Confirmed with Link: Malone arrested on DUI and possession of cocaine charges | Entered NHL's SA program

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
So many of them do it, that's no secret. Doesn't really matter if it doesn't affect their game which it really shouldn't.

The problem is getting caught. Don't get caught! They have so much to lose, especially the younger guys who need to prove themselves yet.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
So many of them do it, that's no secret. Doesn't really matter if it doesn't affect their game which it really shouldn't.

The problem is getting caught. Don't get caught! They have so much to lose, especially the younger guys who need to prove themselves yet.

I know this is true, I'm around a lot of pro Rugby players here in NZ and it's no different.

His play has declined a lot but I don't think it's anything to do with this. He's always been known for being seen out after games etc in the Tampa area.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Yeah, he'll get fired before he gets bought out.

Hope this is the wakeup he'll need to get his **** back together. Makes you wonder how much better a player he could have been if he had been taking care of his body.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A buyout would be generous, I'd be on board for just ending his contract on the behavior clause.

Sensitive issue though, PR wise. If there's some sort of substance abuse problem, and let's be honest, Malone is very likely to frame it that way even if it's an exaggeration, the Lightning are probably going to have to handle this with care. TBL will have to make it look like they're supporting Malone through this.

That said, yeah, this is the final nail in his contract's coffin. I just think they're going to have to handle it with care.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Is there a behavior clause in the CBA regarding arrests? Possession of Cocaine seems serious enough to enforce it.

starting on page 310:

The Player further agrees, (...)

(e) to conduct himself on and off the rink according to the highest standards of honesty, morality, fair play and sportsmanship, and to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey generally.

Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes 2m

Yzerman, in a statement, said he is aware of situation. Malone will not be with team for finale Sunday at Wash but cannot comment further.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, he'll get fired before he gets bought out.

Hope this is the wakeup he'll need to get his **** back together. Makes you wonder how much better a player he could have been if he had been taking care of his body.

I thought the same thing. Malone had the decline of your typical 1980s athlete, where it was like they just fell off a cliff in their early thirties. When athletes really take care of themselves these days (MSL), they tend to have a lot more longevity.

The DUI on its own would be a rough situation.

newham89

Feb 11, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Sensitive issue though, PR wise. If there's some sort of substance abuse problem, and let's be honest, Malone is very likely to frame it that way even if it's an exaggeration, the Lightning are probably going to have to handle this with care. TBL will have to make it look like they're supporting Malone through this.

That said, yeah, this is the final nail in his contract's coffin. I just think they're going to have to handle it with care.

Substance abuse aside, he's drink driving. He's gone.

Again, if found guilty. I assume with the DUI he must have been breathalysed.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia

I was hoping we could retain 1-2m of his salary and trade him for some kind of pick.. Now it's just best if we can terminate his contract, not sure on the new CBA but I'm pretty sure the last one you could terminate contracts for offences like this.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I thought cocaine would've made him skate faster, should've been doing lines between shifts.

Explains why his career went downhill so fast. He had a good run here sucks it's gonna end like this.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

No doubt. I'm talking more from a PR standpoint. I think it's very unlikely that TB just washes their hands of Malone. Or, at least, they're not going to want it to look like that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Seriously though, can anyone remember a season this effin dramatic for any team? It's been one thing after another this year.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida

Not necessarily. In Florida you can refuse the breathalyzer, blood and urine tests for suspicion of DUI. You still get charged for DUI on top of additional penalties for refusing.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
would that have shown up on the page?

I'm not sure. It's been several years since I took any type of law class but I don't believe it's an extra charge until you refuse two separate times.

BUT...

On his arrest report it has "BAC .116/.112" at the bottom so he did blow. He shouldn't have but this helps any potential termination with cause.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Good thing he's dumb enough he gave us a reason to fire him without needing to buy out him

Maybe Ryan Malone as Hodor would have been better

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I aint gonna say told you so. I only feel sorry for this man. I am very disappointed also in the timing I mean really a week before the playoffs? Is no excuse honestly.

The I told you so wasnt here but with friends on facebook I have ran into malone in public a few times over last few years. I said to people he really pushed it too hard and if he kept up when he retires I could see him becoming a homeless bum within ten years. Is reaction I had with him honestly.

Sad that is all the way up to cocaine and who knows what else. We all have demons. Shortcomings etc. wont judge probably done worst things when was younger myself.

I hope he can get the help he needs and find himself before its too late. I noticed the decline etc.. why had a stance with him. Thought he was very bad influence on people like killorn to name one whom know he went out with in past.

For his sake I hope he can find himself before too late if is not already. Failure is hard to take, especially if brought on by own actions.

This should get him at the very least bought out. Hopefully Ryan Malone you can turn it around and dedicate yourself to a game you took for granted at times and love and is enough to save yourself.

Sad sad situation.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
FFS Bugsy!

Even playing badly I couldn't help cheering for the big oaf, but damn. He was always known as a partier, but you can't be this stupid, seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad