News Article: Malkin Opens up about 18-19 season

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Didnt Rossi make up a bunch of shit in his article about Kessel in June? I would take stuff he says with a grain of salt. The re-signing stuff is probably straight from Genos mouth so that I believe (and makes me super happy).

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Crosby and Malkin’s loyalty to each other is one of the more awesome aspects of their careers here.

This report and the story of Malkin ending the let’s strip Crosby’s “C” and have a temporary captain meeting years ago are just great.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Malkin plans to play 6 more years!?!

530BFA94-7ABA-440C-BD99-7F48D41805F1.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
“You lose confidence, and you start (to) think too much,” Malkin says. “I (started) to think too much. And when I start to think too much, I start to get mad at everyone.”

Ha... I relate to this so, so much.

Oh and the "three more years" thing actually was right from Geno's mouth, from what I can tell:

“It’s (a) huge next three years,” Malkin says. “I still want to play 100 percent — and sign (for) three more years with Pittsburgh.”

That's a little unexpected but would be most welcome. He and Sid playing on the same roster for the same team for 20 years would be f***ing unreal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Didnt Rossi make up a bunch of **** in his article about Kessel in June? I would take stuff he says with a grain of salt. The re-signing stuff is probably straight from Genos mouth so that I believe (and makes me super happy).

Rossi is basically Bob McKenzie when it comes to Malkin. I have no reason to doubt his legit-ness when it comes to Malkin. I also don't recall anything wrong that Rossi said about Kessel in June, either.

I think this article also shows another positive about adding Galchenyuk, it adds another guy that Malkin can easily communicate with. Galchenyuk is American, but he's fluent in Russian.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Pretty reassuring stuff. Thanks for the post. Interesting that Malkin was that bothered by Phil. And of course, thankful that neither Geno nor Sid is going anywhere.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Right. There was a tiny rush to judgment in this thread. I think the truth is probably more nuanced. Also, keep in mind, if Malkin denied it and the "team sources" where the one pimping Malkin wanting Phil out, MAYBE there is an agenda there?

I don't doubt Malkin was frustrated with Phil and considered asking for a trade, but I think Phil was only a part of it. Who knows though. I'm just some dude on the internet with no knowledge of the situation.

I would agree.

I read the whole article, and as usual you have to be very careful with Rossi. All of the juicy stuff in the article and what people are talking about here are attributed to "sources said", not to Geno. Geno took full responsibility for his performance last year himself in his own quotes, and then Rossi went on for paragraph after paragraph with all the other stuff.

I still think it was time for Phil to go, there just isn't a line for him to play on here any more, but if you look at just the actual quotes in this article, it paints a different picture.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would agree.

I read the whole article, and as usual you have to be very careful with Rossi. All of the juicy stuff in the article and what people are talking about here are attributed to "sources said", not to Geno. Geno took full responsibility for his performance last year himself in his own quotes, and then Rossi went on for paragraph after paragraph with all the other stuff.

I still think it was time for Phil to go, there just isn't a line for him to play on here any more, but if you look at just the actual quotes in this article, it paints a different picture.

Yeah I don't dislike the article. Though it's a bit... uh... florid?

But you aren't wrong. There is a bit more nuance there.

3 years at 7.9M $ to equal Crosby contract.

He'll take a slight paycut from there and go with 7.1M, instead.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think Rossi’s good contacts begin and end with Malkin, though. That’s the problem.
I mean, probably, but I feel like if it deals with Malkin his sources would be more likely to give him legit info than any other topic relating to the team. If there's one area of his job where he has to be professional and meticulous, it's in regards to Malkin. And his sources know that obviously.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rossi isn’t writing this article without Malkin or his camp’s permission.

He’s writing Malkin’s career spanning biography. No way he is souring that relationship with heresay.

Nothing's necessarily soured. Rossi didnt mischaracterize what Geno said, he just referenced a lot of unnamed sources for the acrimonious Malkin/Kessel aspects of the article.

He also went out of his way to state that Geno denied the "him or me" trade request.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think people are kind of falling for Rossi's shtick if the information they are coming away with from the article is "Malkin demanded a trade if Kessel wasn't gone."

That entire section of the article consisted of "sources say" this and that. Who knows how reliable these "multiple sources" really are. Like... I don't think it's controversial to say there seems to be a lot of "team and league 'sources'" that have axes to grind with Geno every single offseason. Nevermind Kessel.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think people are kind of falling for Rossi's shtick if the information they are coming away with from the article is "Malkin demanded a trade if Kessel wasn't gone."

That entire section of the article consisted of "sources say" this and that. Who knows how reliable these "multiple sources" really are. Like... I don't think it's controversial to say there seems to be a lot of "team and league 'sources'" that seem to have axes to grind with Geno every single offseason.

Speaking of air cover...nice to have this in the org's back pocket if Gooch isnt coming close to making up for Kessel's impact.

"Well it was him or Geno!"

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Speaking of air cover...nice to have this in the org's back pocket if Gooch isnt coming close to making up for Kessel's impact.

"Well it was him or Geno!"

True enough. It does provide a "our hands were tied" narrative.

But for my part... I still see it a little both ways. I'm sad to see an elite, impact player go with no clear replacement other than this magical "depth" people often seem to crow about right before a trainwreck season, offensively. But I also never saw Kessel as a forever-Penguin and could see conflicts brewing that were undeniably Kessel-centric a while back.

If the ultimate result is a jacked, determined, angry, often-beast-mode Geno... well...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad