Confirmed with Link: Malone arrested on DUI and possession of cocaine charges | Entered NHL's SA program

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
A lot of people posting here are apparently perfect people and have never made mistakes.:shakehead

Not as big as DUI, no.

Cocaine doesn't bother me. I have no sympathy for anybody who drives drunk. People driving under the influence put so many innocent people at risk that it's hard for me to feel sorry for anybody who does it. You made the decision to drink, you made the decision to drive, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Agreed that it doesn't make them better. Just makes them selfish *******s who weren't caught.

I don't see how they're selfish. What if they went out to dinner with their wife and both had a glass of wine then got pulled over?

Not everyone who gets a DUI is plastered and knowingly putting whoever is on the road with them at risk.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I don't see how they're selfish. What if they went out to dinner with their wife and both had a glass of wine then got pulled over?

Not everyone who gets a DUI is plastered and knowingly putting whoever is on the road with them at risk.

1 glass of wine wouldn't put you over the limit.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
If a glass of wine causes you to blow a .08 you shouldn't drink at all. But yes IMO a DUI is one of the most selfish crimes someone can commit. Malone carrying a gram and a half of cocaine won't affect anyone else (Besides being a bit of a distraction and negative PR to the Lightning and NHL) but Malone driving drunk had the potential to hurt many people. Too put other people at risk because you don't want to call a cab is extremely selfish. Malone has made enough money that he could take a limo everywhere he goes for the rest of his life, call a cab. It annoys me when people downplay DUI as something "everyone does". My aunt was killed by a drunk driver in 2001 so I take this a b it personal but when you put other peoples lives at risk it's more than just a mistake IMO.

I wish Malone well in whatever happens next but favoriting a tweet about his DUI really irks me.

Last edited:

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Playoff time guys.. unite and look forward to that. This thread is going nowhere. I hope Bugsy gets the help he needs.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
1 glass of wine wouldn't put you over the limit.

Especially a guys of Malone's size. The disappointing thing is that's not really professional. He's having a bad season and drinking and snorting coke at 3AM is likely not going to help. It would explain the bad season he's had though.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Not as big as DUI, no.

Cocaine doesn't bother me. I have no sympathy for anybody who drives drunk. People driving under the influence put so many innocent people at risk that it's hard for me to feel sorry for anybody who does it. You made the decision to drink, you made the decision to drive, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Not just that, but doing it after you've already been busted driving on a suspended license. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
The majority of the country have at one point been behind the wheel after having a drink. Just cause they weren't caught and charged with a DUI doesn't make them better then someone who has.

Exactly and would it even be news if he was only busted with a suspended license.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If a glass of wine causes you to blow a .08 you shouldn't drink at all. But yes IMO a DUI is one of the most selfish crimes someone can commit. Malone carrying a gram and a half of cocaine won't affect anyone else (Besides being a bit of a distraction and negative PR to the Lightning and NHL) but Malone driving drunk had the potential to hurt many people. Too put other people at risk because you don't want to call a cab is extremely selfish. Malone has made enough money that he could take a limo everywhere he goes for the rest of his life, call a cab. It annoys me when people downplay DUI as something "everyone does". My aunt was killed by a drunk driver in 2001 so I take this a b it personal but when you put other peoples lives at risk it's more than just a mistake IMO.

I wish Malone well in whatever happens next but favoriting a tweet about his DUI really irks me.

One glass won't put you over a .08 but you don't need to be over .08 to be arrested for a DUI. A cop just has to think you're too impaired to operate a vehicle properly. Obviously a good lawyer would fight that but you still get arrested on suspicion and have to deal with all that comes from that.

Im not advocating drinking and driving but it's not as cut and dry as it seems sometimes. In an ideal world everybody would take a cab or have a DD but that's never going to happen and people will be arrested every day for it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
The majority of the country have at one point been behind the wheel after having a drink. Just cause they weren't caught and charged with a DUI doesn't make them better then someone who has.

There's having a drink and then there's blowing .03 over the legal limit TWO HOURS after being arrested. He was hammered. A guy of Malone's height and weight isn't blowing anywhere close to .08 after a beer or two. He went at it pretty hard.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
No one's talking about people having a wine of glass or two. They wouldn't go over the DUI limit anyway - the discussion is about people who get completely wasted and then go out and drive and endanger their lives as well as the lives of others.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
A lot of people posting here are apparently perfect people and have never made mistakes.:shakehead

People always lump every kind of mistake together. There are big mistakes, and there are small mistakes. Malone made a big mistake, and is stupid for it. I can honestly, 100% certainly say, that I will never get hopped up on coke (or even do coke for that matter), get drunk, and drive. Because thats a big mistake.

As for the libertarians around here saying that it is only Malone's concern as to what he puts in his body, I agree with you. However, in his case, it is also the Tampa Bay Lightning's concern as to what he puts in his body. He is a professional athlete, supposed to be in the best shape he can be in.

Furthermore, because it is the law, the state is also concerned as to what he puts in his body. Doesn't mean it's the way it should or should not be. But that's the way it is right now, and Malone ignored that.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There's having a drink and then there's blowing .03 over the legal limit TWO HOURS after being arrested. He was hammered. A guy of Malone's height and weight isn't blowing anywhere close to .08 after a beer or two. He went at it pretty hard.

.03 is like a beer or two for someone his size. The two hours is because he refused on scene and then they got him to blow at the station, the two hours isn't exact either that's just roughly when they filled out paperwork, they do usually give you an hour to sober up.

No question he went at it hard, dude had coke on him so you know it was a good night. He made a mistake and good caught but he's not a monster because of it. Hopefully he gee help and learns from it and it makes him a better person from it.

Alivesi

Feb 1, 2012
Ontario
Wait why are people implying this will be the end of his career? I know it's a different sport but people in the NFL get DUI's all the time, I think Jared Allen has 3, Lynch has one, big players have it and nothing happens to them at all, if Malone's career is over now it's because no team think he can cut it in the NHL not cause of being caught with blow and getting a DUI

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wait why are people implying this will be the end of his career? I know it's a different sport but people in the NFL get DUI's all the time, I think Jared Allen has 3, Lynch has one, big players have it and nothing happens to them at all, if Malone's career is over now it's because no team think he can cut it in the NHL not cause of being caught with blow and getting a DUI

I don't think it is, but there's a good chance. Malone's situation is a little different because his play had declined to the point that he was a fringe NHLer anyway. Yzerman couldn't trade him for peanuts in the off-season.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
.03 is like a beer or two for someone his size. The two hours is because he refused on scene and then they got him to blow at the station, the two hours isn't exact either that's just roughly when they filled out paperwork, they do usually give you an hour to sober up.

No question he went at it hard, dude had coke on him so you know it was a good night. He made a mistake and good caught but he's not a monster because of it. Hopefully he gee help and learns from it and it makes him a better person from it.

Nobody said children will be checking under their beds for Ryan Malone. We are just saying that it's not as light as you're trying to make it out to be. It's not like he got pulled over, blew a .04 at the scene and got arrested for DUI. Dude was pulled over at 3 in the morning, refused a field test for a reason, had cocaine in his possession, and blew quite a bit over the legal limit well after his time of arrest. .03 may be a beer or two, but it's not about how much he drank. It's about how intoxicated he was. Being almost 50% over the legal limit well after his arrest means that he was somewhere around .13 at the time of his arrest. If you can't differentiate between driving while pretty severely intoxicated and driving after having a glass of wine with dinner, then there isn't a point in disputing this any further.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida

It has the chance to end his career because of both the arrest and declining skill. He was likely looking at a one year deal at a very low salary once he's bought out but is whatever positive Malone provides worth the potential risk and negative PR?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Nobody said children will be checking under their beds for Ryan Malone. We are just saying that it's not as light as you're trying to make it out to be. It's not like he got pulled over, blew a .04 at the scene and got arrested for DUI. Dude was pulled over at 3 in the morning, refused a field test for a reason, had cocaine in his possession, and blew quite a bit over the legal limit well after his time of arrest. .03 may be a beer or two, but it's not about how much he drank. It's about how intoxicated he was. Being almost 50% over the legal limit well after his arrest means that he was somewhere around .13 at the time of his arrest. If you can't differentiate between driving while pretty severely intoxicated and driving after having a glass of wine with dinner, then there isn't a point in disputing this any further.

The point is that .08 is a number it's not indicative of how intoxicated you are. It's a really a low number for most people as they aren't even buzzed by the time they get to that. I don't know how big you are or your alcohol threshold but I'm sure .08 or .116 wouldn't make you wasted.

Fred89

Jun 8, 2011
Milan
The point is that .08 is a number it's not indicative of how intoxicated you are. It's a really a low number for most people as they aren't even buzzed by the time they get to that. I don't know how big you are or your alcohol threshold but I'm sure .08 or .116 wouldn't make you wasted.

I don't know if the reference is the same as in Italy but here we have 0.5 g/L.
I believe yours is meant to be g/dL so its a lot less strictier :D

And if I am at 0.5 I drive normally like I drive usually, it just depends on the frame size of the guy.. But at 1g/L (or 0.1 in your reference system) you are starting to be a bit wasted.. Surely you are a danger if you don't have a good alcoholic threshold

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

The point is you're effected before you "feel buzzed". Your response time is slower, and your decision making is impaired. By the time you "feel buzzed", which you likely would by .116 (and we can reasonably assume he was higher when he was actually driving), which would have a significant effect on his response time/decision making/coordination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad