Speculation: Management changes expected to occur swiftly after season ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger · 25m 25 minutes ago
Expect Leafs personnel changes to be made swiftly. No specifics, but dragging the process out isn't likely.

Excited who we see leave and who replaces. My guess is Nonis.

They should wait until the summer so they can take their time finding a new coach to replace Horachek (HOPEFULLY Babcock)

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Expect Leafs personnel changes to be made swiftly. No specifics, but dragging the process out isn't likely.

They should wait until the summer so they can take their time finding a new coach to replace Horachek (HOPEFULLY Babcock)

I think we'll see dismissals and/or re-assignments quickly, but I'm not sure we'll see replacements brought in right away.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

Not much doubt Nonis is gone by Monday night. Let's get this going now.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
They probably should be made rather quickly. After all the implosion of this team lasted half the season and the first half wasn't all that good anyways.

More than enough time to make some decisions.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

My guess is coaching staff.
New coach will pick his own.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's going to be a happy day, when Nonis is fired. Dreger is probably not too happy about it - he's going to miss his cousin feeding him info.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Only firings though within the first week.

Head coach gone. Steve Spott stays within the organization in some capacity. Staois goes back to a player development role.

Nonis fired.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Nonis is definitely gone. Aside from him, probably announcing Horachek won't be back either. Staois back to player development and Spott very likely stays for the time being.

Would they really release Dave Morrison so close to the draft? That would be very questionable.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Wouldn't be surprised if we actually retained Nonis and kept him on the team while getting a new GM

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think Nonis is definitely gone. Aside from him, probably announcing Horachek won't be back either. Staois back to player development and Spott very likely stays for the time being.

Would they really release Dave Morrison so close to the draft? That would be very questionable.

i doubt it. unless they had pieces in place and wanted to do a fell swoop? i think people would freak out that Morrison would be let go, but i bet the Pro scouts would be

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not much doubt Nonis is gone by Monday night. Let's get this going now.

Hard to see Nonis going unless they have someone else readily available. Especially if they plan to move Kessel/Phaneuf/Bozak etc. I have no idea how much (or if) Nonis has been setting the table for these deals.

snizzbone*

I don't see how we can fire Nonis right now unless management has someone in mind to take over as GM that isn't under contract (Hunter?) with another club. Those new management draft pick compensation stuff makes it so we can't hire other teams GMs and stuff without giving up compensation.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Horachek for sure, Nonis is highly likely. Horachek is the worst coach I've ever seen, and I don't even think he's a good assistant coach. Nonis is at least a good Assistant GM.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Hard to see Nonis going unless they have someone else readily available. Especially if they plan to move Kessel/Phaneuf/Bozak etc. I have no idea how much (or if) Nonis has been setting the table for these deals.

Nor do I, I suspect Shanahan has been running everything for a good long while. The tone of Dregers interviews and tweets in the past week lead me to believe that Nonis is finished. I doubt that Horachek will be the lone victim.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Good.

Nonis, Horachek, Morrison and Kaspar should all be fired.

What about the Assistant coaches? Staios, Dennis, Spott? Or Jim Hughes, the Director of Player Development, whom has been around since the Burke days. Or Kevin Dineen, whom hasn't been that great as the Marlies coach. I mean, Spott was good in the AHL, does he go back there? Or in player development? Does Staios go back to being a team consultant/player development? Does Dennis go back to video coach, or do we ditch all three of them? The two we have now are very inexperienced. What about Scouting? Thommie Bergman has been excellent, but we have like 25 scouts. Was he the man on all of them? Who is good and who is bad? What about Anthony Belza, the conditioning coach since the Burke days?

I mean, we've got guys in here that may not be great somewhere, but good elsewhere. And if they don't fit anywhere, who does fit in those vacancies?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nor do I, I suspect Shanahan has been running everything for a good long while. The tone of Dregers interviews and tweets in the past week lead me to believe that Nonis is finished. I doubt that Horachek will be the lone victim.

Yep, the way Dredger has been acting the past few weeks definitely seems to suggest Nonis is out of here.

And from Shanahan's pov - I can't see how there is any way where he see's a benefit from keeping Nonis around. If he doesn't fire him this offseason, Nonis essentially becomes "his guy" - and I don't think Shanahan will want to stake his leaf's legacy on a guy who already built one failed team here.

Not to mention, 'sacrifices' will have to be made to the fans, and they've already fired one coach this season - bigger heads will need to roll.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I hope they keep Spott.

If I had my way:

Fired:

Goalie Coach
Head Coach
Assistant Coaches (Not Spott)
Head of Scouting Morrison
GM moved or fired or demoted

garce

Mar 20, 2010
What about the Assistant coaches? Staios, Dennis, Spott? Or Jim Hughes, the Director of Player Development, whom has been around since the Burke days. Or Kevin Dineen, whom hasn't been that great as the Marlies coach. I mean, Spott was good in the AHL, does he go back there? Or in player development? Does Staios go back to being a team consultant/player development? Does Dennis go back to video coach, or do we ditch all three of them? The two we have now are very inexperienced. What about Scouting? Thommie Bergman has been excellent, but we have like 25 scouts. Was he the man on all of them? Who is good and who is bad? What about Anthony Belza, the conditioning coach since the Burke days?

I mean, we've got guys in here that may not be great somewhere, but good elsewhere. And if they don't fit anywhere, who does fit in those vacancies?

I expect the new coach will be a veteran, if not Babcock then McLellan, Julien (gulp) or someone else who might come available. That kind of in demand guy is going to have the right to name his own assistants maybe compromising on one. I could see Spott staying as a assistant and Staios staying in another capacity. The rest I dunno.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I hope they keep Spott.

If I had my way:

Fired:

Goalie Coach
Head Coach
Assistant Coaches (Not Spott)
Head of Scouting Morrison
GM moved or fired or demoted

Spott? Nah.

It's not a popular belief, But Morrison shouldn't let go purely because of the top two round draft picks that moved out on him.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Well this is interesting cause Dreger put out an article yesterday saying he(Nonis) looked to be safe.

Dreger didn't specifically say Nonis today either, that's just the poster's opinion. There were no specifics mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad