Management Thread: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
The main reason is because they were competing for a playoff spot until the end of the Sedin contract..In 2017 the Canucks had 9 picks which was the most they had in quite a few years.

They added a 6th no different than this year. They got a free extra 2nd because of a coaching signing else where. I'm not giving management credit for that.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Jim Benning...anything good he does..is a fluke, somebody else's doing, or the completely frikken obvious...Am I right?:rolleyes:...Forrest Gump.

Yet when Gillis got Ehrhoff due to a salary dump, and Dan Hamhuis fell in his lap because he wanted to play in his home province..Its utter genius..Has to be?..

Mike Gillis: Presidents Trophy, cup final game 7, playoffs in 5 of 6 years

Jim Benning: Meaningful games in March, Compete is our nature

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Even your first example ...Brackett had already been in the organization 5 years previous to to being DOS,what did he accomplish?...who implemented the system of recognizing amateur talent that Judd abided by, starting in 2014? (you duck this question every time)
Didn’t I just write one thing Benning did that was good was putting Bracket in charge of scouting and the draft? I added hiring Clarke as goalie coach was good too.
That’s 2 good things Benning has done.
What else has Benning done that’s good?

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
This season could not have gone any worse for the organization. The fact that Benning is still in charge is frightening.
  • Regression of our superstar young defenseman
  • Regression of and long term, mysterious injury to our franchise C
  • A start to the season that seemed like mutiny or team giving up.
  • Toffoli is 8th in NHL in goals
  • Whole team getting COVID
    • Appears management/ownership not standing up for the players
    • Unknown long term impact to health
  • Still this team is no where close to 1st overall (unknown being the whole team getting COVID and now having to play 19 in 31 days) - mediocrity
Only positive I can think of is Demko looking like a true #1.

Reactions: Jovofan and Jyrki21

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I'm not anti acquiring picks...I'm just questioning if they are really as groundbreaking /imperitive as hitting on your top picks, or in some cases ..pure luck, by winning the lottery (Matthews,MCD, Crosby).

I don't think it's "groundbreaking" either. It is also unlikely they make up for missing top 10 picks unless you get one of the few players a draft that were drafted after the first round that become elite. Although if you continually miss top 10 picks, I doubt you will be able to draft well outside the first round. It's like if someone who continually misses free throws being able to continually able to hit halfcourt shots.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don't think it's "groundbreaking" either. It is also unlikely they make up for missing top 10 picks unless you get one of the few players a draft that were drafted after the first round that become elite. Although if you continually miss top 10 picks, I doubt you will be able to draft well outside the first round. It's like if someone who continually misses free throws being able to continually able to hit halfcourt shots.
Tampa has been a pretty bad drafting team in the first round but they still get value out of them. And then find and develop key players found later in drafts. And then continue drafting and acquiring picks. All while competing. Let’s do that.

Reactions: Mr4legs and m9

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Tampa has been a pretty bad drafting team in the first round but they still get value out of them. And then find and develop key players found later in drafts. And then continue drafting and acquiring picks. All while competing. Let’s do that.

True. Carolina is another team as well. To make up for failing on 1st round picks you need good management that are good in other areas, and pick elite talent in later rounds. Carolina got Aho and Slavin. While Tampa got Kucherov, Point, and Cirelli.

My point still stands in general. Detroit pre Stevie and Buffalo couldn't draft with their first round picks. That continued in the Later rounds.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They should rest Edler the rest of the season since the results are meaningless and use Rathbone.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Edler getting his 100th career goal might be literally the only fun thing that happens in the rest of this season.
I've had this thought for the last month or two but I'm really curious if Rathbone just may be a better option than Hughes when you factor in what you'll have to pay him and their current defensive abilities. Maybe that downgrade in talent is outweighed by Rathbone's defense and what you'd have to pay him.

Hughes probably fetches some monumental package from an American team. Really marketable player.

But this management would never consider it and will not even think of that possibility.

I'm not saying Rathbone will be better but I just want to see.

I don't really have any interest in watching the games this season and I probably won't unless DiPietro/Rathbone/Podkolzin play. Just so disconnected from this current roster and management group now.

Reactions: m9 and Jack Burton

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Only positive I can think of is Demko looking like a true #1.

Hoglander probably a top-5 rookie in the league-- as a D+2 2nd-rounder, that is very rare.

Boeser playing at a high level, regaining his shooting to go along with his improved overall game.

Management's blunders notwithstanding, the future isn't that bleak. The one thing that has gone reasonably well is drafting and that is the single most important part of a rebuild for a declining franchise with a barren prospect pool. If only they'd bothered to do a proper rebuild and manage the cap properly in addition... but, such has not been the case. It's a maybe/maybe-not situation going forward, and replacement of the GM with someone more competent on the pro side would improve the future outlook.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Trading Hughes is this year's trading Boeser. The guy is 21 and has the 3rd highest PPG among all active Dmen. in the NHL. We should pump the brakes on any idea of trading this player.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Hoglander probably a top-5 rookie in the league-- as a D+2 2nd-rounder, that is very rare.

Boeser playing at a high level, regaining his shooting to go along with his improved overall game.

Management's blunders notwithstanding, the future isn't that bleak. The one thing that has gone reasonably well is drafting and that is the single most important part of a rebuild for a declining franchise with a barren prospect pool. If only they'd bothered to do a proper rebuild and manage the cap properly in addition... but, such has not been the case. It's a maybe/maybe-not situation going forward, and replacement of the GM with someone more competent on the pro side would improve the future outlook.
Hoglander a top 5 rookie is a really big stretch. He’s not a top 10 scorer by points or points per game or top 10 in goals or assists.

He’s been a solid contributor to be sure.

Boeser playing well was expected.

Management sucks and looks to be here to stay.

Every team has draft picks coming. This core isn’t particularly young or competitive.

Rudderless ship taking it day to day. I’ve never felt worse about the teams future.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The fact that Tortellini won't spring for a good coach but is paying max dollars on a roster is insane.

Guess he needs that dough to finish his $75 million house in LA.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Take a good look at the age of the blueline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad