Confirmed with Link: Malone arrested on DUI and possession of cocaine charges | Entered NHL's SA program

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So if I'm reading this right we could either buy out his contract (via our second compliance buyout) or terminate it via a "behavior" clause in the new CBA (NHLPA might appeal).

Yeah, the behavior clause might be a last resort, since we don't need any more issues with the NHLPA after the Riku contract thing (I call it "thing" because I'm still not quite sure what the issue is). Then again, that's a 1.67 million price tag for staying off the NHLPA's toes, so maybe Jeff Vinik will be willing to risk that? Just rambling here.

My guess is, Yzerman has already established Malone won't be returning, and how it goes down is up to Vinik.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The buyout watch is on. I'm starting to feel like it's less and less a priority. It makes almost no difference to the team either way, so it's a matter of how Jeff Vinik wants to spend his money.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
In the new Collective Bargaining Agreement agreed to recently by the NHL and the NHLPA, clubs were permitted two "compliance" buyouts to take place during the 2013 and/or 2014 offseasons in order to ease the transition to a lower salary cap.

Will it not be possible to do buyouts after the summer?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Will it not be possible to do buyouts after the summer?

Compliance buyouts yes but we can always ordinary buy him out. With him only having 1 year left and a low salary that's possible. We could keep him on the roster to see if he could be a useful 4th liner and if not we send him to the minors. We save 900k off his caphit and with him unlikely to report we just pay him to go away, it's a way to get around suspending him without the NHLPA getting involved. It all depends on if the organization just wants him gone as soon as possible or not.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
They could put him on LTIR, or come to a mutual decision to part ways like Ranger..
Not sure if insurance pays if LTIR, like Ohlund.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They could put him on LTIR, or come to a mutual decision to part ways like Ranger..
Not sure if insurance pays if LTIR, like Ohlund.

I was thinking he was a LTIR option too but by the time the season comes around he'll be finished with all his rehab and out of the NHL's drug abuse program. I believe he won't be an option for that unless he relapses. Insurance pays for typical LTIR player's and substance abuse like obesity is considered a medical issue these days too I believe.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm starting to think it would have happened by now if it was going to happen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't count on him getting bought out. Its too easy to clear a worse contract on a longer term and wait Bugsy out one more year.

Do you think we will be using the second compliance buyout then?

The only other candidates that come to mind are Purcell and Brewer.

Could Yzerman be waiting to make sure he can move Purcell before pulling the trigger on Malone??

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Do you think we will be using the second compliance buyout then?

The only other candidates that come to mind are Purcell and Brewer.

Could Yzerman be waiting to make sure he can move Purcell before pulling the trigger on Malone??

There is a -2% chance Teddy goes anywhere. You don't dump a player after one down year.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
There is a -2% chance Teddy goes anywhere. You don't dump a player after one down year.

This is true.

As much as we want to move on from him. We are not going to just let him go for free.

he is young ... proven ... and is on the cheap.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

It wouldn't be as big of a problem if he wasn't shrouded with work ethic and consistency issues season after season. Purcell doesn't mesh with anyone anymore. You may have a short term memory, but every time I see him in a Lightning sweater, I'm reminded of the effortless, slow, sloppy, uninterested plays that happened shift after shift. I don't want him anywhere near the Lightning. His unwillingness to engage in anything that resembles work pisses me off more than anything else that is wrong with this team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It wouldn't be as big of a problem if he wasn't shrouded with work ethic and consistency issues season after season. Purcell doesn't mesh with anyone anymore. You may have a short term memory, but every time I see him in a Lightning sweater, I'm reminded of the effortless, slow, sloppy, uninterested plays that happened shift after shift. I don't want him anywhere near the Lightning. His unwillingness to engage in anything that resembles work pisses me off more than anything else that is wrong with this team.

Yeah, I thought he was pretty bad last season too for the most part. He had a spark when Coop came on, if I remember correctly, so I was hopeful for that the problem was Boucher. But this year, he actually looked lazy for large portions of the season, including some portions where he was putting up points. His first 15 games or so were pretty good.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

Bolded for truth...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad