Confirmed with Link: Malone arrested on DUI and possession of cocaine charges | Entered NHL's SA program

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Would be great to see Malone use this low point as a career turnaround. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the organization sticks with him. Not to mention, he'd be playing for a contract next year.

Bish Please is spot on...but humans gonna human :shakehead. It's sad but common, and fortunately nobody was hurt. I tend to agree with Jon Cooper's comments. Wouldn't be fair imo to define Malone by what may be the lowest point of his life (one he was caught for nonetheless), especially considering the public aspect.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Malone update

On 620 this morning Bill Wickett (VP with Lightning) indicated Malone voluntarily entered the NHL's substance abuse program and is already checked into the program in California.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
On 620 this morning Bill Wickett (VP with Lightning) indicated Malone voluntarily entered the NHL's substance abuse program and is already checked into the program in California.

I thought he wouldn't be allowed to leave Florida until the charges are settled?

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
I thought he wouldn't be allowed to leave Florida until the charges are settled?

According to the Lightning VP he's in treatment in California.

No idea how long the treatment time frame is, but with Malone being far away attending to this personal matter the situation should not be a distraction to the team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

For all the jokes I've made at Malone's expense, that's good news. Looks like he's at least taking the situation seriously, which is pretty much all he can do after the fact.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So does anyone know if Malone's status in the NHL's substance abuse program will affect our ability to buy him out?

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
So does anyone know if Malone's status in the NHL's substance abuse program will affect our ability to buy him out?

If we can't buy him out then I'm pretty sure that means he will be on LTIR if he is getting treatment. If that is the case, no cap hit for Malone.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/malone-pleads-not-guilty-to-cocaine-dui-charges/2177758
Lightning left wing Ryan Malone has pleaded not guilty to DUI and cocaine possession charges stemming from an April 12 arrest in Tampa. That case is ongoing, but on Wednesday the state in Hillsborough County court dismissed a charge of driving with a suspended license connected to an April 8 traffic stop, also in Tampa.
Malone, 34, is being evaluated by a substance abuse and behavioral health program run jointly by the league and players association. No trial date has been set for the cocaine and DUI charges that could bring maximum prison time of five years and six months, respectively.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So he's pleading not guilty to everything:

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 11h
#tblightning LW Ryan Malone pleads not guilty to DUI, drug charges http://shar.es/SpfyK via @tbocom

If he is, in truth, guilty, I'm pretty sure that goes against one of his recovery steps.:sarcasm:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
So he's pleading not guilty to everything:

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 11h
#tblightning LW Ryan Malone pleads not guilty to DUI, drug charges http://shar.es/SpfyK via @tbocom

If he is, in truth, guilty, I'm pretty sure that goes against one of his recovery steps.:sarcasm:

"Nah man, wasn't my breath you analyzed"

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
IANAL, but im pretty sure that pleading "not guilty" is like step one on the road to pleabargainville, population: every other sports guy that has ever gotten into trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad