News Article: Malkin Opens up about 18-19 season

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
In Moscow, Evgeni Malkin opens up about his lost season,...

Paywall but here's some relevant cliff-notes:

-Malkin had private fights with Sully mainly about ice-time, and more public bouts with Kessel. Geno admits both stemmed from his own internal frustration and poor play

-He basically requested a trade if Kessel stayed on the team.

-Speaking of trades, when the JR comments about Malkin's future came out, Sid was pissed and made it clear to management "it's me and Geno"

-He felt more isolated and lonely than usual with his family splitting time between Russia/Miami and Gonchar spending lots of time in Dallas. He also feels like he can't open up and show his true self to younger guys since he's still not comfortable with his English. Also the constant Pittsburgh rain didn't help.

-He wants to finish his contract here then extend for 3 more years. While not a direct quote, Rossi mentions his desire to spend 20 years in the leauge with one team.

-He's been training super hard and eliminating the bad habits that led to his lackluster season. His goals are a top-5 scoring finish and obviously winning another cup.

I could never figure out how I shouldn't be the current GM of the Penguins, then I saw this note and it put things in perspective for me.

If Sid had said that to me, I would have shipped both of their tight A$$es out of the country.
Go pens

Reactions: tom_servo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idk, I feel like the "why don't the Penguins bring in Russian players for Malkin?" question can be entirely answered based on the NHL not having that many Russian players. There were only 24 Russian players who played more than half the season last year, and only 34 who even played in a NHL game. There just aren't that many Russian players in the NHL.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Which Russians do you think would work with Sullivan?

What does this even mean?

Here are some Russians I think would be fine:

Kucherov, Ovechkin, Radulov, Orlov, Dadanov, anyone else with OV. Any Russian in the league tbh.

This Sullivan hates skill forwards nonsense is dumb and completely predicated on your feelings about Sprong who once again was a healthy scratch by both his Ducks coaches.

Reactions: billybudd

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I could never figure out how I shouldn't be the current GM of the Penguins, then I saw this note and it put things in perspective for me.

If Sid had said that to me, I would have shipped both of their tight A$$es out of the country.
Go pens

Heaven forbid the captain do his duty.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Ach, nevermind Sully. He's been here three and a half years. Gonchar left in 2010 (although obviously has been around as a coach since then). There's, what, about 5 years where they might have done something, and what did they do other than Plotnikov? Why not try and draft and develop some of them?

Maybe it's difficult to find guys who'd fit his style now, but the org in general has flubbed it.

I'll never know for sure, but I suspected that Geno's BFF Kulemin would have been a penguin if Ehrhoff didn't come out of nowhere to seek a team friendly 1 year deal that free agency. He semi-busted with the Isles but I wonder if he would have been a 20/20 guy on Geno's wing, given their previous chemistry.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I am fairly sure that if we somehow got Radulov, Sullivan would be so happy he might even smile.

Idk, I feel like the "why don't the Penguins bring in Russian players for Malkin?" question can be entirely answered based on the NHL not having that many Russian players. There were only 24 Russian players who played more than half the season last year, and only 34 who even played in a NHL game. There just aren't that many Russian players in the NHL.

It's a fair point. But we could at least try. It doesn't look like we even scout Russia for the draft.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Eh, if the Penguins actually considered moving Malkin, I think they could still get a Trocheck caliber player or better back for him. In terms of the justification, I think the argument for moving Malkin would be similar to the justification that the Penguins gave for moving Kessel, wanting to make changes and get younger. The difference is that Malkin doesn't have the truck full of baggage that Kessel has.

I've been trying to will VT onto the Penguins since back when the Panthers were projecting him to be a bottom six wing. I love the guy's game and always have. With Simmonds's game deteriorating a bit over the last couple years, Trochek might be my favorite non-Penguin in the sport.

I don't think what you're suggesting is a wise course of action at all.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I am fairly sure that if we somehow got Radulov, Sullivan would be so happy he might even smile.

It's a fair point. But we could at least try. It doesn't look like we even scout Russia for the draft.

I wonder if part of that is not having the money to afford oversea scouts in the area and the success we’ve had in days Finland and the college market. Better to spend money where we know we can get prospects versus spending money on a 50/50 chance.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ach, nevermind Sully. He's been here three and a half years. Gonchar left in 2010 (although obviously has been around as a coach since then). There's, what, about 5 years where they might have done something, and what did they do other than Plotnikov? Why not try and draft and develop some of them?

Maybe it's difficult to find guys who'd fit his style now, but the org in general has flubbed it.

True, it's not just been Sully.

We've skewed safe/complementary with our picks most of the time, and that probably bleeds into our priorities in terms of whether they'll come over and stay over.

Don't think it's a coincidence that Gooch and Pavlychev are about it in the org. Heavy NA influence.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
What I’m gathering is that this was unprofessional af. Sullivan’s relationship with Kessel deteriorates into a disaster. Sullivan at best lets Malkin be continuously dragged into it and management doesn’t stop that. JR works himself up so badly he’s thinking of trading Malkin until Crosby steps in.

Meanwhile, Malkin while wearing an A is afraid of talking to his teammates and no one notices? I imagine a number of said teammates were intimidated by Malkin being Evgeni f***ing Malkin. Him not talking probably didn’t help but they sure as hell wouldn’t bridge that gap. So management, long-standing players and coaches missed that?

This isn’t “get Geno a Russian.” There’s an underlying problem if all of this is going on with any player let alone a star.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
True, it's not just been Sully.

We've skewed safe/complementary with our picks most of the time, and that probably bleeds into our priorities in terms of whether they'll come over and stay over.

Don't think it's a coincidence that Gooch and Pavlychev are about it in the org. Heavy NA influence.

Just like the other 30 teams in the league..

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've been trying to will VT onto the Penguins since back when the Panthers were projecting him to be a bottom six wing. I love the guy's game and always have. With Simmonds's game deteriorating a bit over the last couple years, Trochek might be my favorite non-Penguin in the sport.

I don't think what you're suggesting is a wise course of action at all.

I don't disagree, I think it would be a bad idea. However, I do see a justification there, albeit being a move that I don't like. I personally wouldn't do it, I just think the Penguins would have a justification if they did. That's where I'm at when it comes to trading Malkin, it's a bad idea but I'd understand the justifications the Penguins could make for it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What does this even mean?

Here are some Russians I think would be fine:

Kucherov, Ovechkin, Radulov, Orlov, Dadanov, anyone else with OV. Any Russian in the league tbh.

This Sullivan hates skill forwards nonsense is dumb and completely predicated on your feelings about Sprong who once again was a healthy scratch by both his Ducks coaches.

I never said Sullivan hates skilled forwards. He has problems with offense-only forwards and players who don't tow the party line, and there are a fair number of Russians who fit that profile. He'll tolerate it for superstar talents, but that's about it.

The idea that this is "completely predicated on Sprong" ignores a lot.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I never said Sullivan hates skilled forwards. He has problems with offense-only forwards and players who don't tow the party line, and there are a fair number of Russians who fit that profile. He'll tolerate it for superstar talents, but that's about it.

The idea that this is "completely predicated on Sprong" ignores a lot.

Is this a straight quote from Don Cherry? Who are these Russians?

He seemed to have no problem with offensive only forwards in Kessel, Sheary, And Guentzel on the way to two cups.

It’s pretty obvious that the issue with Kessel was far beyond his on ice play. Same thing with Sprong.

Sullivan’s entire system is predicated on offense only.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad