Management Thread | Edge of the day AFTER Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Who cares that Button had him at 43rd or whatever it was...?.(his top 12 rankings of that year are comedy) .The top ten in that 2014 draft is full of disappointments , and Jake is a middle six NHL player..You cant hit home runs all the time...The overall 2014 draft was a good one for the Canucks, but .carry on...
200-3.gif

Reactions: sting101

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If people look at the top 10 picks every year. On average there is at least 3 bust a year ( my definition not a top 4 D, top 6 forward or number 1 goalie )

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The 2017 draft was all over the place. A handful of different players ranked at the Canucks spot. 2016 EVERY ranking had Tkachuk higher.

True but that doesn't change the fact that most rankings had Glass and Valardi ahead of Petey. Also it doesn't change the fact 99% of ranking didnt have Petey in the top 5. Look back at the Petey forum, a large percentage od people wasn't happy with the Petey pick.

One argument you're saying Juolevi wasn't the obvious pick so we shouldn't of drafted him. Petey wasn't the obviously pick as well since 99% of the rankings didnt have him in the top 5 That means we shouldn't of drafted Petey base on your argument.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
True but that doesn't change the fact that most rankings had Glass and Valardi ahead of Petey. Also it doesn't change the fact 99% of ranking didnt have Petey in the top 5. Look back at the Petey forum, a large percentage od people wasn't happy with the Petey pick.

One argument you're saying Juolevi wasn't the obvious pick so we shouldn't of drafted him. Petey wasn't the obviously pick as well since 99% of the rankings didnt have him in the top 5 That means we shouldn't of drafted Petey base on your argument.

My argument is there was no consensus pick in 2017 like there was in 2016.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Juolevi and Tkachuk played on the same damn team. Like, that’s a of a bit different situation.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
My argument is there was no consensus pick in 2017 like there was in 2016.

It doesn't matter

You were saying Tkachuk was consensus pick so we should of drafted Tkachuk and not Juolevi.

2017? Yes you're right there are no clear consensus pick however most reports had 2 to 3 players ahead of Petey in a lot of rankings so that means you should think Petey was the wrong pick base on he wasn't one of the few obvious picks at the number 5 spot.

Sorry, your argument doesn't make any sense

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It doesn't matter

You were saying Tkachuk was consensus pick so we should of drafted Tkachuk and not Juolevi.

Yes.

2017? Yes you're right there are no clear consensus pick however most reports had 2 to 3 players ahead of Petey in a lot of rankings so that means you should think Petey was the wrong pick base on he wasn't one of the few obvious picks at the number 5 spot.

No.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
It's been said many times: If you're going to go against the consensus, you'd better be right.

Juolevi over Tkatchuk was against consensus, and was clearly wrong. Looks real bad.
Pettersson over Glass was against consensus, and was right. Looks great!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This isn't hard to grasp. Some 2017 lists had Pettersson higher, some had Glass, some had Vilardi etc.

In 2016 every single list had Tkachuk higher.
From my count Vlardi was higher than EP in 10 out of 12 of the rankings (83%) clearly we should have selected him..

The top 5 consensus
picks are littered with Bennetts,Dal Colles, Puljijarvi's

If EP had been a disappointment....You, and a few others here would be the first ones, carping on about he wasn't the 'consensus pick.'

You cant have it both ways.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Jake Virtanen a middle six player?

Are we talking about the same one who played on the fourth line and would have been benched for Leivo or Ferland if healthy?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I mean no GM is perefect obviously they all make mistakes, and most GMs do a lotta good moves. Benning made a lotta good moves like the Miller trade worked out, drafting Pettersson and Boeser and Hughes, the Horvat contract, Pearson for Gudbad, but Benning really really sinking a lotta chances for this team with years of awful contracts to players who epicly FAILED to to contribute even CLOSE to their contract: Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Baertchi, maybe on Myers and Roussell is debateable

Really sucks that we have to decide on the Toffoli Marky Tanev situation well Eriksson Sutter and Beagle make up MORE than that difference and then some

I guess the excuse for the Eriksson and Sutter disasters was they were early in his GM job but the Beagle one and even the Gagner one still is a real lo blo right now. Really hurts that we will lose one or more of Toffoli Marky and Tanev because of that

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
From my count Vlardi was higher than EP in 10 out of 12 of the rankings (83%) clearly we should have selected him..

The top 5 consensus
picks are littered with Bennetts,Dal Colles, Puljijarvi's

If EP had been a disappointment....You, and a few others here would be the first ones, carping on about he wasn't the 'consensus pick.'

You cant have it both ways.

Looking at Vilardi specifically, it’s clear some teams had information on his health injuries that dropped him to the kings... where he has been injured mostly so far in his young career.

Reactions: geebaan

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I’m just excited to finally have an off-season where Benning can get creative with the league wide cap crunch and no Linden to overrule him. We will soon see which Calgary Flame is on our team next year; Jankowski, Hamonic, Gustafsson? Stay tuned to find out

Reactions: David71

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Benning didn't negotiate when he traded for Miller.

No

The report was Benning met Tampa GM demand. But some people likes to translate that into he didn't negotiate. There phone call conversation is not online so nobody knows exactly what was said. Just because you met someone demand, it doesn't mean you didn't negotiate.

For example Tampa could of said. I want a 1st or a 3rd, Benning come back with a 2nd and 3rd. Tampa said No, Benning offers two 2nd, Tampa said No, Benning now met Tampa demand. So he still could negotiate

Also the conditions for the 1st round pick. If Benning didn't negotiate, the 1st round pick condition would favor Tampa a lot more.

Nice try

Reactions: sting101

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
No

The report was Benning met Tampa GM demand. But some people likes to translate that into he didn't negotiate. There phone call conversation is not online so nobody knows exactly what was said. Just because you met someone demand, it doesn't mean you didn't negotiate.

For example Tampa could of said. I want a 1st or a 3rd, Benning come back with a 2nd and 3rd. Tampa said No, Benning offers two 2nd, Tampa said No, Benning now met Tampa demand. So he still could negotiate

Also the conditions for the 1st round pick. If Benning didn't negotiate, the 1st round pick condition would favor Tampa a lot more.

Nice try
The Gudbranson trade was poor value.

Sorry, are we not mindlessly repeating inaccurate or ancient grievances with management? I saw the Juolevi stuff and got excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad