Injury Report: Man-Games Lost - 2013 Official Injury Thread (The Colaiacovo Report)

Harley83

May 28, 2012
Might as well go ahead and say that Halak will also be injured most of next regular season but be healed right before the potential playoffs. He reminds me of Dominik Hasek.

Harley83

May 28, 2012
I don't see Hitch as that big of a fan of Halak for some reason. I feel like after last year Hitch looks at Halak like he's weak.

Hitch expects him to live up to his contract rather than acting like a Colaiacovo. Armstrong has even made the comments before that "he is cleared and expected to play" almost like the problem is with Jaro and not the "injury"

ghostface89

Dec 10, 2009
SF.CA
Hey guys, does anyone know if Pietrangelo's okay after leaving the game yesterday? I have fantasy playoffs on the line here!

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Any updates on Halak at all?
nnnnnnnnooooooooope

"week to week". But all the teams' observers seem to realize that the time is pretty short for him to rejoin the team, get some games in and play a prominent role in the post-season. I guess we'll see how the coaches play it, but at this point I think his injury rehab will become irrelevant unless Elliott (and Allen) collapses.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Oshie has a stress fracture. Surgery was scheduled for today according to JR. Not known when he'll be back.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
What the? Saw the tweet. Did they not know he had a stress fracture the last couple weeks practicing? Surgery means he's probably done for the year.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
How does this happen? Medical staff needs to answer for this one
Stress fractures often aren't apparent on X-rays taken when symptoms first present. It might take weeks, or even a month, for evidence of a stress fracture to show up on an X-ray. MRIs are slightly more sensitive to picking them up (still far from foolproof), but if their initial diagnosis was a bone bruise it's unlikely that they had one done.

Once it became apparent that the foot wasn't healing as expected, they probably caught it when they re-visited the X-rays and/or performed additional tests (i.e. an MRI).

It sucks, but sometimes things like this happen. I'm not seeing any gross negligence on the part of the medical staff here.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Considering he had a deep bruise on the ankle, he would have had an x-ray on it I think it is safe to assume it didn't show up a couple of weeks back. Hopefully nothing was missed anyway.

Surgery went well, he's out week-to-week. Best case scenario is that we get him back around game 4 of the first round I think.

Brez50

Mar 18, 2013
Central Illinois
Oshie Out the rest of the Season

From DailyFaceoff:

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/players/news/1339/tj-oshie

Blues announce T.J. Oshie underwent surgery on his left ankle and is listed as week to week. He has been on injured reserve since April 2.
Looks like our update this morning was on track. This essentially ends Oshie's season from a fantasy viewpoint.
Dan Rosen
April 16, 2013, 5:56 p.m.

Told a screw may have been required to fix Oshie's injured ankle #stlblues
Bad news on the injury front, time to drop him if you haven't already.
Andy Strickland
April 16, 2013, 12:19 p.m.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Stress fractures often aren't apparent on X-rays taken when symptoms first present. It might take weeks, or even a month, for evidence of a stress fracture to show up on an X-ray. MRIs are slightly more sensitive to picking them up (still far from foolproof), but if their initial diagnosis was a bone bruise it's unlikely that they had one done.

Once it became apparent that the foot wasn't healing as expected, they probably caught it when they re-visited the X-rays and/or performed additional tests (i.e. an MRI).

It sucks, but sometimes things like this happen. I'm not seeing any gross negligence on the part of the medical staff here.

Didn't we go throught this last season? (Or was it the season before?) I can't even remember who the player was.

Basically, due to swelling the original x-rays didn't show the small stress fracture (hairline fracture?).

Heck, maybe it was with the Cardinals or Rams. But I do remember a similar situation happening recently in St. Louis sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad