Management Thread II - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Eddie Lack was a better goalie than Ryan Miller in 2015, but it turns out that he had chronic hip issues which were operated on multiple times and forced his retirement at age 30.
Every goaltender in the NHL suffers hip issues and pain throughout their career. Nice that the narrative can be rewritten though for those who wanted to give him a 5 year, 25 million dollar contract. It wasn't just the gaps that he left in the upper half of the net that you could see from the nosebleeds, but also the mental side: guy just deflated when things didn't go his way and he wasn't playing behind a solid d-corps. Some can't really evaluate goaltenders though. Just because Lack put up better numbers for one season, playing behind a d-corps he was comfortable with, rather than Miller having to learn and adapt to his 3rd d-corps in the span of half a year, doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but was incessantly used to tarnish the reputation of a great goaltender.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Poster Luc Bourdon interviewed him...and asked if he could confirm the "Miller for a 9th OA" trade....Burkes answer was 'no'.

Now your twisting words; he said he wouldn’t talk about it cause it would put his source in the organization not that he was denying the rumor. It actually confirmed the rumor more than anything.

Every goaltender in the NHL suffers hip issues and pain throughout their career. Nice that the narrative can be rewritten though for those who wanted to give him a 5 year, 25 million dollar contract. It wasn't just the gaps that he left in the upper half of the net that you could see from the nosebleeds, but also the mental side: guy just deflated when things didn't go his way and he wasn't playing behind a solid d-corps. Some can't really evaluate goaltenders though. Just because Lack put up better numbers for one season, playing behind a d-corps he was comfortable with, rather than Miller having to learn and adapt to his 3rd d-corps in the span of half a year, doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but was incessantly used to tarnish the reputation of a great goaltender.

The d core changes completely that year and find me one post that wanted to give lack a five year 25 mil contract. Don’t make crap up; it makes your trolling obvious.

Reactions: Zippgunn

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Every goaltender in the NHL suffers hip issues and pain throughout their career. Nice that the narrative can be rewritten though for those who wanted to give him a 5 year, 25 million dollar contract. It wasn't just the gaps that he left in the upper half of the net that you could see from the nosebleeds, but also the mental side: guy just deflated when things didn't go his way and he wasn't playing behind a solid d-corps. Just because Lack put up better numbers for one season, playing behind a d-corps he was comfortable with, rather than Miller having to learn and adapt to his 3rd d-corps in the span of half a year, doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but was incessantly used to tarnish a great goaltender.

Lack just retired at age 30 after 6 years of hip problems and two major surgeries. That isn't 'every goalie'.

That said, we as fans have incomplete information on many occasions and if the team was aware of his injury problems and that factored into the decision to trade him, that's totally fair.

As for Miller, he's one of the biggest busts in franchise history. Outplayed by his backups here 3 straight years (despite often getting the Potvin treatment and being started against the weaker teams to pad his stats) and his biggest contribution was getting hurt so Lack could carry the team to the 2015 playoffs. Seemed like a nice guy but was a huge mistake.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Lack just retired at age 30 after 6 years of hip problems and two major surgeries. That isn't 'every goalie'.

That said, we as fans have incomplete information on many occasions and if the team was aware of his injury problems and that factored into the decision to trade him, that's totally fair.

As for Miller, he's one of the biggest busts in franchise history. Outplayed by his backups here 3 straight years (despite often getting the Potvin treatment and being started against the weaker teams to pad his stats) and his biggest contribution was getting hurt so Lack could carry the team to the 2015 playoffs. Seemed like a nice guy but was a huge mistake.
Miller posted a 29-15-1 record in the season that you say Eddie Lack had to "drag" the team to the playoffs. What historical revisionism. Calling a goalie who averaged a .915 save percentage behind some pretty horrific d-corps a franchise worst "bust" is even worse. Not to mention the leadership burden that he took onto himself during a dark period in franchise history, as well as helping to develop Markstrom.
The d core changes completely that year and find me one post that wanted to give lack a five year 25 mil contract. Don’t make crap up; it makes your trolling obvious.
I remember reading at the time MS wanted to give Lack a 5 year, 20-25 million dollar contract extension rather than trading him for a 3rd. Up to him if he wants to own up to it. Luckily for the Lack lovers, just like the people that wanted Vilardi, they can fall back onto their own "but injuries!" excuse. Yet, if Benning tries to make that excuse... Just hypocrisies all around.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I remember reading at the time MS wanted to give Lack a 5 year, 20-25 million dollar contract extension rather than trading him for a 3rd. Up to him if he wants to own up to it. Luckily for the Lack lovers, just like the people that wanted Vilardi, they can fall back onto their own "but injuries!" excuse. Yet, if Benning tries to make that excuse... Just hypocrisies all around.

Care to provide us with the banned alias you were posting under in 2015 so we can all laugh at your projections from the time?

Also there is a difference between a player developing poorly who then gets hurt and one developing well who then gets hurt. If Tyler Madden has his career derailed by an injury tomorrow - still a good pick. Juolevi flopping for two years and then getting hurt - bad pick. Vilardi was utterly dominant and the best player in the CHL in the only stretch of games he's played since being drafted. The fact that his career might be over due to back problems that nobody could have foreseen doesn't mean that what was said at the time was wrong.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

But you believe a team offered the 9th overall pick for Miller no?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But you believe a team offered the 9th overall pick for Miller no?

I believe there is a very good chance that there was some sort of larger deal discussed (including Bieksa) where those assets were in play. I don't think it was a 1-for-1.

Benning clearly had a deal offered to him that was substantial based on his reaction at the fan summit, and SJ had to be that team based on goalie needs.

But I'm also not getting into this again as it's a complete waste of a discussion on all sides.

Reactions: vanuck and timw33

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Now your twisting words; he said he wouldn’t talk about it cause it would put his source in the organization not that he was denying the rumor. It actually confirmed the rumor more than anything.
He was asked if he could confirm the rumour...he said 'no'....(he said a bunch of stuff after that ,along the lines of he couldn't give up his sources)...If he can't confirm the rumour, that pretty much means it dead in the water (as it always was..no other member of the media touched it with a bargepole).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Are you saying Benning has done a bad job or Benning has done a good job?

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I'm surprised you guys are responding to one of our regular idiots who has made yet another account to come and "influence" people to like Jim Benning.

That's a pathetic ownership group right there.
Picture of Benning for an avatar, literally calling him a wizard as their name, posting pictures gloating about Benning winning the cup over Vancouver, changing history as to make the GM look better ala fake quotes and stats, dumping on everyone and anyone associated with the franchise if it makes the GM simply look better - what else can be done to show the GM more support/fandom than the actual team that employs him. It's quite obvious that for some bizarre reason people's support for him supersedes their support for the Canucks.

Someone make some Benning jerseys, no logo needed. At least 5 or 6 will fly right off the shelf.

I simply think they just like attention and this is a way to get it.

Reactions: vanuck and geebaan

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
[MOD]

Like, does he not realize that this Iraqi Information Minister schtick and having someone this pathetically arguing for Benning actually makes Benning look worse, not better?
It honestly bothers me as much as seeing the team being ruined. I mean, this is how you spend the money we give you? We pay to watch games, buy merch, traffic the discussion sites generating ad revenue...and you want to use it tell us to shut up? That we're idiots who shouldn't be entitled to have our say at a neutral online forum? It's exactly the kind of wrongheadedness that's sunk the team since Gillis was fired. Don't take the hard route, go for the easy short cut. Don't insist on professionalism, get bogged down in pettiness. Don't be honest and open with the fans; lie, obfuscate, gaslight and fight propaganda wars.

No, don't spend money on a pro scout who will go to games and do some serious objective analysis on potential trade or FA targets, jut rely on Benning's gut and spend the money on online trolls if anyone complains.

Such a truly shit state of affairs.

*edit* And it's of course that Ryan Miller* guy again. He just can't resist going after you as soon as he registers a new account. He's probably got printouts of your posting history stapled to his bedroom wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
Do we really think the Canucks are spending money on a fake HF account to pump up Benning? And they've named their fake account after a much-maligned poster who got banned for being too pro-Benning? Yeah, I dunno... Seems like there's some holes in this plot.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

Are you going to pull up the quote/post or retract your baseless claim?

Also are you writing off that everyone in that draft is going to be worse than Pete already?

Cause that’s what your doing saying that about valardi

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: geebaan and vanuck

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Do we really think the Canucks are spending money on a fake HF account to pump up Benning? And they've named their fake account after a much-maligned poster who got banned for being too pro-Benning? Yeah, I dunno... Seems like there's some holes in this plot.
If they're not being paid to do it... then it's probably some fanatical relative or some such.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Cost/benefit. It's cheap. Online trolls come cheap. Do you dispute the same people have consistently come back over and over again?

Please tell us why they would do this.

*edit* Even as I type this, I see posts vanishing before my eyes. I've got the Ryan Miller* account ignored, so his latest attempt disappeared.

So tell us, Dana. Why is this guy coming back over and over and over again?

Reactions: geebaan

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
Cost/benefit. It's cheap. Online trolls come cheap. Do you dispute the same people have consistently come back over and over again?

Please tell us why they would do this.

*edit* Even as I type this, I see posts vanishing before my eyes. I've got the Ryan Miller* account ignored, so his latest attempt disappeared.

So tell us, Dana. Why is this guy coming back over and over and over again?
I won't speak of any specific posters, but the behaviour you describe could be the result of ego, oddness, standard-issue trolling, stubbornness, loneliness, who knows? Lots of answers come to mind that, to me, make more sense than a Benning-funded campaign. Wouldn't a professional online PR operation pick a different name for the fake account, given the history of that name on this board?

Reactions: Jay Cee and Nomobo

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I won't speak of any specific posters, but the behaviour you describe could be the result of ego, oddness, standard-issue trolling, stubbornness, loneliness, who knows? Lots of answers come to mind that, to me, make more sense than a Benning-funded campaign. Wouldn't a professional online PR operation pick a different name for the fake account, given the history of that name on this board?
Well, a professional online PR operation...is pretty much this, isn't it? Ryan Miller* has faithfully picked different names all the many, many times he's come back, hasn't he?

I mean, just the way you phrase that..."professional online PR campaign". It assumes you're applying some standard of professionalism to what we're seeing. Did Trump need that to get elected? And that's the highest level that exists. Was that professional? Oh ffs, Trump is basically wetting himself on camera at the G7. There's your professional. That's how easy it is.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I think it's disgruntled family or friends. I don't think the regime could run a concerted attack a la Cambridge Analytica. Yes, Trump did... but that was Steve Bannon pulling those strings... this regime doesn't have a Bannon equivalent. It's modern warfare, and nothing about this regime is modern.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think it's disgruntled family or friends. I don't think the regime could run a concerted attack a la Cambridge Analytica. Yes, Trump did... but that was Steve Bannon pulling those strings... this regime doesn't have a Bannon equivalent. It's modern warfare, and nothing about this regime is modern.
Agreed. I think it’s some in/close to Management or ownership that is very emotional about what is being said about the team on here.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
He's gotta be an Oilers fan or something, just trolling.

Legitimately don't think the Canucks organization is cognizant enough of their online discourse to hire someone for this sole purpose. And if they are, the shtick is as good at trolling as Jim Benning is as a manager. Dude gets caught within days every single time. That's an awful astroturfing initiative.

Similarly, it can't be a family member or friend, because the messaging isn't passionate or personal enough. The appeal is against the Canucks pre-Benning, not the arguments of Benning being a good guy etc.

Reactions: Hit the post

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
He's gotta be an Oilers fan or something, just trolling.

Legitimately don't think the Canucks organization is cognizant enough of their online discourse to hire someone for this sole purpose. And if they are, the shtick is as good at trolling as Jim Benning is as a manager. Dude gets caught within days every single time. That's an awful astroturfing initiative.

Similarly, it can't be a family member or friend, because the messaging isn't passionate or personal enough. The appeal is against the Canucks pre-Benning, not the arguments of Benning being a good guy etc.

The best we can all do is not respond and just report his posts. I have found our mods pretty good at catching him the last few times. Did he even make it to 20 posts this time?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Agreed. I think it’s some in/close to Management or ownership that is very emotional about what is being said about the team on here.

No it isn't :laugh:

You're all just getting memed on and have been for like 2 or 3 years now. I respect the effort and consistency put into it even if it derails my conversations, but you're all just getting f***ed with.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
The unfairly maligned Ryan Miller helped guide the Canucks through a very difficult time with his leadership skills and ability. I'll never forget him standing up for a rookie Troy Stecher. He eased some of the leadership burden off the Sedins, and greatly helped developed Markstrom, as he said so himself. He kept the Canucks respectably competitive at a time when they could have easily gone Oilers or Sabres-level in terms of having zero team culture. Honestly, he suffered all the slings and arrows for 3 years from the couch-critics then went and shut us out in his first game against us. Threw it right back in our faces, and I loved it.
Pretty much agree. Miller was the consummate professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad