Management Thread: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
First let me apologize for not bringing in the last few posts to continue on with the discussion. I'm not very computer savvy but will learn for next time :nod:

So, Benning on resigning Pearson...

Are you f*cking stupid or something?

Just classic Benning being unable to recognize his cap situation, what the league is doing and where the market is heading.

With the ED coming up, covid taking out mass revenue, every team in the league is going to be restructuring their rosters and players like Pearson will be plentiful and be had for cheap.

You do not under any circumstances try and extend a bottom 6 player who is already making 3.75 mil per. Pearson and his agent will expect a raise with term and that is just straight up insanity given where the market is heading.

You absolutely let Pearson hit the UFA market and circle back when no other team will offer him more than 2-2.5 mil per. with little term.

Benning just makes me wanna :facepalm:
with his short-sightedness and stupidity!

Last edited:

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
First let me apologize for not bringing in the last few posts to continue on with the discussion. I'm not very computer savvy but will learn for next time :nod:

So, Benning on resigning Pearson...

Are you f*cking stupid or something?

Just classic Benning being unable to recognize his cap situation, what the league is doing and where the market is heading.

With the ED coming up, covid taking out mass revenue, every team in the league is going to be restructuring their rosters and players like Pearson will be plentiful and be had for cheap.

You do not under any circumstances try and extend a bottom 6 player who is already making 3.75 mil per. Pearson and his agent will expect a raise with term and that is just straight up insanity given where the market is heading.

You absolutely let Pearson hit the UFA market and circle back when no other team will offer him more than 2-2.5 mil per. with little term.

Benning just makes me wanna :facepalm:
with his short-sightedness and stupidity!

I would not be surprised if he offers Pearson the Toffoli contract. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Jack Burton

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Benning prioritizing signing a bottom-6 forward who has been awful for over a year to an overpayment contract before he knows what Hughes/Pettersson/Demko will be getting and how much money he'll have to improve his blueline.

This imbecile has not learned a thing in 7 years.

And it's incredible he's being allowed to negotiate any sort of contracts at all.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
Benning prioritizing signing a bottom-6 forward who has been awful for over a year to an overpayment contract before he knows what Hughes/Pettersson/Demko will be getting and how much money he'll have to improve his blueline.

I agree with your opinion in full; however, I heard rumblings (Sat? Dhaliwal?) that the Demko discussions are further along than Pearson. Only makes it a smidgen less comical.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The most troubling part of all of this is that it seems like Benning is being given some opportunities now to sign these contracts after a bit of a freeze. Maybe it means nothing, but it could also mean they are planning ahead with Benning.

Demko contract will be interesting. I'm actually fine with a 1yr deal to gain some more information on him and then if things are going well again next year you lock him into that long 5 or 6 year deal.

I said in the previous thread that the absolute limit for Pearson should be 2x2.5 and I'll stick with that. I could tolerate that deal and anything more would be a mistake. That said, my preference would be to trade the player in the next two weeks and then move on from him. I don't really care what value you get in return, just take the best picks only deal available.

Reactions: MarkMM and F A N

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Pearson is barely worth 2m at that.
Signing him for anything more would be a disaster
Yea 2 years 2 million per has to be the limit. I can’t see why Pearson would accept that from a team with an internal cap as messy as the canucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
We also need to hold Benning accountable for when he screws up this deadline too. The Canucks are in a very advantageous position as a Canadian seller. They can sell players to Canadian and American teams, but their players are more valuable to the Canadian teams as they wouldn't require the mandatory quarantine time.

There is zero legitimate excuse to not trade away Alex Edler and Tanner Pearson. And I'm of the belief that they can probably get a pick for Sutter too (there were rumours recently that Edmonton would trade a 4th round pick for him).

And I'm talking draft picks. No more of this mediocre prospect bullshit. Draft picks.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Not in touch with the market. That is why he isn't doing media interviews. Even the nicest media questions reveal how confused they are in the front office.
At least last time he hinted that Gear is in charge of contracts now.

IMO this rumor of Pearson negotiations is his attempt to increase value of a rental trade. Again it demonstrates how he over values his own players.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The most troubling part of all of this is that it seems like Benning is being given some opportunities now to sign these contracts after a bit of a freeze. Maybe it means nothing, but it could also mean they are planning ahead with Benning.

Demko contract will be interesting. I'm actually fine with a 1yr deal to gain some more information on him and then if things are going well again next year you lock him into that long 5 or 6 year deal.

I said in the previous thread that the absolute limit for Pearson should be 2x2.5 and I'll stick with that. I could tolerate that deal and anything more would be a mistake. That said, my preference would be to trade the player in the next two weeks and then move on from him. I don't really care what value you get in return, just take the best picks only deal available.

If Demko is given a one year deal, he will still be an RFA at the end of it right? While that makes sense there doesn't seem to be much precedent for it. I worry that would be taken as an insult. I think if the Canucks aren't sure they might be better off giving him a 3 year deal (which is what they did with Markstrom). Demko will be 28 at the end of it. There are so many ways to go about it though and I think anything other than a 2 or 7+ year deal is acceptable.

As for Pearson, I don't think 2 x $2.5M will get it done. That's a deal he signs after exploring the UFA market and not before. Benning seems to habitually procrastinate when it comes to letting go of his aging but still productive players. I just hope Pearson doesn't walk for nothing.

Reactions: sting101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We also need to hold Benning accountable for when he screws up this deadline too. The Canucks are in a very advantageous position as a Canadian seller. They can sell players to Canadian and American teams, but their players are more valuable to the Canadian teams as they wouldn't require the mandatory quarantine time.

There is zero legitimate excuse to not trade away Alex Edler and Tanner Pearson. And I'm of the belief that they can probably get a pick for Sutter too (there were rumours recently that Edmonton would trade a 4th round pick for him).

And I'm talking draft picks. No more of this mediocre prospect bullshit. Draft picks.

Generally agree, but the fact that Alex Edler has shown absolutely zero interest in waiving his NTC and has refused in the past when asked is probably a legitimate excuse if he doesn't get moved.

Pearson and Sutter should be fired out of a cannon straight into the sun.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
As for Pearson, I don't think 2 x $2.5M will get it done. That's a deal he signs after exploring the UFA market and not before. Benning seems to habitually procrastinate when it comes to letting go of his aging but still productive players. I just hope Pearson doesn't walk for nothing.
At Pearson's age you have to wonder how much he will add to a competitive team at 31 yrs old and how much of the flat cap he will eat up.
His point totals have been declining. Maybe at 1.5 mil a season but he still is taking up a roster spot.
There will be many players available around the Seattle expansion, players that team don't really want to give up on, pretty much more than enough to upgrade 6 or 7 players on this team. Not that they could get them all but judicial use of draft picks could get one or two as long as they aren't using the first two draft picks.
Maybe a 1rst for a Sergachev or Chychurn.
Honestly I haven't researched team's protected lists but Tampa is in huge trouble

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

100% agree, but when has Benning moved coming UFAs for draft capital? I remember him getting Dahlen and Goldobin. I fully expect, if there is a guy moved, the return will be playing in Europe within two season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
100% agree, but when has Benning moved coming UFAs for draft capital? I remember him getting Dahlen and Goldobin. I fully expect, if there is a guy moved, the return will be playing in Europe within two season.

I don't have a problem with trading for prospects or existing players, but Jim Benning is a stupid man who cannot evaluate hockey players and will just get suckered by teams trying to get rid of their garbage.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If Demko is given a one year deal, he will still be an RFA at the end of it right? While that makes sense there doesn't seem to be much precedent for it. I worry that would be taken as an insult. I think if the Canucks aren't sure they might be better off giving him a 3 year deal (which is what they did with Markstrom). Demko will be 28 at the end of it. There are so many ways to go about it though and I think anything other than a 2 or 7+ year deal is acceptable.

Yeah, still an RFA on a one-year deal. I don't see why it would be an insult - Demko will be the starter over a full season and really have a chance to establish himself as an elite goalie. He would be betting on himself.

If 2x2.5 doesn't get it done for Pearson you have to walk. You cannot possible pay this player in the 3+ range or for a length of 3+ years. I don't even want him signed for 2x2.5, but I figure it's a fair number if both sides want to continue the relationship.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The fact that Benning gets to negotiate an extension for a 3rd liner shows how committed the ownership group is to him. He will probably last 10 f***ing years and beyond at this rate. The only way he doesn't is if ownership sells or Benning is caught saying something inappropriate.

We saw competent third and fourth liners sign for as little as 700k this past off-season. Why the f*** are we even entertaining signing this guy in the 2mil range. His play has dropped off a cliff and is at best a 30pt player with top 6 minutes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The fact that Benning gets to negotiate an extension for a 3rd liner shows how committed the ownership group is to him. He will probably last 10 f***ing years and beyond at this rate. The only way he doesn't is if ownership sells or Benning is caught saying something inappropriate.

We saw competent third and fourth liners sign for as little as 700k this past off-season. Why the f*** are we even entertaining signing this guy in the 2mil range. His play has dropped off a cliff and is at best a 30pt player with top 6 minutes.

As an example, a guy like Arturi Lehkonen who is a younger faster better player than Pearson is probably not getting qualified by Montreal this summer and will be signing somewhere for $1.5 million.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Generally agree, but the fact that Alex Edler has shown absolutely zero interest in waiving his NTC and has refused in the past when asked is probably a legitimate excuse if he doesn't get moved.

Pearson and Sutter should be fired out of a cannon straight into the sun.

I'm relying on what Satiar Shah was saying the other day about Edler being more willing to waive this year than he was in the past, if asked early enough. I assume that process would likely need to be started around right now though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm relying on what Satiar Shah was saying the other day about Edler being more willing to waive this year than he was in the past, if asked early enough. I assume that process would likely need to be started around right now though.

It's hard to say what 'more willing' means though. If he's only willing to waive for one or two places and those places have no interest or cap space ... it isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad