Man on the Silfver Mountain

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I think it would be helpful to also mention what you don't like about silfverberg. Obviously we're all sens fans so we'll say good things, but reading this thread would make you think he's the next crosby. It would be informative to also shed light on the stuff holding him back, or the things he needs to improve.

When reading scouting reports, i always prefer the ones that give the good and the bad, not just the good, because they make every prospect sound like wayne gretzky in the making.

Skill level isn't elite. Limited upside. He's smart and mature so he'll probably get a lot out of the skill he does have.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He's been our best forward prospect since we drafted him. Exceeded expectations in the AHL.
<---------

Bright future in our top 6 hopefully and certainly top 9.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
There isn't much bad about Silfverberg. IMO he projects to be a 70-80 point forward in the league who is good both ends of the ice with leadership qualities. Similar to a Toews.

If there is a bad about him is that he may play better with better players around him, although when Jarnkrok went down Silfverberg was still producing in the SEL so that isn't mostly the case but he does preform better?

He isn't much of a puck-handler and his skating is just slightly above average. He wont wow you with his speed but it can get the job done. Could stand to be a bit more aggressive but that's not really his playing style.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
That shot is pretty elite...

Even if it is, it doesn't change what I said. His upside is limited by the many skills of his that are not elite.

That doesn't mean he can't be a 1st line player. It means he's never going to be Sidney Crosby or something. Yup, I know, nothing groundbreaking. It's why talking about his shortcomings is kinda useless, people's projections of him for the most part are reasonable and grounded, his shortcomings are considered in people's projections of him without needing to really talk about them.

It's also hard to talk about faults when looking at players that appear to get the most out of their ability. From Chris Kelly to Jonathan Toews....players of varying value but both guys don't hurt you. Silfverberg may share that quality with those two...and his value may fall somewhere between them.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I'm a little surprised at how quickly Silfverberg has adjusted. I always thought he had a very intriguing upside, and after his great year in the SEL last year, he really seemed to be realizing that potential.

He has adapted quickly to the AHL. Shows smarts in both the offensive and defensive zone. Always helping out the D and being in a good spot to receive a quick outlet pass. Has quick hands, good body positioning and balance to control the puck along the boards and make a smart play.

His shot opens up offensive opportunities for him. Gets it off quickly and from anywhere on the ice. Left wing or right wing, above the circle or in tight. Hard and accurate. Does not mind bringing the puck to the net, or into traffic, and can maintain control due to good balance and drive. Makes smart passes as well, which compliments his shooting ability and knack for being able find or make room to get off a quick shot or make a quick pass.

He is not very physical, but does initiate some contact in order to separate a player from the puck. Not overly fast, but seems to be able to get a step on defenders and shoot in stride at ease, as well as getting back quickly to help out defensively. He skates smart, no wasting time aimlessly, but always reading the play and skating to where he can make an efficient and positive play to help the team offensively or defensively.

I am not sure what his ceiling might be, but so far his ability to refine his game and dominate in the SEL and his transition to the AHL are promising. Best case scenario he develops into a really strong two-way Swedish winger in the vein of Alfredsson, Naslund, Zetterberg, Eriksson.

Time will tell, would be great to see him up in Ottawa this year showing what he can do.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Even if it is, it doesn't change what I said. His upside is limited by the many skills of his that are not elite.

That doesn't mean he can't be a 1st line player. It means he's never going to be Sidney Crosby or something. Yup, I know, nothing groundbreaking. It's why talking about his shortcomings is kinda useless, people's projections of him for the most part are reasonable and grounded, his shortcomings are considered in people's projections of him without needing to really talk about them.

It's also hard to talk about faults when looking at players that appear to get the most out of their ability. From Chris Kelly to Jonathan Toews....players of varying value but both guys don't hurt you. Silfverberg may share that quality with those two...and his value may fall somewhere between them.

I would say he is closer to this than Chris Kelly. We all know he is not Crosby. He has a ton of hockey sense and a nose for the net however. He is also fairly defensively sound and not afraid to shake it up a little bit in dirty areas.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If you guys followed his scouting reports when he was initially drafted, scouts said he is a boom or bust prospect, I've been saying this for a while. A guy who can be a star or someone who won't even find a job in the NHL. Mind you this is different from saying a top 6er or bust. His skating was in huge question as well as his overall skill ability to translate to higher levels, if it did, it would do so with a bang. All we've seen so far is star stats and play. I don't understand why some of you still insist that he does not have star potential just because he isn't of the flashy sort. His shot, vision and IQ are all elite, imo.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
There isn't much bad about Silfverberg. IMO he projects to be a 70-80 point forward in the league who is good both ends of the ice with leadership qualities. Similar to a Toews.

If there is a bad about him is that he may play better with better players around him, although when Jarnkrok went down Silfverberg was still producing in the SEL so that isn't mostly the case but he does preform better?

He isn't much of a puck-handler and his skating is just slightly above average. He wont wow you with his speed but it can get the job done. Could stand to be a bit more aggressive but that's not really his playing style.

A bit of a stretch, IMO.

Consistent 20 goal, 50+ point winger with 2-way skill is a much more realistic bet.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I am not sure what his ceiling might be, but so far his ability to refine his game and dominate in the SEL and his transition to the AHL are promising. Best case scenario he develops into a really strong two-way Swedish winger in the vein of Alfredsson, Naslund, Zetterberg, Eriksson.

Time will tell, would be great to see him up in Ottawa this year showing what he can do.

Naslund wasn't a very good 2-way player.

In any case, I do see good things in Silfverberg. He does have a hockey sense, not like Paajarvi who is totally clueless on the ice.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I would say he is closer to this than Chris Kelly. We all know he is not Crosby. He has a ton of hockey sense and a nose for the net however. He is also fairly defensively sound and not afraid to shake it up a little bit in dirty areas.

Someone wanted to talk about his faults, I said all you're gonna find out about his faults is that he's not a game breaking superstar which everyone has acknowledged without overtly acknowledging.

John Holmes*

Realistic yes but he has the potential to get much more than that. I think he hits 80 a couple times but plays with 60-70 throughout his career.

Lofty expectations.

That basically puts him on par with Spezza and Karlsson. I think you must realize how ridiculous of a projection that is.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Lofty expectations.

That basically puts him on par with Spezza and Karlsson. I think you must realize how ridiculous of a projection that is.

Yeah I personally don't think he has what it takes to crack 70 in this league. Maybe once or twice, but he wont be a "70 point scorer" unless theres a bump in scoring a la 2004-2005. I think Silf will generally be a 30-30 guy. He'll probably have a 600-800 pt career if I had to estimate.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Yeah I personally don't think he has what it takes to crack 70 in this league. Maybe once or twice, but he wont be a "70 point scorer" unless theres a bump in scoring a la 2004-2005. I think Silf will generally be a 30-30 guy. He'll probably have a 600-800 pt career if I had to estimate.

Beast.

While providing exemplary two-way play and in all situations. Hard guy for a coach not to love. Better to think of Silfverberg as a goal scorer than straight producer. RKL loves his passing ability, and it's underrated..but I dunno if it's 50 assists good.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Beast.

While providing exemplary two-way play and in all situations. Hard guy for a coach not to love. Better to think of Silfverberg as a goal scorer than straight producer. RKL loves his passing ability, and it's underrated..but I dunno if it's 50 assists good.

Yep of course. Fact is, he was drafted mostly for his defensive prowess, plus the slight chance that he would expand on it and become who he is today. This looks like its turning into a near-best case scenario, but I still think even without his offence we'd be pretty excited for him. He might even get DD-esque hype.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Yep of course. Fact is, he was drafted mostly for his defensive prowess, plus the slight chance that he would expand on it and become who he is today. This looks like its turning into a near-best case scenario, but I still think even without his offence we'd be pretty excited for him. He might even get DD-esque hype.

They drafted him to be a goal scorer. They said that on draft day, I think Valclav Burda pretty much said "he's going to score the goals".

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
Someone wanted to talk about his faults, I said all you're gonna find out about his faults is that he's not a game breaking superstar which everyone has acknowledged without overtly acknowledging.

Silfverberg Will be a huge goalscorer , i have no doubt about that.
But i dont get the feel about he´s leadership and gamechanging play.
Can he turn things around like Sundin, Alfie or Zetterberg?
Can he make the difference and be THE player to go to?
Right now i think not but for sure he´s points will not hurt!

I Hope he prove me wrong! I really didn´t think Louie Eriksson was NHL material at all and see what happend!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lofty expectations.

No no my fellow fanmates. I expect him to get around 60-70 not a 70 goal scorer. So something alongside the mean of 65 points throughout his career which for his skill level and iq is definitely do-able, imo.

I do not think he will get 50 assists as much as I think he'd be able to do 40-40 once or twice during his prime.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
No no my fellow fanmates. I expect him to get around 60-70 not a 70 goal scorer. So something alongside the mean of 65 points throughout his career which for his skill level and iq is definitely do-able, imo.

I do not think he will get 50 assists as much as I think he'd be able to do 40-40 once or twice during his prime.

I can see that.

Don't forget that he will likely get a lot of time with Spezza, and Karlsson

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

60-70 points, while maybe a little high, is reasonable. I don't think he will consistently hit 70, though.

John Holmes*

We should also remember that he is playing in the AHL here. While it's great that he seems to have figured it out, there is still a big jump to the NHL.

I'll temper my expectations. 10-15 G in a 48 game season would be astronomical in my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad