Speculation: Management changes expected to occur swiftly after season ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
:laugh:

Because right now they are in a good way?

What did Nonis win in Vancouver?

It isn't like Nonis has an impressive Resume.

So rather than having someone with many years of experience and relationships around the NHL, you would rather turn over the reigns to someone with 0 NHL experience in such a pivotal and important time in the franchise?? You certainly are no masochist. Nonis has been involved in big acquisitions and has already put out feelers as to what the Leafs want to change moving forward. Sure why not take out the experienced NHL GM who has done plenty of leg work to hand it over to a green horn. Briliant.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Maybe interim GM Shanahan but run as a group with Dubas and Hunter till they find the right GM?

Don't like Dubas?

Yes, but what kind of experience does Shanahan bring? Not a fan of Dumbass one bit. Meet him twice in the Sault several years ago while doing business, was very curt and arrogant to several people in completely difference situations and circumstances, and his media experiences here in Toronto certainly mirror that.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
So rather than having someone with many years of experience and relationships around the NHL, you would rather turn over the reigns to someone with 0 NHL experience in such a pivotal and important time in the franchise?? You certainly are no masochist. Nonis has been involved in big acquisitions and has already put out feelers as to what the Leafs want to change moving forward. Sure why not take out the experienced NHL GM who has done plenty of leg work to hand it over to a green horn. Briliant.

If that means no more Clarkson acquisitions then I'd be fine with that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

4th. worst team in the league by that experienced GM says all you need to know.

You to leave the future of the franchise in Nonis' hands?

Ah, tanker?

That explains it.

Years of experience doesn't make you good, it just makes you experienced. Results are how that experience is measured.

Tell me about Nonis results in Toronto?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Leafs fans and media have ridiculous expectations of general managers. Although there are obviously reasonable individuals among the crowd, the collective effect of our complaining is ludicrous. We simultaneously demand a patient rebuild and instant success. We expect every trade to be a win and every signing to be a home run, and we demand that we should never let a successful prospect slide past our slot in the draft.

This is true :laugh: but i really have to think this isn't a Leaf fan thing, it's a fan thing. I know this isn't you, but sometimes it drives nuts that people make this into a "Well Leafs things are silly." :)

As soon as any of those things go wrong (or appear to) people begin demanding for the GM to be fired.

Although fans claim to be patient, there is a definite correlation between losses on the ice and extreme vocal unhappiness with management. You could argue that season has been notable for sensible decisions with a view to rebuilding (in fact I would argue that). But still fans and media are insistent on calling the season a disaster.

I would counter because most of the aspects on the ice had nothing to do with the rebuild. Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Phaneuf, Lupul, [Kadri], for the most part are still there. I put Kadri in quotes because I'm not sure what they're going to do. this team's goals were to make the playoffs. it did not.

the Leafs did what most people generally do (and we generally do not), trade assets.
I would say people were vocal and angry because the team appeared. to simply take their ball, and go home and disappeared for months.

Fans and media claim to be okay with a rebuild, but only a fantasy rebuild that looks like a kid re-shaping his roster on a video game.

Our misses and failures are compared to other teams' successes- a sure way to make any management team appear incompetent.**

Not necessarily. Now, I don't listen to anything but TSN, and only listen to certain hockey clips on Sportsnet. Almost every single media guy there (or guest) has stated that this rebuild for it to take properly (and that's assuming everything goes well, and it's sports/life, so it won't) - 5 years (so 1.5 ELC cycle). a tonne of people have even stated that most of the Marlies should spend as much time in the AH as they can before they move up (ala Tampa)

There are always going to be stupid people, (I saw your example, he doesn't exist in my world), and impatient fans. that's our right. We can do whatever we want basically. It's management's job to ignore all of that and do what is best for the organization.

Pat Gillick was with the Blue Jays starting in 1978 and became GM in 1984. He didn't win a World Series until 1992, and experienced some spectacular failures en route. I am on the verge of giving up hope that the Leafs could ever display such patience.

Should we fire our GM? Honestly it's hard to think amidst all the noise we as a fan base create. But I don't see the point in firing a respected hockey person who has only been on the job for a little over two years. As far as I'm conceded we have already made major management changes

The point would be if you look at Nonis's entire track record as a general manager it is not a very good one. I read an essay basically breaking down almost ever move he's done in both Vancouver and Toronto and it really made me open my eyes to a lot of the matter.

I honestly feel, as well, that a lot of people rightly or wrongly can't close this book on the era if he's still around in some capacity. I don't think it's a fantasy world, but I think you need a fresh slate (which is why I think Shanahan didn't rush in getting a new GM). because whoever sticks needs to be able to stay here for an incredibly long time. (10 year programme, i kept saying)

I would prefer we stick with a management team and let them learn on the job. Let them make some mistakes. Display actual patience. Give them ten years or more to put this thing together. But if we decide to keep Nonis, I honestly wonder if I will be the only poster on these boards who approves. :laugh:

Nonis was also the guy who firmly believed in his core and thought they were capable of doing right things, and making moves to support it. I understand that no GM is perfect (heck. Lombardi made a huge mistake last season). I'm not asking for perfection, but I think even with 10 years to him, Nonis is not the best guy. (again: see Vancouver).

If we fire him then people will be temporarily (very temporarily) satisfied. But make no mistake, the same silly game will begin again quickly. As soon as the new GM is hired there will already be a significant portion of posters who "know" that he was the wrong choice. As soon as a trade is made, or a player signed, or the draft happens that group will get louder. If we lose a lot of games near the start of the season, the screaming will get louder still.

Again -that's not a "Leaf fan thing" that's a "fan thing."
and - to couch that , I feel if Shanahan (and new GM) pretty much do the same thing as Davidson and Jarmo do to their STC's and say "we can't promise you much right now, but we can promise you this team will work hard, and try to do their very best." most of Leafs nation will be mollified with that. I know i would,

There are few guarantees in professional sports, but I'm confident that one year into his tenure the new GM will be widely hated around here. He will viewed as an incompetent buffoon. Fans will secretly (and sometimes not so secretly) believe they could do better than him. They will not see this as a ludicrous belief.

Only exception is if we suddenly become a winning team next season. Such things have happened before. This GM will be seen a slightly more competent, although in truth he will simply be building on the work of Nonis and Burke.

Again - i think it would depend on how everything would be presented in April [Monday] by Shanahan and September when he gives his opening State of the Union speech. There are some impatient people in the world, and again, in sports, it seems to bring out the worst. Again - I say whatever. If people, not in charge want to hate people for a lack of a years work, or oodles of/lack of experience, etc, and make stupid claims -whatever. all that does its make them look dumb and ignorant.

And. that's their right as the fan. they can be impatient, upset, irrational as much as they want - and. that's not a Leafs fan thing :laugh: to repeat myself. I always feel like i have to beat this drum. that's fans. Maybe it's louder because Leafs Nation is bigger and more wide spread, or theres more media coverage about it, but again - almost every fan base has out of expectation desires about their team, every fan base wants to €have the NHL15 season (or bust a move).

Failing that on-ice success, get ready to play the same game next season.

The revolving door keeps spinning.

The gentlemen who run MLSE continue to be blown by every wind. They'll always download the blame to the latest short term GM.

and that's Shanahan's job to once he has his people in place to stick to it regardless of what the outside noise says.

I love the Leafs, but I'm getting very tired of this circus after 30+ years as a rabid fan. Running a hockey team is not simple, but I think one thing is simple. Hire a management team and let them run the show. Let them take chances and make mistakes. Ignore the screeching media and screeching fans- we're basically idiots (not as individuals, but collectively). Plus we keep buying tickets and watching games anyway.

My only demand of management? Take a patient approach making heavy use of drafting developing, and don't be so foolish as to give up on players too quickly. Our current management appears to have bought into this thinking, so awesome. I vote for a team of Shanahan/Nonis/HUnter/Dubas.

I'm probably alone in this view, but there you go. :laugh:

That ends my rant for the day. I highly doubt anyone read this far into, but if you do, you're amazing! :nod:

Again - I don't think Nonis is the best job, once you break down all of his moves, (not just the Leafs one), as a general manager. He has some incredible skillsets that would be useful, but to be in charge, I am not sure about that. And again, I personally don't think you can start "anew" and change almost every facet of ideology in the organization, and keep around a person who was fundamentally rowing the other way

I think - ideally - the right GM needs to know when to turn, and when to go straight (because you don't ever have the chance to go back). there are some GMs their patterns show they are very stead-fast and don't maneuver well at all. Nonis to me, seems like that kind of guy. I don't demand perfection, because perfection is something in fairy tales.

but I do think that Nonis needs to be removed. But i wouldn't be carrying on like a banshee if he was not - mostly due to the fact it would be that Shanahan doesn't have a person he wants that is worth a 2nd round draft pick.

:) and i know i am awesome. i totally read long posts, because i figure there's a reason why they are long

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well Shanahan hands are not completely clean either, same goes for Dubas(analytics helped us?)

They along with Nonis were all part of a Management group that was worse than Burke's Management group in 09-10 when Leafs finished 29th.

This team under this Mgt group under Shanahan accumulated 68 points. A franchise team worst since OT was introduced. So changes need to occur.

If Blake and Burke are indeed coming on. This will be a start. Along with a new coach and coaching staff.

Also let's once and for all get rid of Belza's bikes. Said this was a problem years ago. Now some are finally agreeing when they first disagreed with me. Kessel was gassed at mid season. Unbelievable.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just need to wait for Doug Wilson to be fired from San Jose and then hire him :)

Fire our pro scouts - They are awful

Amateur scouting - So unsure as Morrison was clearly influenced by Burke and Nonis - picking size over skill and then with Nonis going for "safe" players.

I just feel like we haven't really hit a home run since Kaberle.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Yes, but what kind of experience does Shanahan bring? Not a fan of Dumbass one bit. Meet him twice in the Sault several years ago while doing business, was very curt and arrogant to several people in completely difference situations and circumstances, and his media experiences here in Toronto certainly mirror that.

While there's no reason for anyone to be curt and arrogant that doesn't mean the person is stupid or incompetent. Scotty Bowman for example is not the warmest, friendliest guy. Myself, I'm a little leery of people who are a little too good at the social interaction stuff. I always wonder whether it's the social stuff that they're good at, not the intellectual stuff.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Leafs fans and media have ridiculous expectations of general managers. Although there are obviously reasonable individuals among the crowd, the collective effect of our complaining is ludicrous. We simultaneously demand a patient rebuild and instant success. We expect every trade to be a win and every signing to be a home run, and we demand that we should never let a successful prospect slide past our slot in the draft.

As soon as any of those things go wrong (or appear to) people begin demanding for the GM to be fired.

Although fans claim to be patient, there is a definite correlation between losses on the ice and extreme vocal unhappiness with management. You could argue that season has been notable for sensible decisions with a view to rebuilding (in fact I would argue that). But still fans and media are insistent on calling the season a disaster.

Fans and media claim to be okay with a rebuild, but only a fantasy rebuild that looks like a kid re-shaping his roster on a video game.

Our misses and failures are compared to other teams' successes- a sure way to make any management team appear incompetent.**

Pat Gillick was with the Blue Jays starting in 1978 and became GM in 1984. He didn't win a World Series until 1992, and experienced some spectacular failures en route. I am on the verge of giving up hope that the Leafs could ever display such patience.

Should we fire our GM? Honestly it's hard to think amidst all the noise we as a fan base create. But I don't see the point in firing a respected hockey person who has only been on the job for a little over two years. As far as I'm conceded we have already made major management changes

I would prefer we stick with a management team and let them learn on the job. Let them make some mistakes. Display actual patience. Give them ten years or more to put this thing together. But if we decide to keep Nonis, I honestly wonder if I will be the only poster on these boards who approves. :laugh:

If we fire him then people will be temporarily (very temporarily) satisfied. But make no mistake, the same silly game will begin again quickly. As soon as the new GM is hired there will already be a significant portion of posters who "know" that he was the wrong choice. As soon as a trade is made, or a player signed, or the draft happens that group will get louder. If we lose a lot of games near the start of the season, the screaming will get louder still.

There are few guarantees in professional sports, but I'm confident that one year into his tenure the new GM will be widely hated around here. He will viewed as an incompetent buffoon. Fans will secretly (and sometimes not so secretly) believe they could do better than him. They will not see this as a ludicrous belief.

Only exception is if we suddenly become a winning team next season. Such things have happened before. This GM will be seen a slightly more competent, although in truth he will simply be building on the work of Nonis and Burke.

Failing that on-ice success, get ready to play the same game next season.

The revolving door keeps spinning.

The gentlemen who run MLSE continue to be blown by every wind. They'll always download the blame to the latest short term GM.

I love the Leafs, but I'm getting very tired of this circus after 30+ years as a rabid fan. Running a hockey team is not simple, but I think one thing is simple. Hire a management team and let them run the show. Let them take chances and make mistakes. Ignore the screeching media and screeching fans- we're basically idiots (not as individuals, but collectively). Plus we keep buying tickets and watching games anyway.

My only demand of management? Take a patient approach making heavy use of drafting developing, and don't be so foolish as to give up on players too quickly. Our current management appears to have bought into this thinking, so awesome. I vote for a team of Shanahan/Nonis/HUnter/Dubas.

I'm probably alone in this view, but there you go. :laugh:

That ends my rant for the day. I highly doubt anyone read this far into, but if you do, you're amazing! :nod:

** For an example of this see Glenn Healy's crackpot draft analysis during last night's game when he shows how the Canadiens' selected Brendan Gallagher right after we selected Sam Carrick and Daniel Brodin. But these boards and the media are littered with such "analysis", carefully selecting details to make the Leafs look bad.

Awesome post - and bang on! :handclap:

From what I've seen, Shanny is not an idiot, but rather careful and calculating. What I can honestly see happen is that they run with Nonis, Hunter, Dubas & Pirdham - with Shanny driving the bus for the foreseeable future - perhaps adding some pieces to that core such as Burke or Blake.

IN TIME, when Shanny is sure the team is on the right path, and a clear "guy" becomes available / emerges who can lead this team for a decade or more (ala Holland), then Nonis will be politely re-assigned until he finds another gig, and the new guy will take over.

There is a transition period changing the boss - He won't do that right before the draft.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd be supportive of a management team that consisted of:

Brendan Shanahan - President
Cliff Fletcher - Senior Advisor to the President
Rob Blake - General Manager
Kyle Dubas - Assistant General Manager & Advanced Stats Analyst.
Sean Burke - Assistant General Manager & Goalie Coach.
Brandon Pridham - Assistant to the General Manager as Capologist.
Mark Hunter - Director, Amateur Scouting, and Player Development
Joe Neuwendyk - Director, Professional Scouting
Gary Roberts - Director of Player Development & Fitness Trainer

Coaching Staff - TBD as most coaches are still employed presently.

#DeBurkenize begins.

Mine was similar to this, except I had Mark Hunter as GM (before I knew he wouldn't become that) and Rob Blake as player development and AGM. Though putting him as the director of scouting works too. Joe Neuwendyk is good for professional scouting (I had Nonis, but I couldn't think of anyone else there and I though Nonis as a GM would still be okay).

Now that I know Mark Hunter isn't going to be GM, and that Neuwendyk and Sean Burke are possibilities, I think mine changes:

Head Coach: Peter Horachek -------> Dale Hunter
Assistant Coach: Steve Spott
Assistant Coach: Steve Staios -------> Sheldon Keefe
Assistant Coach: Chris Dennis -------> Paul MacLean
GM: Dave Nonis -------> Rob Blake
Assistant GM: Kyle Dubas
Assistant GM: Vacant --------> Sean Burke
Team Manager: Dave Griffiths
President: Brendan Shanahan
Goalie Coach: Rick St. Croix ----------> Sean Burke
Conditioning Coach: Anthony Belza --------> Gary Roberts
Director of NA Scouting: Dave Morrison --------> Mark Hunter
Director of Europe Scouting: Vacant --------> Thommie Bergman
Director of Player Development: Jim Hughes -------> Rob Blake
Coordinator of Player Development: Vacant ------> Bobby Carpenter
Coordinator of Player Development: Vacant ------> Kim Gellant
Adviser of Player Development: Vacant ------> Steve Staios
Adviser of Player Development: Vacant ------> Patrice Brisebois
Director of Player Personnel: Mark Hunter -------> Brendan Shanahan
Director of Professional Scouting: Steve Kaspar ------> Joe Neuwendyk
Video Coach: Adam Jancelewicz
Video Coach: Mark Phalon
Video Coach Adviser: Vacant -------> Chris Dennis
Senior Adviser: Cliff Fletcher
Sr. VP of Hockey Operations: Dave Nonis -------> Rob Blake

Scouts
Pro Scout: Mike Penny*
Pro Scout: Dallas Eakins
Pro Scout: Chris Dennis
Pro Scout: Warren Rychel
OHL Scout: Steve Warner
OHL Scout: David Burstyn
OHL Scout: Steve Staios
OHL Scout: Basil McRae
WHL Scout: Dan Lambert
WHL Scout: Randy Hansch
WHL Scout: Garth Malarchuk*
WHL Scout: Kim Gellant
QMJHL Scout: Darryl Young
QMJHL Scout: Cam Russell
QMJHL Scout: Patrice Brisebois
QMJHL Scout: Phillipe Boucher
USA Scout: John Madden
USA Scout: Gary Harker*
USA Scout: Bobby Carpenter
USA Scout: Brian Sommariva**
Head Scandinavian Scout: Janne Kekalainen
Secondary Scandinavian Scout: Jari Gronstrand*
Head Eastern European Scout: Vojtech Kucera
Secondary Eastern European Scout: Nikolai Ladygin *
Head Western European Scout: Peter Ihnacek*

*Returning Scouts
** Moved from OHL Scouting to USA Scouting

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just need to wait for Doug Wilson to be fired from San Jose and then hire him :)

Fire our pro scouts - They are awful

Amateur scouting - So unsure as Morrison was clearly influenced by Burke and Nonis - picking size over skill and then with Nonis going for "safe" players.

I just feel like we haven't really hit a home run since Kaberle.

Pro scouts did land us our 2 most consistent and best players this year. Santorelli and Winnik. I don't think this is the problem. I don't know if scouting is the problem

Development and Drafting, as in making the right call would seem to be. For instance had Hunter been here is 2011 and 2013. I would doubt we would have picked the 3 first rounders we picked. We need someone to change the chemistry of whomever is making these mistakes. Scouts suggest, they do not make the picks.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

From what I've seen, Shanny is not an idiot, but rather careful and calculating. What I can honestly see happen is that they run with Nonis, Hunter, Dubas & Pirdham - with Shanny driving the bus for the foreseeable future - perhaps adding some pieces to that core such as Burke or Blake.

IN TIME, when Shanny is sure the team is on the right path, and a clear "guy" becomes available / emerges who can lead this team for a decade or more (ala Holland), then Nonis will be politely re-assigned until he finds another gig, and the new guy will take over.

There is a transition period changing the boss - He won't do that right before the draft.

I would think at this point, they have discussed dealing off the assets that have shown the same type of results year after year.

We aren't talking about a bad year, we're talking about a continuously bad period of several years.

Leafs are supposed to have an elite scorer, a #1 defender, and a #1 goalie, but they are continuously choking as soon as the pressure is applied.

These results are from the Nonis/Burke regime. It is all the Burke/Nonis regime, and it is abundantly clear to every opened eyed individual that it is a failure.

We aren't talking a quick rebuild, this is what 7 years post JFj.

7 years to build the 4th. worst team in the league.

7 years to build the 4th. worst team in the league.

Does changing the font and colour make it any better?

Might as well argue Gord Stellick should be in charge.

There are 26 teams out there whose management did a better job.

Leafs fans deserver the 27th. best management?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Gary Roberts isn't the only person who can train hockey players and get them in better shape.

I mean really.

And Neuwendyk!? Been there, Done that.

Rufio65*

Maybe interim GM Shanahan but run as a group with Dubas and Hunter till they find the right GM?

Don't like Dubas?

Hiring Dubas was an egregious move. He isn't experienced, was a mediocre OHL GM, and clearly has a pretty big ego. He did nothing in the OHL to warrant a promotion to the NHL.

Hunter is in a good role IMO.

Rufio65*

Careful and calculating means attempting to trade Franson for Josh Gorges? Offering Bolland a huge extension? Firing Carlyle to promote an ECHL coach?

That's not careful and calculated.. It's incompetence.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How is Sean Burke an experienced exec? He's a damn goalie coach :laugh:

Rob Blake has 1 year more of NHL managerial experience on Hunter/Dubas. :laugh: Mark Hunter has more hockey managerial experience than Blake and Burke do combined.

(Realized I forgot to quote the post, but this is to the poster that quoted me saying that Dubas/Hunter are too inexperienced and clearly Shanahan agrees since he is going after two experienced guys like Blake and Burke)

According to Cox, it won't be Hunter or Dubas that replaces Nonis, which is actually a good thing. And we may indeed go with an experienced guy, however, to say the current management group, minus Nonis, have "no experience" is simply inaccurate.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hiring Dubas was an egregious move. He isn't experienced, was a mediocre OHL GM, and clearly has a pretty big ego. He did nothing in the OHL to warrant a promotion to the NHL.

Hunter is in a good role IMO.

I agree, Dubas will have his little niche in Leafs Management in years to come, probably the 4th voice on the Management team. But I expect we are going to get 2 bigger voices to this Mgt team added soon. Hunter is going to be our Rick Dudley. He will have a big voice no doubt. It will be these 3 men that go fwd that shapes the Leafs while Shanahan does his Ken Dryden.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
While there's no reason for anyone to be curt and arrogant that doesn't mean the person is stupid or incompetent. Scotty Bowman for example is not the warmest, friendliest guy. Myself, I'm a little leery of people who are a little too good at the social interaction stuff. I always wonder whether it's the social stuff that they're good at, not the intellectual stuff.

When and where did I say Dumbass was stupid or incompetent? I have no doubt he is an intelligent young man, and have never said otherwise.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Shanahan is Dryden.

Sean Burke, Rob Blake and Mark Hunter are the 3 guys shaping this team for the future.

We may still need an operational GM for transactions and contracts. Does Nonis stay? Or do we just hire an experienced hockey guy that can handle this. Nieuwendyk could for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad