Malkin, Crosby, Kessel on different Lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
There has been an assumption that Kessel will automatically play with Crosby or Malking (and he probably will) but thinking about how our first two lines have gotten shut down in the playoffs the past few seasons makes me think, if we get into a similar spot this year, it could be interesting to split up the stars.

The Good: One of the oppositions top (4) defense will not be able to match up against all three lines. I assume in Toronto, Kessel was always up against the oppositions top defensmen and he was still successful.

I know this is probably not ideal, but I wanted to get thoughts about running these three lines.

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
? Malkin - Perron
Plotnikov - Bonino/Fehr - Kessel

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
wpNIWlK.jpg

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Penguins acquire one of the top wingers in the game.

Put him on the third line.

Brilliant idea!!

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
Penguins acquire one of the top wingers in the game.

Put him on the third line.

Brilliant idea!!

Did you read the post?

So if we have 3 goals in 3 games against the Rangers again in the playoffs, do you just continue with the same lines or do you try something new?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The first time they do it, I am bumping this thread for the trolls. ;/

You may be right.

Of course that would also confirm that the coach is the amateur-hour doof that I kind of suspect him to be. But you may be right.

I kinda see where you are coming from, I guess. Crosby, Kessel and Malkin all love to have the puck on their stick. They are all gamebreakers. Spreading the wealth around might seem like a good idea on the surface. But I think it will prove much more useful to actually have Kessel provide direct support for the top two lines by being on one of them.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
BB-Malkin-Sundqvist
Perron-Bonino-Kessel
Plotkinov-Fehr-Hornqvist

Now let's get top 6 wingers, our bottom 6 is amazeballs.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
There has been an assumption that Kessel will automatically play with Crosby or Malking (and he probably will) but thinking about how our first two lines have gotten shut down in the playoffs the past few seasons makes me think, if we get into a similar spot this year, it could be interesting to split up the stars.

The Good: One of the oppositions top (4) defense will not be able to match up against all three lines. I assume in Toronto, Kessel was always up against the oppositions top defensmen and he was still successful.

I know this is probably not ideal, but I wanted to get thoughts about running these three lines.

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
? Malkin - Perron
Plotnikov - Bonino/Fehr - Kessel

Pens aren't winning if Malkin and Crosby are shut down completely. They have a better chance of not being shut down if Kessel play with one of them, Perron plays on the LW where he belongs, and Kunitz-Hornqvist is not a thing unless injuries and never in the playoffs.

They would be better off trying a monster line:

Malkin-Crosby-Kessel
Kunitz-Bonino-Hornqvist
Perron-Fehr-Dupuis
Plotnikov-Cullen-Bennett

Last edited:

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013
Did you read the post?

So if we have 3 goals in 3 games against the Rangers again in the playoffs, do you just continue with the same lines or do you try something new?

Sure try something new. But if that something new involves Kessel on the third line it's moronic.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Did you read the post?

Of course I read the post.

Kessel will help Crosby/Malkin to not get shut down. Move around everyone else except Crosby/Malkin and Kessel, to see what works.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Pens aren't winning if Malkin and Crosby are shut down completely. They have a better chance of not being shut down if Kessel play with one of them, Perron plays on the LW where he belongs, and Kunitz-Hornqvist is not a thing unless injuries and never in the playoffs.

They would be better off trying a monster line:

Malkin-Crosby-Kessel
Kunitz-Bonino-Hornqvist
Perron-Fehr-Dupuis
Plotnikov-Cullen-Bennett

Amazing what having depth can do for the team.

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
You are advocating putting one of Crosby, Kessel, or Malkin on the third line. This is an unquestionably bad idea.

However, having not 2 but 3 world-class offensive players makes it much easier to have more double-shifting of them going on and get them out there against 3rd-pairing D men. i.e have them play top 6 AND bottom 6

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
Okay, I get it. It won't/shouldn't happen. It was just a thought and not something I think should happen. Just wanted opinions.

Last edited:

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Okay, I get it. It's won't/shouldn't happen. It was just a thought and not something I think should happen. Just wanted opinions.

I don't think it's an idea totally without merit; however it is a last resort after trying every other permutation of Kessel with Crosby, Malkin or both.

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
In a word, no. I don't think its a good idea.

HOWEVER, on a rare occasion where we can exploit a matchup, I'm all for putting Kessel on the 3rd line for a shift or two per game (no more than 10% of his ice time) just to freak out the opponent and maybe Kessel can get a goal. Let him swap with Bennett for those instances. Let Bennett get a little time on the top 6 to see if he can find his game there again.

I would never advocate for this permanently, but maybe in a couple games where the top lines are getting worn out by the other team's defense and they could use a jolt from the 3rd line, and seeing Kessel on it will make the other team **** bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad