to twist that around and argue that there was somehow zero support for the Juolevi pick among Canucks scouts and it was Benning overruling his scouts to make the selection.

I’ve read in several places that Benning watched Juolevi at the WJCs and was immediate taken, and that this is a major fault he has...his first impression is the only impression. Sekeres mentioned this once as the reason why he continues to acquire players that were good juniors but never really made it as pros. The vast number of major blunders from a pro scouting perspective from Benning is very alarming, in addition to the picks he has made that have been disasters. (Odd occurrence from a master talent evaluator). Thank god Linden Overruled him on the Pettersson pick.

As for Chris Gear being a major coup for Benning....a guy hired by Gillis, If that’s what you are hanging your hat on then more power to you. It’s notable that this will also come at the cost of another Gillis hire, Judd Bracket, who is most responsible for the draft wins this team has seen.

Reactions: Jyrki21

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This is the year to go all in on youth. The shortened season and the relaunch will allow fans to be forgiving.
Next year:
1. compliance buyouts for Eriksson and Beagle.
2. Don't sign Markstrom (or trade his rights before UFA season), go with Demko.
3. Rafferty and Juolevi make opening day roster. Tanev and Stecher are gone.

Cap fixed. Still competitive (but probablynot as good). Better team in 2 years.

member 290103

This is the year to go all in on youth. The shortened season and the relaunch will allow fans to be forgiving.
Next year:
1. compliance buyouts for Eriksson and Beagle.
2. Don't sign Markstrom (or trade his rights before UFA season), go with Demko.
3. Rafferty and Juolevi make opening day roster. Tanev and Stecher are gone.

Cap fixed. Still competitive (but probablynot as good). Better team in 2 years.

rafferty and Juolevi in and Tanev and Stecher gone? Sounds like a recipe for a lottery pick. Hope the team can give up their pick this year.

Reactions: tyhee and racerjoe

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I kinda wanna keep our pick this year. I have faith in the growth of Petey/Hughes/Horvat and Boeser. I think a pick this year will help us more than a pick next year.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Sure since we can never really know for sure maybe Bracket was all about Juolevi and it was Benning who was really pushing for Pettersson.
This comparison makes no sense. We know pretty much the whole timeline of the Pettersson pick and that Brackett and other scouts lobbied Benning to draft him and that he eventually was brought to agreement with that view. Here's a "source;" bear with me if you aren't familiar with these things, they're kind of newfangled. From the Province:

"To make EP happen, there were those in the organization who really had to lobby.

'There were some heated debates in our meetings after we knew we were going to be at five,' Linden said, looking back to ’17. 'The conviction those guys showed … They fought hard.'

This year was so different you wonder if Pettersson’s success had a trickle-down impact in terms of thinking up and down the organization.

'We were dead on as a group,' said Brackett, the Canucks’ chief amateur scout, on his first-round selection."

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, that article should put the whole ‘Benning was against the Petterson pick’ nonsense to bed. It won’t, but it should.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Who cares who hired him. He was hired as a general counsel. It was Benning that "brought him into management." So by extension your post suggested you wanted him fired as well.

I've never come across an article or an insider tweet etc. that informed the fan base that Benning wanted Juolevi and overruled his scouts. Did you read that? If so where?

The "insider information" we had was that the Canucks had PLD ahead of Tkachuk and Juolevi. Botchford (RIP) came out and said that smart people working in the NHL told him that the Canucks made a wise pick. As expected some Benning haters here like to twist that around and argue that there was somehow zero support for the Juolevi pick among Canucks scouts and it was Benning overruling his scouts to make the selection.
Man this is such bullshite. Management had a townhall meeting after the tdl where benning said he wants to take a d with our pick.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Man this is such bullshite. Management had a townhall meeting after the tdl where benning said he wants to take a d with our pick.

I assume you're talking about your own post. Who did the Canucks rank above Juolevi? Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, and PLD apparently. 4 forwards.

The need was on D. Did you think differently? Like Bracket said, when the BPA intersects with needs it is the best scenario.

Matthew Tkachuk had and has ugly skating. It's not unreasonable to question his ability to translate his game to the NHL much like it is reasonable to question his brother's ability to translate his game to the NHL after the college season he had.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
rafferty and Juolevi in and Tanev and Stecher gone? Sounds like a recipe for a lottery pick. Hope the team can give up their pick this year.
Exactly. But in the current environment, it could be worth it to get out of the cap problems, burn another year off of Sutter's contract (with Beagle and Eriksson gone), and go into 21/22 with ample cap space, all (or most) problematic contacts gone, and some additional higher end prospects to develop. Think of it as a setback year in an otherwise promising rebuild with Pettersen and Hughes.

member 290103

Exactly. But in the current environment, it could be worth it to get out of the cap problems, burn another year off of Sutter's contract (with Beagle and Eriksson gone), and go into 21/22 with ample cap space, all (or most) problematic contacts gone, and some additional higher end prospects to develop. Think of it as a setback year in an otherwise promising rebuild with Pettersen and Hughes.

I am ok with that as long as the team does not end up burning a year and losing a lottery pick. I would expect too that if the team drops off next year it would spell the end of Benning, which would make it all that much more worth it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What is rumoured is that Linden had to protect Brackett's veto authority in 2017, which constituted a shift in thinking from the previous year.

That protection of Brackett's veto in 2017 lends credence to Benning and/or Weisbrod wanting someone else in 2017. Meaning, if Benning wanted Pettersson, there would be no need for Linden to protect Brackett's veto power there. Which in turn does not constitute an organizational shift in thinking.

Lol. Brackett having veto powers. Where did you hear that from? Do you know what veto powers mean? If, for example, Linden sided with Brackett instead of Benning then Linden, the President of Hockey Operations at the time, made the final call.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I am ok with that as long as the team does not end up burning a year and losing a lottery pick. I would expect too that if the team drops off next year it would spell the end of Benning, which would make it all that much more worth it.
I was going to add a caveat that I wouldn't want Benning going into the 2021 offseason with ample cap space. History tells us that contracts to existing players and free agents are his weakest quality. With a lottery pick, and lots of good young talent + cap space, it would be a very good opportunity for a new GM and assistant GM.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
If you haven’t seen this you need to. Aquilini being petty af on Twitter

Make sure you click the link in the initial tweet that Aquaman is pissed about

**** this entitled trust fund baby makes it really hard to support this organisation.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If you haven’t seen this you need to. Aquilini being petty af on Twitter

Make sure you click the link in the initial tweet that Aquaman is pissed about

So Aquilini is being petty for not liking trolls who spread fake news? I don't like the guy by C'mmon.

With that said, public figures like Aquilini should never respond to stupid trolls unless you can do it well and have an army of supporters.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
So Aquilini is being petty for not liking trolls who spread fake news? I don't like the guy by C'mmon.

With that said, public figures like Aquilini should never respond to stupid trolls unless you can do it well and have an army of supporters.

It was an April fools joke on Twitter. It’s not spreading “fake news”

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why is the owner of a team engaging in any of this online? Just screams insane levels of insecurity.

Imagine how insecure Aqua is to know that it’s not real and still respond the way he did? It’s embarrassing.

He doesn’t have to like it. I’m sure there are plenty of tweets he hasn’t liked over Benning’s tenure, as Twitter has been unforgiving (and rightly so). But his reaction just means it’s working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad