Management Thread II - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

He's gotta be an Oilers fan or something, just trolling.

Legitimately don't think the Canucks organization is cognizant enough of their online discourse to hire someone for this sole purpose. And if they are, the shtick is as good at trolling as Jim Benning is as a manager. Dude gets caught within days every single time. That's an awful astroturfing initiative.

Similarly, it can't be a family member or friend, because the messaging isn't passionate or personal enough. The appeal is against the Canucks pre-Benning, not the arguments of Benning being a good guy etc.

I do believe there are hired PR posters here, but I also believe none would be stupid enough to be unable to avoid bans like this.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I won't speak of any specific posters, but the behaviour you describe could be the result of ego, oddness, standard-issue trolling, stubbornness, loneliness, who knows? Lots of answers come to mind that, to me, make more sense than a Benning-funded campaign. Wouldn't a professional online PR operation pick a different name for the fake account, given the history of that name on this board?

Yeah. The suggestion he is a team paid troll is really along the lines of birther conspiracy theories. Way down the list on most likely explanation.

Reactions: vancityluongo

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Similarly, it can't be a family member or friend, because the messaging isn't passionate or personal enough. The appeal is against the Canucks pre-Benning, not the arguments of Benning being a good guy etc.

The serially banned poster has specifically said that Benning "is a nice man". I'd love to find the post it was in, but I don't think it still exists, lol. I think @MS could probably verify it, because I think it was him who replied (something like) it's irrelevant how nice or not Benning is... but Benning does seem nice.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
If the team was paying social media guys they would be a hell of a lot smarter. What is the sense of paying someone to come in here to spam arguments for a few hours and then get banned yet again for the millionth time?

It completely defeats the purpose of a social media presence. You are there to persuade people, or at the very least not turn more people off than agree with your opinion.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The serially banned poster has specifically said that Benning "is a nice man". I'd love to find the post it was in, but I don't think it still exists, lol. I think @MS could probably verify it, because I think it was him who replied (something like) it's irrelevant how nice or not Benning is... but Benning does seem nice.
You guys know I defended the Benning era for a long time. There comes a point though when even a diehard (hopeful and blind) supporter like myself accepts the reality that is truth. We are in a hopeless spot right now, and we could be so much further ahead if not for Benning and his unacceptable re (whatever) philosophy. We should have had lots more picks, and not been trading away prospects and picks over these Benning years. Damn it!
I know I’m rambling here, but I’m so frustrated as a fan! How can any fan, with their eyes truly open, accept this? Uggh.

Reactions: PM and SillyRabbit

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I won't speak of any specific posters, but the behaviour you describe could be the result of ego, oddness, standard-issue trolling, stubbornness, loneliness, who knows? Lots of answers come to mind that, to me, make more sense than a Benning-funded campaign. Wouldn't a professional online PR operation pick a different name for the fake account, given the history of that name on this board?
He’s not repeatedly choosing the same name, he is choosing different names but he is using the same IP address and HF’s system keeps finding this out and he keeps getting banned. Once he gets banned, everyone can see that it was the same person who’s original username on his very first account was Ryan Miller.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I disagree. Why would they need to prove that Benning is a good guy? Most people here either agree that he seems like a good enough guy or don’t care anyways.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
He’s not repeatedly choosing the same name, he is choosing different names but he is using the same IP address and HF’s system keeps finding this out and he keeps getting banned. Once he gets banned, everyone can see that it was the same person who’s original username on his very first account was Ryan Miller.
Ah, got it. But the point stands. Paid trolls would do better than this.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Peddling some conspiracy that the pro-Benning posters on here are a part of some paid PR scheme is a pretty huge low for this board, tbh

I think it was just one, whos making mutiple accounts....over and over and over. But I digress...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Peddling some conspiracy that the pro-Benning posters on here are a part of some paid PR scheme is a pretty huge low for this board, tbh

Only the obvious ones.

Not that I think the Canucks give two ****s about HF, but even entertaining the idea that they needed to hire actual people to shill for them is already just sad in of itself. Because IMO it only serves to highlight how indefensible Benning's track record is here.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Only the obvious ones.

Not that I think the Canucks give two ****s about HF, but even entertaining the idea that they needed to hire actual people to shill for them is already just sad in of itself. Because IMO it only serves to highlight how indefensible Benning's track record is here.
"vancityluongo" had it right, it's likely an Oilers troll (or some other team troll) with nothing better to do.

Reactions: vanuck

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh ffs people. This isn't hard stuff here. It's as simple as it gets. Aquaman wants more favourable coverage of the team. This is known. He's just using the easiest, cheapest way to do it. It's not some vast conspiracy, it's just: "Hey, new lowly intern in the media department. How'd you like to spread the good word about how great the team's going to be? We'd *wink wink, nudge nudge" really like it if there were more positive stories on twitter and/or social media about the Canucks. Know what I mean?" That's all it is. This is the post-Trump time we're living in here. All you have to do is repeat things on social media over and over for them to take root. They don't have to be true, don't have to be logical, don't have to provide any proof. Just have to be repeated. Is there anyone on this board who can't think of some bullshit spreading on social media just by virtue of it being repeated? Happens all the time.

I'd buy that it's just one or two people, but the timing's been too predictable too many times to be coincidence. It's just one more way in which Aquaman learned the wrong lessons from 2011. How many negative stories and narratives surrounded the team then? What was the effect? Am I the only one who remembers Eliot Friedman saying "Whenever I say something bad about the Canucks my phone rings." live on air during a broadcast? Who here thinks it's a coincidence CDC bans you for being critical of management on their forum? Just how it is now.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Search Results for Query: nice | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

Doesn't look like it from this search, but you could be right. Also tried the word "kind", and while nothing referring to Benning came up, this absolute gem did:

Ryan Miller* said:
Why did the Bruins beat the Canucks? It wasn't the lame excuses constantly bandied around here about injuries, or the refs, or Luongo, or the Sedins. It was culture. When something bad happened to the Bruins (the Rome hit), they rallied in Boston in a legendary way, obliterating and embarrassing their opponent through an emotional style of game buoyed by culture leaders like Recchi, Chara and Thomas. Guys like Rich Peverley and Andrew Ference played the best hockey of their careers for a reason. Total buy-in: the dream state of an NHL squad. Watch Behind the B to learn about winning; Bruins' training camps in those years were religious experiences. The levels of accountability and competitiveness broke all scientific measuring instruments.

Who was one of the architects of this NHL team that ascended to a cultural phenomenon? Jim Benning, Director of Player Personnel and then Assistant General Manager. The day the Canucks signed Benning, the statue outside Rogers Arena should have already been begun to be constructed, for it will need to be a big one.

To follow Benning's genius-saturated first few years in Vancouver though requires a careful analysis. Benning knew the Vancouver market had no real experience of a true winner, a Stanley Cup champion. Moreover, certain segments of the NHL fan market were going through the largely media-orchestrated fad of analytics, a fad from which he extracted its most valuable elements, but ultimately saw through (the failures of the "analytic" GM's would bear out his prognostications). If Benning tried to tell the Vancouver fans how he would build this champion, through a patient and methodical approach, really from the ground up off the scorched cultural earth left by the previous management, he knew they would rebel like petulant children being forced to eat their vegetables.

For this reason, the words Benning spoke to the fans aren't the best way to observe Benning's genius, for they are words spoken to losers from a winner, his name etched forever in the silvery glow of Lord Stanley's holy chalice.

I could pour for hours over the individual acts of genius of Benning's reign, thankfully earning him an extension from even the most impatient of owners, likely due to a winner in business recognizing a winner in hockey management. Yet, on this sort of forum, these acts of genius are unable to be recognized until the final moment of awe. However, I do think the most foundational act of cultural genius of Benning is visible today even to those who have never experienced the enlightenment of winning: his identification of the most valuable element of the Canucks, the Sedins.

Atop years and years of losing, the Sedins stand out as true winners, even if Mike Gillis stole away in the night a championship from their legacy through protecting them with Victor Oreskovich who now works at Sunlife Financial. Benning thus immediately identified with them, and realized the trajectory of the club should follow the personal trajectory of these two cultural superstars. I guess I have to spell this out: Benning gave the Sedins everything that would allow them to close out their careers in the incredible style they did. He gave them one last tour of the playoffs by miraculously assembling a playoff squad out of a stale core, through astute signings and trades. He brought in desperately needed young talent who would soak in like sponges the lessons from the Sedins. After almost a decade of draft futility, he revolutionized Vancouver's drafting so much that against all expectations, he drafted worthy successors to the Sedins in Boeser and Pettersson, enabling them to retire while knowing that they left the franchise in a better state than they came into it.

Thus, a legendary cultural moment was steadily crystallized over 4 years, whose effects will become more and more pronounced in the coming years. What analytics don't capture is the emotional side of the game, where motivation is perhaps the most valuable resource. Teams struggle with motivation every year: the motivation to win, to be a champion slowly disintegrates through all the bells and whistles of an 82-game schedule, and then the longer playoff run. That is what makes Sidney Crosby such a special player alongside his talent, his unstoppable motivation to be a champion which led to something unheard of in the modern era of hockey: back to back holy chalices. This is what makes players like Ryan O'Reilly lose the love of the game, when their motivation to win becomes confused by management who hasn't built a proper cultural foundation for their squad. Or consider the incredible motivation guiding the Vegas Golden Knights, with their season beginning under tragic circumstances: they still continue to find incredible motivation to win for their city and its loss, making their motley collection of players an unstoppable force. For the cultural foundation anchors that motivation to win. Some teams get lucky and acquire a player whose transcendental presence can anchor a cultural foundation largely by themselves, though of course additional cultural rebar always needs to be laid down.

The cultural foundation that Jim Benning architected through his glorification of the Sedins will stand for years, and the young talents he's added to this organization will sprout upon this foundation. As many around the league are saying, something special is going on in Vancouver. Sadly, this kind of longue durée of managerial excellence will never be properly recognized in an age of talking about hockey that instead grossly over-invests in such measures as shot attempts, asset management, AHL farm-team management, or silver-tongued self-representations of managerial genius from loser GM's. Sadly, the only way this market will ever be able to properly talk about hockey will be after the final moment of awe, Benning's final transmission: the Stanley Cup. Until then, enjoy our meaningless squabbles, while the architect labours!​

That's gotta be satirical / trolling, and actually quite good if it really is just trolling. I wish I could passionately defend Kevin Lowe or Jay Feaster with that much vigor.

But the other reason I question that it's Benning's family/friends is that I've talked to a few people who personally know him (he grew up in Edmonton) - and they all have the same comments. Jim is the nicest man and is so passionate about the game. Comes from a tremendous family of honest, hard working, salt of the earth people. Things like that. This is probably getting too personal so I won't delve further, but no one would talk about him the way people typically do about (competent) business leaders and/or politicians.

No one comments on his aptitude, leadership, communication, intellect or even his ability to build a team. It's just how he works very hard (which I don't think any of us would discredit) and that he really loves the team and the players and the fans and wants to build a winner (also fully believe this).

I don't think his family is out here, delving through the thousands of pages of posts on this forum, trying to defend his reputation either on their own will or pressured by anyone else. And even if they were, they wouldn't be using phrases like "cultural genius" "legendary cultural moment" or "making their motley collection of players an unstoppable force" with multiple accounts that get consistently banned.​

Reactions: PM and I in the Eye

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Thanks for this! And thanks for showing me how to search (didn't realize could search per poster!)...

I could swear that exchange was with this poster... But maybe it was with someone else...

Edit: Just tried to search for it with him, other Benning fans, and for any MS interactions. Found nothing. Only thing I can think of is if it happened with a post that was deleted? Or, maybe I'm going crazy...

Last edited:

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Ah, got it. But the point stands. Paid trolls would do better than this.

I dont think the organization is implicitly involved in paid trolling. Usually it works something like this: A media company has some sort of social media service it peddles, then this media company outsources to others. Then the social media company will deliver some semi related metrics to whoever is in charge of this sort of thing in the organization. Eg: shutdown 12 twitter accounts postings defamatory stories about the Canucks, engaged in 43 peer to peer discussions correcting erroneous and negative information being spread about the Canucks...

Having said that I think that Ryan Miller character is just a troll, who is enjoying this in his perverted way.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
yeah, we totally live in a world where melnyk and colangelo didn't have burner accounts to promote themselves and the organization under their watch.

Reactions: Pavel96

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I am totally on board in saying that it is possible the team has social media guys who are going around the internet and even promoting pro management and pro ownership arguments.

It's just not the biggest troll on hfboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->