News Article: Malkin Opens up about 18-19 season

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'll admit I didn't read it, but based on the comments here, there's a few nuggets in there I guess, but the biggest take aways for me are:

1. Crosby's the man
2. Malkin's the man
3. The situation with Kessel was ugly and it was best for everyone involved to move on

I knew all of those things before the Rossi article.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Let me summarize...

We are back to the beginning. The team is better "with", Kessel, Malkin, isn't happy with how this last season played out, and people are still trying to correlate Kessel for why Malkin had said bad season.

Oh..... Let's be friends 'til the end.

P6OCcTl.gif

You're cured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is actually shocking, to be honest. I thought Malkin and Kessel got along well, at least off the ice. Yeah, they may have had serious problems when playing together, but I can't imagine that makes him demand a trade.

I don't think there are many Kessel truthers left at this point, but this is a fantastic point to bring up to the people who just say "Kessel put up points". Kessel was so bad outside of his point production that he nearly pushed Evgeni Malkin to demand a trade.

This is actually really encouraging to see, I was assuming he was done after this contract but I'd love to get him extended.
I think the issue was more that he was in the middle and just wanted it solved and he argued with both Sully and Kessel. No one wants to be the guy that gets a coach fired so kessel it was.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Eh. I am ready to trade everyone at some point at least 82 times a year.

But no one caused Kessel to be traded but himself.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kessel was a good guy. But hes not on the team anymore so who gives a shit? I mean, really? Who gives a f*** how he and Geno performed with anyone? That situation literally will not happen this season. May as well look up Sid and Kunitz stats and discuss them while were at it.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I'm actually curious about things like this. Do other players think Johnson is as bad as analytics suggest he is or fans think he is? I don't think any player would go to a GM to demand a bad player gets moved, but do these players privately want these guys to get shipped out?

I'm sure the players aren't seeing him as being that bad. The analytics crowed tends to overblow things. No way JJ's impact can be that big as to cause 87, 71, 81 and 58 to have 2g, 7p between them in the Islanders sweep.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kessel was a good guy. But hes not on the team anymore so who gives a ****? I mean, really? Who gives a **** how he and Geno performed with anyone? That situation literally will not happen this season. May as well look up Sid and Kunitz stats and discuss them while were at it.

The narrative has been that Malkin and Kessel, while productive, bled goals against last season so that combo was untenable and Kessel had to go. But the stats show that when you take Johnson out of the equation, Malkin and Kessel actually performed better together last season than the year before, in terms of production and possession.

Johnson was the X-factor, not Kessel. Johnson is still here.

Galchenyuk - another offense-only winger - will be flanking Malkin this year. So if Johnson is playing behind them as often as he was with Malkin-Kessel, there is cause for concern.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The narrative has been that Malkin and Kessel, while productive, bled goals against last season so that combo was untenable and Kessel had to go. But the stats show that when you take Johnson out of the equation, Malkin and Kessel actually performed better together last season than the year before, in terms of production and possession.

Johnson was the X-factor, not Kessel. Johnson is still here.

Galchenyuk - another offense-only winger - will be flanking Malkin this year. So if Johnson is playing behind them as often as he was with Malkin-Kessel, there is cause for concern.

I will support the narrative that Johnson was an issue but I will continue to demean people who think it was the sole issue. To simply suggest that everything outside of JJ was peachy is delusional. I doubt the fights between Kessel and Sullivan were about Johnson.

With that, I highly doubt we see Johnson on the 2nd pairing with Schultz and attached to Malkin.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I will support the narrative that Johnson was an issue but I will continue to demean people who think it was the sole issue. To simply suggest that everything outside of JJ was peachy is delusional. I doubt the fights between Kessel and Sullivan were about Johnson.

With that, I highly doubt we see Johnson on the 2nd pairing with Schultz and attached to Malkin.

True. But there's a good argument that it compounded the problem.

Hopefully they minimize JJ's presence to the point where it's a non-issue for Geno and Gooch.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Chiclets crew digs into the article/Malkin stuff a bit. All pretty skeptical that Malkin wanted Kessel gone, etc.

That was good. I also wonder if Biz's point about after season meetings may well have been what led to the rumors of Malkin demanding a trade.

Consider this scenario (which is entirely speculation): JR asks Malkin if Kessel's become a problem. Malkin responds with, "I can't play with him anymore." Malkin thinks he's saying that he can't play on the same line anymore. JR and others in the room think Malkin's saying that "it's him or me."

So, "sources" can say that they heard that Malkin demanded a trade while Malkin denies it. And neither would be lying. It's just that one isn't correct, because there was a misunderstanding.

Additionally, this may also make JR's unwillingness to say he wouldn't trade Malkin fit with the fact that he never actually tried to do so. If JR believed (albeit incorrectly) that it was either Kessel or Malkin, then he had to hedge his bets in case he couldn't trade Kessel. Of course, if this is the case, that doesn't look for JR, because he absolutely should have made sure he was understanding Malkin properly.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That was good. I also wonder if Biz's point about after season meetings may well have been what led to the rumors of Malkin demanding a trade.

Consider this scenario (which is entirely speculation): JR asks Malkin if Kessel's become a problem. Malkin responds with, "I can't play with him anymore." Malkin thinks he's saying that he can't play on the same line anymore. JR and others in the room think Malkin's saying that "it's him or me."

So, "sources" can say that they heard that Malkin demanded a trade while Malkin denies it. And neither would be lying. It's just that one isn't correct, because there was a misunderstanding.

Additionally, this may also make JR's unwillingness to say he wouldn't trade Malkin fit with the fact that he never actually tried to do so. If JR believed (albeit incorrectly) that it was either Kessel or Malkin, then he had to hedge his bets in case he couldn't trade Kessel. Of course, if this is the case, that doesn't look for JR, because he absolutely should have made sure he was understanding Malkin properly.

I feel like the same thing happened between the team and Kessel. JR said that Kessel asked to be traded multiple times, but Kessel denied that right after the trade. I think what happened was that Kessel said things that JR interpreted as asking for a trade, but Kessel wasn't actually asking for a trade.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah this is exactly it.

I think it seems pretty obvious that Malkin was far past fatigued with the nonstop squabbling between Sullivan and Kessel. And who can blame him. And knowing Malkin, especially... there was less than zero chance that he was going to go up against Sullivan. For one he respects him too much. It's also telling that there seems to be some indication that Malkin was concerned about Kessel's hunger and didn't want to be associated with that same attitude as his full time linemate. That bodes very well for this year combined with some other things we have been reading and seeing.

I still have lots of reservations on how the team has set up it's second most important player this year after so much bellyaching about how much better he has to be. But it's tough not to get excited about an angry Geno with a huge chip on his shoulder looking like he just got done pulling tanks out of the bottom of the Volga by hand all Summer long.
Sully also seemed to beef with Geno but tried harder to smooth that out knowing Crosby would also be pissed off. I call 100% bs that Phil was the issue, it's so clear who is and I am curious how this plays out when nothing changes there.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Too much shit going on with who said this who said that. I'm going with Occams razor here. The simplest explenation tends to be the right one. I'm going with Geno did not ask to be traded if Kessel is here. As for whatever else, I could care less. HOCKEY'S COMING BACK!!!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Kessel was a good guy. But hes not on the team anymore so who gives a ****? I mean, really? Who gives a **** how he and Geno performed with anyone? That situation literally will not happen this season. May as well look up Sid and Kunitz stats and discuss them while were at it.

KCD for lyfe!

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well, I mean... one can never be too calm, yeah?

And I'll never dispute Rossi's "connected" status. Obviously he gets access. To deny that is pretty cement-headed. I just don't know how much that parlays into "accuracy" and "integrity." At least all the time. I've just read too much of his junk in the past, I guess.

I don't care who he's connected with. He's unbearable. It disgusts me that the Athletic hired him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad