Man on the Silfver Mountain

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
We should also remember that he is playing in the AHL here. While it's great that he seems to have figured it out, there is still a big jump to the NHL.

I'll temper my expectations. 10-15 G in a 48 game season would be astronomical in my eyes.

10 would be good, 15 would be amazing. 10 is around what I'd expect.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
As awful as this lockout is, I think it really helped Silfverberg find his game on NA ice before he took the big leap.

I'm guessing he would have cracked the Sens otherwise, and probably would have struggled and been sent down

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
As awful as this lockout is, I think it really helped Silfverberg find his game on NA ice before he took the big leap.

I'm guessing he would have cracked the Sens otherwise, and probably would have struggled and been sent down

Agreed, I said the same thing in another thread somewhere. I'm too lazy to go looking for it though, so you'll just have to trust that we're both on the same level. :laugh:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The lockout is always most beneficial to prospects. They aren't rushed and play in an atmostphere which is best for their development.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The lockout is always most beneficial to prospects. They aren't rushed and play in an atmostphere which is best for their development.

Eh, it's a two-way street. During a lockout you'll occasionally have prospects who are blocked because young guys who were otherwise tabbed to play in the NHL (the Eberle's of the world) are taking their top-line AHL jobs away. Or, in Europe, you'll have young guys who are blocked by NHLers being parachuted onto the teams and taking icetime away.

I'm just happy that's not really happening to us in any capacity.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Silferbells..... Silferbells,
It's Jakob's time, in this city
Ring-a-ling, off the post and in,
Soon it will be Jakob's day

Defensemen get walked,
Forwards get walked,
Goalies undressed in swaggery style,
On this board there's a feeling of Alfie,
Pin-point passing, sniping shot after shot,
And on every street corner you'll hear

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Defensemen get walked,
Forwards get walked,

2420942.jpg

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Eh, it's a two-way street. During a lockout you'll occasionally have prospects who are blocked because young guys who were otherwise tabbed to play in the NHL (the Eberle's of the world) are taking their top-line AHL jobs away. Or, in Europe, you'll have young guys who are blocked by NHLers being parachuted onto the teams and taking icetime away.

I'm just happy that's not really happening to us in any capacity.

Well it's not interfering with any of our prspects but looking at guys like Strome and Hamilton, another year of junior won't hurt them whereas putting them in the NHL might.

I personally prefer to take the cautious road for a prospects development.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa

Defensemen get walked,
Forwards get walked,

1000x500px-LL-230d1899_129050221092264496.jpg

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Truculence?
it would have to be truculenting to keep the rhythm of the song. :)

ie... Pin-point passing, truculenting, sniping shot after shot

of course for proper English it should be...

Pin-point passing, truculently, sniping shot after shot

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
he has always been an aggressive gritty player. but last year something happend, he lost his agressive gritty style.

Yea, if you go back to my reports about him a couple years ago I always said how he'd be perfect for the NA game because he loves going into the corners and roughing the players up and playing with a lot of grit. It seems as though lately he still does that but relies more on body positioning and skill. This new brand of playing style has enabled him to better use his best attributes more efficiently like his shooting, passing and vision. I am not worried though because it's evolving for the better and there are times where I still see Silfverberg more than capable of handling the rough stuff. I actually think that as he grows as a player, he'll be able to adapt to difference cases like raise his physical intensity come playoff time but still be able to use finesse to beat out defenders and fore-checkers.

Doesn't everything I just said remind you of Alfredsson? A player who has never been really known for his aggressive side but you never see it affecting his style of play when it does occur. Now I'm not saying Silfverberg will be Alfredsson but their playing styles are so familiar.

Fitch89

Sep 11, 2011
I was just looking at the overall points leaders in the AHL. Anybody else notice that in the top 40 scorers, Silf is the only one with only 2 PIM?

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
silf's training in gritty play is still apparent as he will go to the dirty areas in front of the net and take abuse to score. he's no one dimensional offensive player. passing, shooting, garbage goals, cycling, grinding, finesse: he'll do it all.

General Granny*

I was just looking at the overall points leaders in the AHL. Anybody else notice that in the top 40 scorers, Silf is the only one with only 2 PIM?

Alfie like.

But yeah when he was drafted he was know for his gritty play and was projected an elite 3rd line player who scored the garbage gritty goals, I don't think he has lost it its just that he has developed other skills that doesn't require him to sit at the front of the net to rack up points, I have still seen him in score in front of the net while getting cross checked from behind, like yesterday's game winner against Albany for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->