Malkin, Crosby, Kessel on different Lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If the coaching staff puts Kessel on a line without either Crosby or Malkin, I will officially stop cheering for the Pens because I'll have come to the realization they're ****ing stupid.

Keeping Scuderi (and Kunitz to a lesser degree) around is already testing my patience as a fan. Not playing Kessel with one of the two star centers would be just too much for me to take.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
The fact that we could put Kessel on the third line and still have a pretty respectable top 6 speaks loads for where this team has come from.

And while I don't agree with the idea, I can say it does have some merit. Would give Bennett top 6 playing time with Malkin, and you could throw Kessel on with Crosby or Malkin for the occasional shift. And with PP time (and maybe PK for Crosby or Malkin) all three could easily play 20 minutes a game.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think you guys are giving OP a needlessly hard time, it's not the worst idea (assuming a Kessel-Malkin/Crosby combo doesn't really click). Abandon the traditional ranked line approach and run three lines built around around a catalyst for equal ice time even-strength. Kessel is much more than a sniper, and he's not a set piece triggerman. You have three players that can spin straw into gold in terms of pulling offense out of linemates.

If playing with Malkin/Crosby doesn't see BOTH Kessel and the centre's numbers improved drastically then it's a waste on the margin. If they're not going to help each other, let them boost others

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Didn't acquire Kessel to play on a line like he did in Toronto with a 3rd line centre.

Didn't acquire Kessel to not play with either Malkin or Sid.

Didn't acquire Kessel to decrease the ice time of Sid, Malkin or Kessel (as splitting them up would call for decreased ice time in the form of all getting equal time, which being on separate lines would mean the top 2 lines are getting decreased ice time, or whoever gets bumped to the 3rd line getting 3rd line minutes).

Didn't acquire Kessel balance out the scoring in the lineup.

This idea only holds water if the bottom falls out with him being centered by Sid and Geno. This isn't something to even consider on August 21st.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The problem has been it's too easy to shadow (and sometimes double-team) Sid and Geno when they're out there by themselves. So the point of adding top 6 wingers, and in particular an elite winger like Kessel, is that you can no longer do that (at least on whatever line Kessel is playing on). So putting him on his own line is extremely pointless.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The problem has been it's too easy to shadow (and sometimes double-team) Sid and Geno when they're out there by themselves. So the point of adding top 6 wingers, and in particular an elite winger like Kessel, is that you can no longer do that (at least on whatever line Kessel is playing on). So putting him on his own line is extremely pointless.

Yeah, there's three main reasons they got shutdown. No winger to punish the opposition for collapsing on Crosby and Malkin, now they have Perron (I know, I know, a revitalized Kunitz, Plotnikov, Bennett on his off wing and Bonino can all easily replace the pos) and Kessel. A ****** bottom 6 wasn't a threat so the poorly built top 6 was the only thing to focus on, that's been addressed. Defensemen who can't move the puck or take pressure off the forwards, that should be better if they stay healthy. At least 2 of those will be handled if they don't willingly **** it up. Then there's the system...

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia
Kessel on line 3.

Under what circumstances would it come to pass? For him to cut up ice like a cherry picking jelly bean? A match-up with the other team .. is there a situation where the coach taps his shoulder maybe because he's been skating too fast and they want to run him like a wild beast? Maybe they throw him out against Phaneuf?

I like the idea even if it is an odd-y. It's possible Malkin and Crosby may get hurt at the same time. Then he'd take the load.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
well it is a hockey website. what you expect,? people not talking about line-ups?

Yeah, we acquired Kessel to play him on the third line with ****ing Bonino.

This isn't hockey discussion. This is "It's ****ing August and people are so bored that it's making them stupid."

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think you guys are giving OP a needlessly hard time, it's not the worst idea (assuming a Kessel-Malkin/Crosby combo doesn't really click). Abandon the traditional ranked line approach and run three lines built around around a catalyst for equal ice time even-strength. Kessel is much more than a sniper, and he's not a set piece triggerman. You have three players that can spin straw into gold in terms of pulling offense out of linemates.

It is the worst idea, though. The entire point of bringing in a guy like Kessel is so Malkin or Crosby will finally have a winger who can help them from being smothered. The entire point is because it was easier for opposing teams to just double team Sid or Geno because their wingers couldn't make the other team pay. Now they can.

There's a reason Jari Kurri played with Gretzky, even though it might have made the Oilers a deeper team if Kurri played on line 3 or 4 and Gretz got saddled with 2 fourth liners. There's a reason when Stamkos and St. Louis were on the same team, they were linemates. There's a reason Anaheim keeps Getzlaf and Perry together.

That's the concept that the OP ignores. And that's why it is, in fact, a really stupid idea.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Tactically in the right circumstances is not a terrible idea to split them for match-ups. I would rather a coach make in game adjustments than simply horse it up like DB. I think he slots with Sid or Geno but he will play with other centres out of injury or game situations as well. I don't think the OP means keeping Kessel separate as a rule.

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013
"Pens need to acquire an elite winger for Sid or Geno!"

*Pens acquire elite winger for Sid or Geno*

"They need their elite winger to play on the third line, that will be better than with Sid or Geno!"

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
We're not THAT stacked...

I mean, without a salary cap & a bigger market for Pittsburgh, get another elite winger then yeah, why not...

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
It is the worst idea, though. The entire point of bringing in a guy like Kessel is so Malkin or Crosby will finally have a winger who can help them from being smothered. The entire point is because it was easier for opposing teams to just double team Sid or Geno because their wingers couldn't make the other team pay. Now they can.

There's a reason Jari Kurri played with Gretzky, even though it might have made the Oilers a deeper team if Kurri played on line 3 or 4 and Gretz got saddled with 2 fourth liners. There's a reason when Stamkos and St. Louis were on the same team, they were linemates. There's a reason Anaheim keeps Getzlaf and Perry together.

That's the concept that the OP ignores. And that's why it is, in fact, a really stupid idea.

PLEASE LISTEN, I never suggested the Penguins should start the season with Kessel on the third nor did I ever say "THE PENGUINS SHOULD PUT KESSEL ON THE THIRD LINE" , what I suggested is that if the Penguins run into another issue (like the lack of scoring in the playoffs) an adjustment of making all three lines balanced (scoring wise) could help us not lose 1-0 every ****ing game.

This was a hypothetical post and instead of people entertaining it or even giving it a thought, most of you just tried to show your HOCKEY KNOWLEDGE MUSCLES on the forum, which is actually pretty humorous.

Furthermore, if you aren't able to think of scenario where this could happen, than I don't know what else to say but it is defiantly possible.

I REPEAT: I DON'T WANT OR THINK THAT PHIL KESSEL WILL PLAY ON THE THIRD LINE ON OPENING NIGHT, DESPITE HOW SOME OF YOU TRIED TO SPIN THE POST!

Last edited:

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
People are overreacting. It's not a bad idea. Would you do it every shift no but in the playoffs to create a matchup nightmare every once and a while I'm not opposed.

It would have to be used very rarely but I can see big goals resulting from it in the right situation.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
If the coaching staff puts Kessel on a line without either Crosby or Malkin, I will officially stop cheering for the Pens because I'll have come to the realization they're ****ing stupid.

Keeping Scuderi (and Kunitz to a lesser degree) around is already testing my patience as a fan. Not playing Kessel with one of the two star centers would be just too much for me to take.

Sums up my feelings. It's bad enough that Dupuis or Kunitz could very well be in the top 6 at various points this season. As said previously, it's fine if it's used sparingly to shake things up if we're struggling to generate offense some nights. But Kessel was brought in for a reason. And that's to play with Sid and/or Geno.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
If it came to this, it means we would probably be F'd. Cause it would take a prolonged period of time of Kessell not working with Sid or Geno. And it would be a desperation move.

And if talking playoffs.......it would not be the time to be experimenting with such. And if we did go three games in the playoffs not scoring, or only scoring one goal per game, it means (unless MAF is pitching shutouts) we are going to be down 0-3 and on the brink of elimination. If that's the case, heck, why not? It would be desperation time. Try anything I guess if we go scoreless in three games, or only score one per.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
PLEASE LISTEN, I never suggested the Penguins should start the season with Kessel on the third nor did I ever say "THE PENGUINS SHOULD PUT KESSEL ON THE THIRD LINE" , what I suggested is that if the Penguins run into another issue (like the lack of scoring in the playoffs) an adjustment of making all three lines balanced (scoring wise) could help us not lose 1-0 every ****ing game.

This was a hypothetical post and instead of people entertaining it or even giving it a thought, most of you just tried to show your HOCKEY KNOWLEDGE MUSCLES on the forum, which is actually pretty humorous.

Furthermore, if you aren't able to think of scenario where this could happen, than I don't know what else to say but it is defiantly possible.

I REPEAT: I DON'T WANT OR THINK THAT PHIL KESSEL WILL PLAY ON THE THIRD LINE ON OPENING NIGHT, DESPITE HOW SOME OF YOU TRIED TO SPIN THE POST!

The problem is your idea, even if it's only utilized "in certain situations" or "to shake things up" is still a bad one because it ignores the fact that a]that means we're back to having Sid and Geno having to carry their line's offense again, which has failed multiple years in a row, so why would it work now? and b]that you expect Kessel to still give you top end production while playing with lesser players instead of giving him two world class centers to play with.

If the Pens ever get to the point where they need to put Kessel on the third line because it's not working or they're not successful with him in the top two lines, then as td said above (paraphrasing), we're in deep **** at that point. The Pens have failed the last few seasons because Sid and Geno get swarmed in the playoffs and their wingers aren't good enough to help them out. Playing a winger who could solve that problem on the third line just means we'll see L1 and L2 look like ass again.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Meh, agree to disagree. Maybe I have a higher opinion of Hornqvist/Perron. Obviously the point is moot if if Kessel hits it off with one of C/M, but a 30-40 goal Kessel on Crosby's wing is a waste of both of their abilities to elevate other players (IMO).

As an opposition fan, a top 9

Perron-Crosby-Bennett
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Bonino-Kessel

is absolutely terrifying.

For years I've seen Kessel's ability to elevate lesser talents (and I'd say Bonino is better than Bozak) and continue to put up 30 goals, while being the oppositions prime shut down target. The idea of what he could do against third pairings...

Obviously it's not the prime option, but if Kessel is playing with Crosby/Malkin and not putting up 50, you just gave up a 1st, two good prospects and a solid 3rd liner for a 10-15 goal upgrade, and I think considering other options to potentially maximize the acquisition would be an ok thing.

But again, purely as a back up plan. Obviously the hope is that he hits it off with one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad